Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Feb 20, 2010.

1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

2. shoshani

shoshani Fixing A Hole Where The Rain Gets In

I'm actually wondering how they got two sessions approved for the same day! AFM had a strict rule during the 1930s, 40s and probably at least into the 1950s, that no recording session could last longer than three hours, and no more than four sides could be recorded during a session.

All those cats were playing live, undubbed, and my guess is that the union didn't want their chops blown because they were likely playing a live appearance later that night.

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Interestingly enough, there has always been some mystery associated with the after-dinner session, because Capitol did not give it a separate session number. Perhaps that's the reason why. (There is an AFM contract report, however.)

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It should be noted that the reverse is true in the UK. I.e., the Walsh is still in print there, and it is easily available for a bargain price:

(For those ordering from the US, the price is 15% less than shown at Amazon UK, because the included VAT tax is not charged. Even with typical foreign currency fees of 3%, it should be a no-brainer for US customers from where to order Capitol CDs. ;))

CBackley likes this.
  6. DJ WILBUR

7. MLutthans

8. DJ WILBUR

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have a friend who owns the original 4 track tape of this, the early duplication at 7 1/2 IPS. I'll have him pull it out and play it for me and report back about the sonics. Songs mirror the Stereo LP.

10. MLutthans

Cool - thanks! If you can get him to share an actual audio sample, that would be even more cool...:thumbsup:

11. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I'm glad to be able to contribute to Matt's site. However, the 3.75 ips reel is hardly a rarity (and neither is the earlier 7.5 ips version). A clean 9 o'clock label LP is probably much harder to come by.

Arne

12. DJ WILBUR

haha, well it certainly is rare to me...:agree:. I can play vinyl, but not reel to reels so I don't think about their existence in quantity or otherwise. Yet its a way to hear this recording in yet another analogue presentation that most in here probably have never heard...

13. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

...and not a bad one to my ears, albeit with lots of hiss.

14. MLutthans

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    CBackley likes this.
  15. DJ WILBUR

thanks for your thoughts, the three MFSL releases on this title do seem definitive to me too. this was an illuminating listen overall...

16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Great work!

I've got the MFSL mono gold cd and two Norbergs stereos (single disc with bonus tracks and the one from the mini-Concepts box with no bonuses). Your site/comparisons have got me thinking about my copies. Sonically -- piece of cake, the MFSL crushes the Norbergs. But I'm torn about stereo/mono.

The mono has a nice intimate feel, goes great with Riddle and the earlier Capitol albums...more late night and old. However, you're right -- the reverb on Frank's vocal is more pronounced since the orchestra is drier. Also -- even though this is Riddle -- it still feels like a "newer" album to me, i.e., from a different era than say Wee Small and Swingin' Lovers, etc.

So...with that, the stereo does feels more "right" with the time/age of the recording. And, yes, the reverb is more balanced between singer and background/orchestration on the stereo. And it's great stereo...two mics and all that surrounding ambiance.

Back to the mono -- Nelson Riddle sounds great in mono...intimate, late night and the instruments are more detailed.

I don't know.

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The mono and stereo recordings sound so different from each other - they're like two different albums.

Sim2 likes this.
  18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Maybe my Favorite recording from Frank , I have the cd that came in the 14 - cd "concepts box" & my Vinyl copy is a rainbow label with the 12 o'clock logo which actually sounds pretty nice .

19. DJ WILBUR

yes, you really need both mixes on this one. they are different experiences for me as well.

20. MLutthans

"Bad tape formulation"

I almost posted this as a separate thread, but then I decided to place it here instead to avoid clutter in the forum:

So, the story goes (and it has been printed in liner notes, so it must be true) that in 1958 3M sent some new/different/experimental 1/2-inch tape formulation to Capitol, and Capitol used it on Sinatra's ONLY THE LONELY album, and the tape didn't "match well" with the Ampex 3-track machine used on the session, which is why the stereo version is so "hissy."

Does anybody have the real "dirt" on this story? A few things seem odd to me:

1. Why would Capitol try these new tapes "sight unseen" on (of all things) a SINATRA session? Why not on (no offense) Jimmie Lunceford or Les Baxter or something like that? (In other words, why not on an artist in their non-superstar tier?)
    2. Sessions on the Sinatra album took place over the period of roughly a month. Were no other sessions by other artists recorded using the same tape type during that time period? Anybody know what those albums might be?
    3. I understand that the stereo sessions at Capitol at this time were of secondary status, but at some point, wouldn't somebody have said, "Hey, this new tape sure is hissy?"
    4. The single "Monique" was recorded at the same sessions. Is that song "extra hissy?" I haven't noticed extra hiss on it, but I also have not listened to it critically.

Thoughts? Info?

Matt

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Haven't all stereo CDs been NR'd for this album?

Evan

22. MLutthans

To my ears, yes. There have only been two CDs, and both are NR'd remixes, although the Walsh seems to use gentle NR when compared to the sledgehammer NR of the Norberg.

Matt

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Agree, but even Walsh's disc the processing is too heavy. The noise reduction on Norberg's makes it sound like its in a vacuum.

I've been curious about the bad formulation thing too. I'd love to have the opportunity to see the 3 track tapes and check what the model of tape used is. I've wondered if they just recorded at too low a level, for whatever reason.

Aren't the songs recorded at the first session relatively noisier than the others? I can't check myself right now...

24. MLutthans

Anybody know of any other Capitol dates from May or June of 1958, maybe some Nat Cole or George Shearing or something? I'd love to check those recordings for hiss problems.

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

When was THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU recorded? Wasn't that around May 1958? That's not hissy...