Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The back cover w/Frank has no "Flight Log" variant at all? Does the one without Frank have a clipboard illustrating the "Flight Log"? Are these both U.S. pressings? Is "Mandalay" on both?

2. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Here is a picture of the two US back covers with the promo copy on the left:
    [​IMG]

3. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Pilot : Frank Sinatra

That's funny. They should have kept that.

McLover likes this.
  4. alex zander

alex zander New Member

this is a very good post.

5. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

The promo copy on the left is the more common one. The one on the right looks a lot like the UK pressing that swapped out Road To Mandalay with It Happened In Monterey. The UK one also mentions Nelson Riddle (Monterey).

Here's a photo of the UK issue.

View attachment 137713

I'd never seen that before on a US cover.

6. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

'Mandalay' of course, having been removed from the UK LP, over protests from the family of Rudyard Kipling.

McLover likes this.
  7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think I remember seeing another U.S. copy with the clipboard back cover, but I thought it was a reissue. It's been a lot of years though. I couldn't figure out why it had the alternate back, as I was used to that from British pressings.

Is the promo a yellow label?

8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Here's the label of the promo copy. It's matrix info is N2/D4#3 while the gray label copy (with the clipboard jacket pictured on the right) is N2/D3.
    [​IMG]

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I've added a clip from the 1970's SM-series reissue LP at the bottom of this page:

http://web.mac.com/mlutthans/iWeb/Site 37/1958 - Come2a.html

Also, I'm still looking for these two versions below. Anybody have them?

1984 "Alan Dell" series British stereo LP
    2000 Millennium Issue (British EMI LP, mono)

Matt

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  10. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

11. MLutthans

I dig the vocal tone on it, but it's seriously lacking in the bass department, probably the least-bass-containing (if that's even a phrase) of all the stereo samples. Aside from that, I thought it was pretty good. The vocal tone reminded me a bit of the early, mono Capitol stuff, i.e., I've Got the World on a String.

....and my copy I bought yesterday was STILL SEALED! :)

MFSL is still the best to my ears, though.

Matt

12. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Yeah, that MFSL has a nice full sound - pricey to locate though. I was also thinking of trying the UK '20 Classic Tracks' version but it's going to suffer from squeezing 10 tracks on one side. I'll pick it up if I can find a really cheap one.

13. MLutthans

14. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I have heard only the mono LP and stereo CD.

Is the high-end distortion I'm hearing on the stereo CD the result of a bad digital transfer, or were there issues with the original stereo recording? I realize from experience that early Capitol stereo could be dodgy, while the mono recordings generally sound terrific. I'd like to upgrade to a better CD if that is possible.

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

There's no way IMHO that you will improve upon an orginal mono LP. I have 2 gray label monos and even the one that is kinda beat up gives a better warm sound than any stereo CD.

16. ShockControl

Agreed, but for the convenience of having it on CD, I wonder if there are CD versions that DON'T have that high-end distortion.

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Which CD? All are in stereo, but there are at least three different mixes of the complete album.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wait, just stop, boys. The "distortion" the guy is hearing is directly on the stereo tape, a bad mic pre during recording. It is NOT on the mono, it IS on the stereo. Such is life.

McLover likes this.
  19. ShockControl

Thanks. Did the mono ever make it to a Mo Fi CD like "Only the Lonely?"

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No. Unfortunately, that was a one-of-a-kind to date.

21. ShockControl

Thanks. Time to burn some of my mono Sinatra LPs onto CD-R!

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have yet to hear one....sorry.

23. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Well I'm glad fate smiled when I went looking for this in late winter and found two very clean gray label mono copies of it locally; one for $5 and one for .99 cts :)

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oh, these gray labels are still out there in good shape. It is just a lucky find when one is REALLY in great shape. I never pass one up if it's cheap and looks good. As Dean said in Ocean's 11..."Sometimes it rains, sometimes the sun's out!"

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

As others have said, that distortion is inherent in the 3 track - limited to one of the three sessions for this album.

Which CD version? All are stereo, but the Walsh version from '87 is much better than the Norberg from '98. There's also the disc in the UK box set.