Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St. box set with unreleased songs (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

'So Divine' is still on the bonus CD. Its 'previously unreleased' only so far as it comes out a week or so before the Exile reissue is released.

The version of 'All down the line' isn't an outtake AFAIK but is included as a 'sample' of the remastered 'Exile' CD. At least the version on the b-side of 'Plundered my soul' is.

http://www.vvinyl.com/v/rolling-stones-plundered-my-soul/432

3. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Thanks for the info! I don't think that bit about ADTL being just the standard version was known here yet (or, at least, not written). Is that because only VV has confirmed that, and that may still be up for debate? Or, is this now a settled matter?

4. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Well its confirmed today that it was the 'standard' version on the b-side of Plundered My soul.

I'm assuming its the same on this 'preview' 7-inch. Cant really imagine them keeping an 'exclusive' track for something thats almost impossible to get for most people.

Kinda fits that 'ADTL' would be the same version on BOTH b-sides. Its purpose seems to be as a 'taster' for the remastered 'Exile'.

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just a couple of weeks ago some people were saying there was no chance that Taylor would have been brought in to do overdubs on the Exile reissue, yet we now have strong indications that it really did happen.

Granted, some of the speculation on Taylor continuing in some capacity is perhaps wishful thinking from those who feel his years with the Stones were the glory days. Still, never say never. It could just as easily happen as their going out on tour with Ronnie again. Or at all.

6. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Whenever Mick decides it's time to go on tour or record, he makes it happen no matter what. If that means bringing back Taylor - not neccessarily as a full member, but as a touring employee like Darryl Jones or Blondie Chaplin, I think it's VERY possible this will happen.

7. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Thats a world away from him rejoining the band as a full member. The four current band members have a deal with Universal. They're not going to give up part of that pie for a fifth member. Likewise, if one of them dropped dead tomorrow and Taylor rejoined the band he wouldnt be getting ANYTHING like what the rest of them would get. It took them nearly 20 years to make Ronnie Wood a full member. And the money they're making now (primarily from touring and merchandising) FAR outstrips what they were making in the 90s. No one else will be muscling in on that at this late stage in their career.

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I can easily see them going on tour with Taylor yet not making him a "full member." Yes, it would be something like Jones and Chaplin but would be billed a little more prominently given his history as a full-fledged Rolling Stone from the "glory years." In fact, were it probably hyped/marketed, going out with Taylor (if well rehearsed and with Keith especially in better form) would be a big draw and a fitting swan song if they did make it the final tour.

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Oh I don't think they'd make him a "full member" again, but as far as the deal with Universal goes, it's with the entity "The Rolling Stones." Yes, that currently includes Ronnie but anything is possible under the sun. As I just wrote, I can easily see them going out with Taylor as a "special guest" especially given Ronnie's train wreck behavior of late.

By the way, do you really think the Stones are making more now than in the 90's?

10. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Nobody here is talking about Taylor rejoining as a full member, we're just talking about the possibility of Taylor coming back for a tour.

11. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

I don't believe Mick Taylor was a member back in the day either. Visually he was (just as Ron Wood was when he replaced Taylor), but neither could sign contracts as a member of the Stones (Wood can now). If they do a full blown stadium tour again, I hope they reach out to Bill Wyman (still a member of the Rolling Stones). Bill might do it for the money (I read a few years back he was tight for cash maintaining his estate).

12. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Given that Keiths arthritis in his fingers cannot be getting any better.
    Plus Ronnie is having "personal" and "substance-related" issues.

The two existing guitarists may be a bit "challenged" on tour. Even if they make it that far...

They just might need a good guitarist who knows the songs.

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Bill keeps saying that they need to hang it up and retire.

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Well, I'd been looking forward to this Super Deluxe thing for months and now that the prices and tracklistings have come out, I gotta say I'm gonna have to pass -- just cancelled my pre-order. I'll do what many above are doing -- buy the 2CD, LP (if reviews say it sounds decent, otherwise pass) and the DVD when it shows up later. I'm usually a sucker for big box things, especially with the Stones, but this is just a waste for what they're charging. I'm really disappointed.

If the price drops to around $70 or less for this thing, I might get back in, but otherwise, forget it.

15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I'm with you. The remastered CD does nothing for me and the wife and I still haven't played the Pearl Jam Ten vinyl from that super deluxe box a single time. What I realy want out of the Super Deluxe edition is the book. I have a few Stones coffee table books that I still look at from time to time and there is no way I'll ever be able to afford a Genesis book.

BTW, it was the Robert Palmer photoessay book with this shot of Keith and Gram at Nellcote that intoduced me to Gram's music.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/0385279256/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all

If the price drops to under a $100 I think about it but otherwise I'll buy a used copy of the remaster for the bonus tracks, and the Blu-Ray of Ladies and Gentlemen and rent the Life In Exile DVD from NetFlix.

16. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Doesn't cd universe have it for $87.98??

17. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Considering their extortionate ticket prices, absolutely.

A Stones ticket pre- No Security was (with a few exceptions) generally on the same level as most other major acts. The 'Bridges to Babylon' tour of 97-98 had an average ticket price in the US of $65. The '99 No Security tour (which took place indoors and which had far less overheads) averaged $110. The average price on their last tour was almost $170 - in the US it was higher.

The last tour grossed $550 million in ticket sales alone over about 147 shows. Their total ticket sales in the US in their career is something like $1.75 billion. The nearest 4 acts to that (U2, Springsteen, Celine Dion and Madonna) are all just over or just under $1 billion.

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

No way.

Ain't gonna happen.

(I wish it would, though.)

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

He said that recently?

20. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Bill is not 'still' a member of the band. He didnt sign the Virgin deal in 1991 and officially quit in January 1993. Wood only actually became a full partner when Wyman quit and he effectively replaced him. He was a salaried employee prior to that.

Bill will never tour with them for various reasons, one of which is the fact that he wont fly, and has hardly done so since 1990. Thats why he rarely plays gigs anywhere outside of Northern Europe. Even on his final Stones tour in Europe in summer 1990 he insisted on being driven to gigs all over the continent instead of flying to them.

Bill has no real interest in the Stones' music anymore and has moved on. It takes a lot of balls to walk away from that kind of money, and fair play to the guy for doing so if his heart was no longer in it. Wouldnt surprise me if they invited him as a guest for a show or two, but there's no real chance of him touring with them.

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

In 2006. They haven't been touring since, so there's no reason why he would be talking about them in the recent past.

22. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

yes. i just pre-ordered and with 2nd day air via UPS i got the package for under $100 (99.98...close enough, right?)

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

My memory is that the Stones always pushed the envelope on ticket pricing. I can remember tickets for their '81 show at JFK Stadium being $16 -- when virtually every other major act was charging $10 or less.

24. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Saw him in Albany, NY a few years ago. Kind of dull.

25. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Absolutely.

The 1999 No Security tour pushed the ticket industry to the next level with pricing. I remember the tickets that were being sold near the stage here in the US were going for $250-300. That was in 1999 and FACE VALUE.

Everyone else caught up when they saw that people would shell out money for tickets. It's really disgusting and I hate going to concerts now not only because of the high prices, but that coupled with "limited availability" due to Ticketmaster owning and operating their own resale outlet really F's things up big time.

I would love to see the Stones come down off their current pricing structure, but it ain't gonna happen. No way, even in their current 40% effort/60% "entertain" type shows they put together.

I'm tired of hearing "Bitch" with that miserable arrangement Chuck Leavell put together. When did he last listen to "Sticky Fingers"? Get back to the basics dude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.