Future of Classic Records??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heimska, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

These were pressed all at the same time, as only 250 sets were made/sold.

There was suppossed to be a second pressing, but Atlantic pulled their licensing before that could happen.

I'm very surprised to see that Acoustic Sounds now has a supply of Classic LZ vinyl, I thought that had sold out long ago...strange, as Classic was supposed to stop pressing in 2004?

The Atlantic license removal was also rumoured to have been about Classics pressing of 45RPM titles and over pressing of titles. Funny how that same rumour continues with later labels titles?

Rick

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thanks, Rick. I paid a premium for a set with flat pressings, all of which I was given the opportunity to visually inspect (nowhere near 4 grand, though). I would like a copy of the BBC box, but I won't pay $249 for it.

3. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

Just snagged the 45 RPM Peter Gabriel 3 from Acoustic Sounds... $75, but still worth it.

4. scottM

scottM Forum Resident

Wow. Looks like I was 1 for 2 this week. On Monday I ordered Reiner's 1812 overture for $35. It's now $100. On the other hand, I was going to order Gounod's Faust for $50 but did not. I reluctantly ordered that a few minutes ago for $100. It's already $200 plus on E-bay. Crazy.

I hate to say it but as soon as I got the e-mail from Acoustic Sounds that they would be the exclusive distributor the first thing I thought was "here comes the price gouging".

I kind of feel for any young high school or college kid trying to get into vinyl these days. Can't see how they can afford any of the high quality reissues. Sad.

5. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Kids can and do get into vinyl at stores like the one I work in and thrift stores. Classic Records are for those who can both afford their prices and don't understand the difference between Classic's work and originals, or even reissues from the original labels.

Rarity and price have never had a direct relationship to quality, especially with records. Check out the many threads on here about common $1 discs.

6. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

When I visited their warehouse last year I was wondering what was going to become of the few remaining boxes of LZ vinyl on the top shelf...now I know!

7. scottM

scottM Forum Resident

I agree with you that scarcity does not necessarily have a direct relationship with quality but I disagree with you that most of the folks buying Classic records don't understand the difference between Classic's reissues and the Originals. A great example is Reiner's Living Stereo records from the 50's as well as Blue Note Jazz from mid 50's through early 60's. I think it is the very quality of the performances that has music lovers buying in many cases multiple formats and reissues - hoping to hear their favorites in the best sound available to them. Someone in your store might be able to pick up a poorly done analog to digital reissue of Reiner's Pines of Rome or Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra for a few bucks but they will only have a rough approximation of the performance compared to an original or a high quality, faithful reissue.

Same thing with Classic blue note Jazz. This is not just good music, it represents part of our countries heritage. Music Matters Jazz has a great quote on their website from Art Blakey:

"If you pass through life without hearing this music you've missed a great deal".

Sure, you can hear this stuff on CD or bad lp reissues. But listen for example, to a Music Matters 45 and the difference is stunning. Unfortunately, not many people can afford the $50+ it takes to hear the MM reissue let alone having a chance to hear a good quality blue note original.

8. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

I think overall this is not good. I think Steves comments are fair, but AS do know how to charge. I saw the DCC Elvis greatest hits go for stupid money there, and look what has happened. a 45 rpm release. Same will happen again in the future if demand for vinyl is still there.

9. DevilsJukebox

DevilsJukebox New Member

Acoustic Sounds bought up ALL remaining inventory, which makes them the Exclusive Wholesale distributor. Prices to stores and to non-US Wholesale distributors who now have to buy from AS have gone up dramatically.

Luckily, (a) I have plenty of stock already bought at the old prices, because unlike most I read the signs of Classic's situation correctly six weeks ago, and (b) My prices are staying the same, no gouging here. It's bad karma. :)

10. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I wonder if we'll ever see Classic finish off the Who catalog, with Face Dances and It's Hard. They probably lost the license.

11. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Holy crud, I just saw that prices on the some of the Living Stereo titles have shot up to $100 on Acoustic Sounds. Good thing I bought them back in the day...

12. user19351

user19351 Active Member

The last time I walked through the warehouse of ElusiveDisc, they had significant stock in many of the Classic titles. It is likely Bob loaded up in anticipation of the current circumstance.

13. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Hey, if he can sell 'em out that price, what can you do?

If it helps keep Acoustic Sounds in business, I'm ok with it. Whether they can actually sell at those prices is another matter. You can probably buy near mint originals for less.

14. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Sure, it's capitalism at work I suppose. However, I urge people not to panic & start spending an exorbitant amount of money. We've been down this road before. Miles 45prms being all gone, telling people that it is OOP & jacking up prices, they scramble, then a boxset happens. Bill Evans too etc. Sure, it's not illegal & they can do it, but it's a crappy business practice & it's unethical imo. It's quite clear that audiophiles are guinea pigs for how much money they will spend on records. Don't fall for it guys. Just sit tight. We have to let these sharks know that price gouging is not cool. Acoustic Sounds have perfected it to a tee over the years & we just take it. This is just silly, downright predatory.

Audiophiles are like abused women who keep going back to their abusive spouses. They know it's bad for them, but then telling them "last chance" "out of print" "get 'em now" is like an abusive BF telling his GF "But baby, I love you...it won't happen again, I promise. Last time." Then she goes back. Want an audiophile's money? Tell him it's OOP.

OK, a little dramatic, but you get my point.

15. Wergeland

Wergeland Formerly spanishjohnny

If I can avoid ordering from Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct I will. I have never ever come across a business that seem professional, yet they seem to put away a bunch of copies of all their inventory and then raise their prices when the title goes out of print. They seem to do this all time. And they get away with it! It's highly unetchical and unprofessional.

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes although not unlawful I do think that would be unethical and unprofessional. I remember a canadian retailer sourcing a copy of the Ellingotn 45rpm Jazz Party set after it was OOP and they charged me the regular list price.

Eddie

17. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

You know, we audiophiles must be the stupidest morons. Chad has jacked up the price of the Clarity vinyl Cannonball Adderley 3 fold. In any other high street store this would not happen. When a business shuts down or goes into liquidation stock is sold at the same retail price or lower. In this business prices just go up. We buy multiple copies at outrageous prices. What dorks.

18. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

by the way I count myself as a stoopid audiophile!!!!

19. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Just Ordered The Dylan 1964 Box and The Who Direct Hits from Elusive. Thinking about Big Star's #1 record and Who Are You...

20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Classic's Ellington titles have been sitting in my Music Direct wish list for a long time and now they're gone!!! :sigh:

I just ordered 'Piano in the Foreground' from Newburry Comics' eBay store for $30. Now I'm on the hunt for 'Piano in the Background'.

This is pretty sad. I don't know if the more obscure titles like these will get the deluxe vinyl treatment again. You just never know. I hope Classic can rebound.

dan c

21. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I happen to think that what Acoustic Sounds is doing is reprehensible. Notice the careful wording -- "some" of these titles "may" never be pressed again (technically, a statement that could apply to any new vinyl pressing by any label). Which of course means that many, if not most, of the titles will be pressed again. Acoustic Sounds, as exclusive distributor, must have a pretty good idea of which titles *can't* be pressed again, because the license has run out. But rather than identify those titles, they're putting the fear of god into audiophiles everywhere, hoping that the resulting hysteria will drive up prices for all titles. Sure, it may be a great way to sell down their inventory, but it's inevitable that some of the people are going to get gouged. No a good way to build customer loyalty.

22. Stitch

Stitch Member

I absolutely agree. Of course the 180gr Pressings will not be pressed again, when they are sold (some still exists, for example).
    Acoustic Sounds also holds the first pressings for themselves, no matter how fast you order, and will offer them later for a much higher pricing.

23. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Has Analogue Productions really "bought" the Classic Records name? As far as I can tell, they've bought the exclusive right to distribute Classic Records product, and have bought their inventory, but they haven't bought the company per se. Personally, I think it would make a lot of sense for Analogue Productions to market their reissues under the "Classic Records" name and market new recordings through the "Analogue Productions" label.

That way, the labels and distributors would break down as follows:

Acoustic Sounds = Classic Records (vinyl, SACD & HDAD)
    Music Direct = Mobile Fidelity (vinyl, CD & SACD)
    Elusive Disc = XRCD (CD) and ORG (vinyl)

24. beachbum

beachbum Active Member

Just picked up 1812 overture from TheMusic.com for 33.00. They still have some titles available.

25. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I'm not buying anything because of a manufactured panic. If I end up unable to ever obtain certain titles on 200g vinyl, I'll survive. Stuff goes in and out of print all the time. A lot of this stuff is excess inventory that they haven't been able to sell up until now anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.