Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

John Mayall is another compatriot who runs a tight ship; former Bluesbreaker band members have said similar things as about Anderson. Artists generally aren't down with any sort of top down structure. Anderson & Mayall have had 40+ years of success and still tour, so that says a lot.

There's several ways to interpret Keef's statement (if its accurately stated). Its not like he had settled into a working relationship with Ian and the others. His experience sounds like the kind of thing people go through when they're 'temp'-ing somewhere.

The guy who 'knows' or runs the show has a new person to work with, so they're taking no chances and can come across as a bit overbearing....meanwhile the new or temp person is suddenly in a clique that been together a while... so their short term recollections or perceptions have to be taken in context.

2. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Funnily enough, Keef played with John Mayall and was ultimately sacked like everybody else, but he has nothing but good things to say about Mayall. They remain friends to this day.
    At the time Keef was more established player that any of the Tull guys. Basically all he says is that 1) it wasn't very much fun 2) Ian Anderson was a bit of a bugger. His two week stint with Tull is not big deal in his autobiography, more like an interesting sidenote.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It just corresponds to side A & side B of the LP. There is a fade anyway between the two, the music isn't really continuous.

Plus, it makes it somewhat easier to get to the specific parts you'd like to hear on CD. They should have dividied it up even more like MoFi did for A Passion Play IMO.

4. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

There is a specific set of "Edits" associated with TAAB. My buddy and I took WAVs of the album tracks and split them up into an "Edits" CD with gapless playback when we were in high school. This is in the early days of CD burning, with Goldwave and we were just discovering things like overburn.

We also recreated the MFSL track splits of A Passion Play, which I got a lot of mileage out of.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

6. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

to be sad is a mad way to be

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=video&thread=873&page=1
    Man, to be sad is a mad way to be, but those videos make me sad. I was feeling sad the last time Tull was in town because Ian had to stretch for the almost silent voice. It's been said that Ian's voice is not too bad sounding in the studio. Stop touring and save that unique voice for the studio. There must be an addiction to touring here. Or maybe money speaks.

2010: How sad
    http://thejethrotullboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=tullvideo&thread=766&page=1
    Yikes! Too old to rock, too young to croak.
    I hate special guests at Tull concerts - They usually lead to a shorter Tull performance.
    Molson Canadian Amphitheatre's summer lineup - Toronto, Ontario - Jethro Tull June 18 with very special guests Procol Harum
    http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2010/03/08/13161271-qmi.html
    Molson Canadian Amphitheatre's summer lineup:
    http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/....iew-1128599.htm
    The last time at this venue the Tull set was cut short because of the opening act Saga. The price of our tickets is not going to Procol Harum, and for the first time in a long line of Toronto Tull shows, not to Tull, as we're not going. (sarcastic) I'm sure his pocket book will take the hit for the price of two admission tickets plus the t-shirts, pins and no stinkin' badges that I picked up for everyone who requested such... :winkgrin: I mean no harm.

:laugh: Then again think of all the seats we're selling because of posting the concert dates. hehehe The Tull legacy begs for our respect. Let Ian trod on...as he chased the money-men away. I wanna be no Saboteur. Be no, be no Saboteur.

7. tootull

I'll drink a toast to a decent voice.

:cheers:

8. tootull

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/entertainment/theatre_and_dance/s/2067307_jethro_tull_at_the_hexagon

9. ...Wow, this IS pathetic!! And I DO appreciate Jethro Tull - so no thread crapping here - but I have been saying it for years and years: Ian should have stopped singing altogether on stage from the mid 90s on and actually hire a good singer member to do the songs, as bizarre as it may (still?) seems to some (Santana?... Zappa?... anyone?). He is an excellent and many-faceted instrumentalist (and probably even a better flutist now than when he was young!), still with great stage presence...

The last time I saw them was '97, and even then it was getting too painful, so I decided I'd stop going less things changed again...

10. Doctor Flang

Dear Lord, his voice sounds bad. I really don't know why he keeps touring - and playing material he is no longer physically capable of doing.

And i don't like the band playing either. It's prog muzak.

