Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "A Swingin' Affair" - 1957

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I was doing needle drops of this LP from my grey label copy. And I'm confused. Is my LP in the correct running order? The record jacket starts with The Lonesome Road but the LP starts with Night And Day. Neither of which was mentioned as the lead track in the line up earlier in the thread.

Hmmmmm

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

OK I think I get it. I have an original pressing. The Line up was major league reworked when they pulled Lady Is A Tramp off the album. Lady Is A Tramp is listed on my jacket as the lead track on side 2.

3. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

You probably have a original grey label that was at some point slotted into a later re-issue sleeve by a previous owner. It should start off with 'Night & Day'

I have a 70's reissue of that album that starts with 'Lonesome Road' axes 'Night & Day' and jumbles the whole song arrangement. Wrong.

They did pull 'Lady' off the album before it was issued in 1956, and substituted it with 'No One Ever Tells You' but there aren't any original issues that radically re work the whole LP, until Capitol did it years later.

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Original line up for W 803
    Side 1
    The Lonesome Road
    You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To
    From This Moment On
    Nice Work If You Can Get it
    I Won't Dance
    At Long Last love
    I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good
    I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plan

Side 2
    The Lady Is A Tramp
    If I Had You
    I Wish I Were In Love Again
    I Got Plenty O' Nuttin'
    Oh! Look At Me Now
    Stars Fell On Alabama
    Night And Day

I guess that they already had covers printed before the running order was revised. Used them up to save money.

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Interesting, wonder what the story is there. It's hard to imagine Sinatra, Voyle Gilmore or whoever really intended the album the album to go that way. Before it was 'revised.'

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Exactly. I knew that early printings had "The Lady Is a Tramp" on the cover, but I didn't realize the whole track order was so different. Any chance you can post a photo of that cover?

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

:edthumbs:

Attached Files:

Bob F likes this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Time to burn a CD-R and see how I like it! Thanks for sharing that.

Matt

9. MLutthans

The only other album I know of in which the lead-off track became the closing track when the album was "re-thunk" was "Jesus of Cool" by Nick Lowe, which started with "Music for Money" in its UK release, but ended with that same song when issued in the US as "Pure Pop for Now People."

Night and Day is a VERY effective opening song, IMO, and I'm surprised that it was apparently viewed as the closer initially!

Matt

10. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

And 'Oh! Look At Me Now' is a equivalently great closer.

Is it for certain that this cover wasn't Capitol just being hasty in the printing, for some reason, not awaiting the finalized track lineup?
    It wouldn't be unique example of that, there's other artists albums that have come out that way in early runs.

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Including another Sinatra/Capitol LP - the THIS IS SINATRA VOLUME TWO collection had the songs noted out of correct sequence on the back cover, at least on the original 16 song version.

12. MLutthans

SMILE by the Beach Boys also listed the songs out of order but then said something like "See label for sequence."

Did This is Sinatra, vol. 2 break the songs down by sides like this Sinatra album, though? (I only have the British LP and CD, not USA.)

Matt

13. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, but all the actual gray label records I've seen play and list on the labels the second running order, and have the incorrect order noted on the back cover.

15. stevelucille

I agree. The records are all the same. It's just the covers that list the different running order.

16. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Side two D16

YES!

Today I picked up a couple gray label Swingin' Affairs for $2 each--one happens to be a side two D16. I was absolutely stunned by the sound quality, and got chills hearing some of the tracks. I've been looking for a good copy of this record for years, and they've all been too trashed and dull sounding, but this one's a winner. Fantastically it's a gray label with no groovewear and very little crackle. Side one is N1 #2, and while not as spectacular as the side one D16, it's the best I've yet to hear.:love:

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Glad you like it. No other mastering I've ever heard of the album can touch it, and sadly that's only for about half of it.

18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I've gone through quite a few gray label pressings and my best sounding copy has the exact same stampers. Nice find :righton:

19. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

N1#2, D16

You're right on the money.

The first song I tried on the D16 was "From This Moment On", and not having read your recommendation yet, I wasn't expecting much. That song is a good test for dynamics, surface noise and groovewear, and most copies immediately fail. Anyway, with the D16 it was one of those "whoa, stand back" moments.

Thanks! Good to know.

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Hello gentlemen. I acquired a copy of this album on ebay and it is sort of a strange bird so I thought I would see if anyone has seen this configuration.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...lTFSgAE%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The labels indeed say "Made In England" and it is machine stamped. It's on my table right now so I can't give the matrix numbers. What is unusual is that it was sent to me in a super clean Scranton PA. mono jacket. So my question is : Is this an export pressing? Is there such a thing? I know there are Beatles exports that are similar. The embossed "E" & "T" on the labels must mean something? This is not like any other British pressing I have seen.

Oh yeah, and it sounds great. Very similar to my trashed grey label version. Deep bass, maybe a little rolled back on the highs but so far the best I have heard this album sound. And for once, the ebay description was pretty good. I mean it says NM+, but I would call it NM. There is however, a weird volume drop on "Stars Fell On Alabama".

21. aoxomoxoa

Here's the matrix # :
    W1 803 1N / W2 803 1N

22. stevelucille

Very odd indeed!

Most UK pressings I've seen have the machine stamped block lettering with the same kind of matrix numbers. And the tax stamp numbers near the spindle hole are also common.

Obviously the "Made in England" and "MFD by Capitol Records USA" are the odd parts. Also there are far more UK pressings with the text on side labels than the points labels.

I also have seen Beatles pressings that are similar. And the one I saw was called a British export pressing. But this one is years before. This is the first Sinatra pressing I've seen like that.

I don't remember if the Beatles LP had a US cover. And the cover could have been switched at some point in the last 50 or so years.

Whatever the story is (and hopefully someone else can add more than I) I don't think many were made in that configuration.

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It's interesting because it also has a label that, aside from the "Made in England" note, matches the standard ones used on U.S. pressings made in Scranton circa 1960. Seems to me like Capitol here was sending some labels and covers to England...

24. MLutthans

Aox, is the jacket the usual "glossy" British variety, or the heavier, non-glossy American variety?

Just so we have an ongoing record, here are two snips from the actual Ebay listing, which will become unviewable after a brief time:

Attached Files:

25. aoxomoxoa

The jacket is the standard U.S. mono original with Scranton address. The Essex productions on the label is odd too.

Has anyone seen these matrix numbers before?

i am pretty sure this is not a test pressing, like the ebay seller suggests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.