Hendrix question about "Pali Gap"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

Is this part of a longer jam that turned into this transcendent instrumental? If so, is it circulating?

I don't want to have to buy a book i cant afford at the moment to answer this question.

Thanks!

2. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

3. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

I would also like to know any details on the song, it's an all time favourite

4. masswriter

nobody knows? Chris?

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

When they were recording the basic track for Dolly Dagger the band kept playing for several minutes after Dolly Dagger broke down. Billy Cox started playing the Gimmie Some Loving bass line and the band settled into the Pali Gap pattern. Jimi liked it and added a guitar part but IIRC that is all that was done with it during Jimi's lifetime. It was called "Slow Part" at the time; after Jimi died it was titled "Pali Gap" to tie it in with the awful Rainbow Bridge movie.

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Pali Gap is a jam that evolved after the master take of Dolly Dagger broke down. The jam had no actual title. It was Mike Jeffrey who named it for inclusion on the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack. Pali Gap takes it's name from Hawaii origins...and Hendrix's set in the film comes from a performance in Hawaii.

7. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

8. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

SORRY, DOUBLE POST, ARRGHH !

9. masswriter

and is that whole take something that is "around"?

10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

It isn't. I think the start of Pali Gap is around 3 mins after the Dolly Dagger fade out.

11. masswriter

thanks Chris! I was banking on the notion that it was sort of extracted out like "Captain Coconut" was . .

12. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

Villanova Junction ???

Thanks for asking this question ... it's one I've always had in the back of my mind: do we ever get to hear the full studio take of what Pali Gap evolved out of? ... and so now I know we don't ...

As long as we're talking about where names of songs came from that Jimi didn't name himself, does anyone know how the track that was called Untitled Unstrumental on the Woodstock soundtrack starts to be called Villanova Junction? And does anyone know what Villanova Junction refers to?

13. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Maybe Rainbow Bridge was named after the less impressive crossing on the North Shore in Haleiwa, Oahu, Hawaii. :shrug:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.