11. fatman2

fatman2 New Member

I know exactly what you mean by your comment about the band. I noticed the same thing in watching the vids. They have so muted the attack, as to have taken the teeth out of the music completely, turning it into muzak.

Excellent observation, Doctor.

Jeff

12. The original, nearly all acoustic version of Life Is A Long Song sounds HEAVIER than this live electric band one...

13. Doctor Flang

True. The original is BOTH HEAVIER AND GENTLER than this version. The recent version has zero musical substance. If you take away the strained vocals you are left with a piece of music you can hear in a cheap restaurant.

14. tootull

Too true, prog muzak = hit the nail on the head.

15. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

The difference in seeing Tull in the Fall of 1989 at the Dallas State Fair Coliseum, and then ten years later, at "The Bass Hall" in Ft. Worth, was night and day.

The State Fair Coliseum show was amazing.

The Bass Hall performance was under-whelming. I haven't been back to see the band since. I'm going to hold onto the great performances I've seen to date.

16. tootull

Sadly, Ian Anderson's singing voice has been of concern for too long now.

Under Wraps - "I think it was a great album in terms of sound, in terms of actual song, particularly I was singing really well. The best I've ever sung was on that album. Sadly it was the singing of that material on tour in 1984 that actually caused the difficulties with my larynx. Whether it was the nature of the songs or just the intensity of it I don't know, but it was a shame." - Ian Anderson 1993
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=tour&action=display&thread=663&page=8

17. Doctor Flang

For me it's not just that his voice has lowered. It's also his way of singing way behind the beat that makes some of the more aggressive songs sound just plain lazy. And the guys in the band are playing everything too laid back and slow. "Hunt by Numbers" - it doesn't rock, groove or swing.

I know, i'm grumpy.

18. I think he is singing behind the beat BECAUSE his voice is shot. If you listen to Life Is A Long Song, in the clip above (two pages back), when he does the refrain and he strains on the high (!) notes, the "hushing" happens on the beat, then the note comes out.

19. Doctor Flang

You may well be right. Ian has done it for pretty long time now though. The 1993 Beacon Bottoms re-recording of Aqualung is ok until the "do you still remember..." part. Ian sings so behind the beat that it sounds very out-of-place.

20. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I had the same feeling when I saw them in 1999. In 1993 Ian's voice was still pretty good but in 1999 it didn't work at all with the songs.
    There was no spirit at all in the 1999 show because of the vocals, instrumentally still excellent.

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Well, what if he tried writing new music around the limitations of his voice? I suppose that's his other problem, though - coming up with new material and ideas. Shoot, I'd settle for another flute album. I really liked Divinities a lot.

22. I also enjoyed Divinities! He even toured behind it, so I imagine he didn't look that silly, tooting around the stage while not singing...

I also liked Roots To Branches much, and when I went to see them more or less on the trail of that one, I would have preferred a complete show taken up by this new material, given the condition of his voice for singing the old tunes!

23. Doctor Flang

Agree. I really liked Secret Languange of Birds too. Not so much Rupi's Dance or Dot.Com - far too many songs about internet, cats and cafe's.

24. tullist

tullist Forum Resident

I believe this recent video from the acoustic tour shows that there is still some magic left in Ian Anderson, this is only last fall. If u are only a fan of the thunder and lightning Tull, not certain it will make a great impression. So loved the closing 2 tracks on Dot Com, Dog Ear Years and Gift of Roses, and Two Short Planks off Rupi's and absolutely all the instrumentals, I wonder if the same folks who dislike Eurology or Boris Dancing also disliked Elegy, Bouree, Warm Sporran?. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-UiDj_HwI

25. tullist

tullist Forum Resident

As u may know, the second half of that Divinities concert featured almost all songs with singing, mainly classics if I recall right, but with different clothes on. I believe the best Tull tour of the past 20 years remains the Light and Dark tour which came under fire here or elsewhere for setlist violations of some sort, regardless that tour, which featured so many things that had never been played or had not been played since they were new, and had Dave Mattacks as a perfect fit on a much smaller drum kit than Doane uses. Beggars farm brought me to delicious Tullgasm. Additionally it was one of the last Tull tours where Ian's body allowed him to do all the moves, specifically the much missed, by me, flute twirling.

A

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.