Future of Classic Records??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heimska, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For The Love

For The Love Active Member

It appears that Classic Records is over.

If you go to Elusive Disc they have a Classic Records Last Chance banner that links you to the Classic Records discography.

2. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Well, this is just too bad.:shake:I supported their products.

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

that is quite a lovely package, always wanted to have one myself...someone needs to needledrop one of those some time! might be the last word on Zep sonics for quite some time.

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

5. Ronflugelguy

I'm making my list of what I need to pick up.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

MusicDirect?

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Very sad to see this happen if it is indeed true. I loved Classic's product.

8. heimska

heimska Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think this is a blow to quality vinyl.

9. jeffrosen

jeffrosen Forum Resident

Saw lots of Classics LP titles at Rockaway and Amoeba. New sealed. A lot of Atlantic reissues from Classic (Stills, Townsend). A few classicals. No Led Zeps.....

10. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Very sad. Classic Records produced some great LPs over the years (Led Zep, Who, Tull, Neil Young et al).

11. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

This is truly a bummer. Price gouging now starts. If the speculation above is correct bear in mind Chad Kassem's words "buy now or weep later".

I just got a couple of weeks ago Tommy and the Clarity vinyl 45 rpm set of Time Out. I'm sorry I didn't pick up a few more titles at the Bristol Hifi show. I never got a bad disc from Classic. Over the years I picked most of the Dylan Box sets, LZ, some classic and jazz titles on 33 and 45.

I wonder what caused their failure. Personally I regret the entry of a lot the labels with imo poor standards. As Jim Glennon, my fellow countryman pointed out, a lot of new labels have messed the market up. Get Back, Lilith, Friday Music, Back to Black and Four Men with Beards latterly are really not up to mark quality wise. Rhino are ok but for my money Acoustic Sounds, Classic, Speakers Corner and Mofi are the leaders.

I suppose the recession, credit crunch etc. did for Classic. I also wonder if Mike Hobson getting involved with streamers contributed to Classics demise. The Clarity vinyl formula was interesting. They put out great stuff. LZ, Genesis. The Who, Peter Gabriel, Neil Young, Heifitz, Living Stereo, Classic jazz titles. What a catalogue, and what a waste now. I can't see what the major labels gain in mucking around with licences to these labels. I can't but do the artists good.

I hope someone steps in and continues the label. I may have to get a loan to get everything I would like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

That's what I'm up to right now as well. I bumped this old thread on Classic Records jazz to get an idea of what are some of the best titles that I'm missing.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=126691&highlight=classic+records+jazz

I'm very disappointed with this news. I've been a big fan of Classic Records for the last few years and have always defended them on this forum. I own 30 of their titles and love them all. I guess I should consider myself lucky for ordering The Who's Tommy on 200 gram vinyl for $45 from Aural Exploits a few weeks ago after having that title on my want list for way too long. Now it's $100 at both Music Direct and Soundstage Direct. Looking at Soundstage Direct's Classic Records selection it seems that they are already out of stock on the majority of releases.

Having said how much I love Classic Records I am also disappointed that they would lie to us a month ago by saying all is well. That now is clearly not the case. On top of that I can not understand why they would have released all those Clarity 45 RPM box sets if they were not under licence to do so. Was it a last minute cash grab because they knew they were not going to survive much longer anyway? Surely they knew they were bitting the hand that feeds them?

13. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Flip remark??

or true statement?

Why would you need 5 of these?

14. butch

butch Senior Member

So the rumor goes.......

15. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

A statement from an authoritive source would be a great help. Is Steve in the loop. He has contacts and I am sure he could enlighten us. I also think Joe Harley on another thread seemed to know something. I could understand the statement issued a couple of weeks ago if they thought there was a chance of saving the company.

16. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Great investment if you have 5 at current prices.

17. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

True enough - but those quality control issues over the last few releases (particularly The Who) dimmed my enthusiasm towards them.

18. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

One hopes it is not true - They were one serious operation with some truly musical gems in their work- best of luck and thank you for the perseverance CR

19. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

This was the note that was sent out from Classic to its vendors yesterday:

Contents:
    Classic Records Distribution

Effective Monday March 22nd Acoustic Sounds will take over distribution for Classic Records products. As such, if you do not already have an account with Acoustic then you will need to establish one by contacting Amos Vega at [email protected] or 785-825-8609 . If you have any questions or concerns then please contact Troy on 323-466-9694 x19.

Classic Records
    PO Box 93896
    Los Angeles CA 90026
    US

20. Why does this mean that Classic Records is folding? Perhaps their current run of titles is going out of print, but it doesn't mean they won't secure rights to other reissues in the future. I mean, we haven't read anything that says they are ceasing operations, only that the print run for current titles is ending.

21. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Oh brother. I can just see prices skyrocketing now even more based on Acoustic Sound's history. Still kinda pissed about spending a lot of money on the individual Miles Davis 45rpms that were supposedly out of print only to have a boxset of them for $300 show up. :rolleyes:

22. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Thanks for the info Joe. This is possibly a good sign. There appeared to be an issue over distribution so maybe everything is alright. Please, could somebody with some knowledge of the true position set the record ( pardon the pun ) straight. Steve? Chad ?

23. Ronflugelguy

From looking on Acoustic Sounds website, the basic prices of still in print items have raised to Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure prices($35.00).
    Maybe there is still hope, if they haven't burnt their licensing bridges.

24. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

25. Ronflugelguy

Hobson??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.