Time Traveler liquidation sale starts Jan 2, 2010 (Cuyahoga Falls OH)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by MikeP5877, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

This from the Akron Beacon Journal on 12/24.

Time Traveler, the independent music store in Cuyahoga Falls, will be closing in 2010.

Scott Shepard, owner of the retailer on State Road, said he will begin a liquidation sale on Jan. 2 with 20 percent off everything in its considerable stock — which earlier this year included 70,000 CDs and 5,000 DVDs as well as countless vinyl records in racks and stacks around the store.

The sale could take three months, and Shepard will still accept special orders for items (provided they are paid for in advance). But there won't be any adding to the stock, and when most items are gone, the store will close.

Time Traveler may then reopen in a smaller shop with a location better than the current one in an older shopping strip.

But such a reopening is not definite. Shepard just knows that he cannot go on with a huge unsold inventory (''my downfall,'' he said) and days when customers can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

A new, smaller Time Traveler would be more of a specialty shop, since that has been the store's bread and butter since its opening in 1991. As Beacon Journal pop-music writer Malcolm X Abram once said, it ''has been dependably feeding the area's hard-core music geeks . . . [who] know if that Brazilian import of Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica on purple vinyl they've been coveting is available, Time Traveler can get it.''

But while Shepard has said the collecting audience remains loyal, the more general consumer has gravitated toward music downloads — wanting the song but not the package.

Over the summer, with the possibility of closing in the air, the store held a major inventory-reduction sale. Business picked up for a bit, but then fell back in the doldrums.

Aside from a few days this week, Shepard said that the holiday-shopping business ''has been pathetic.''

http://www.ohio.com/entertainment/80045137.html

2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Gotta check this out.

Darryl

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

mike,

thanks for the info. it will be sad to see that store go, at least the store the way it is, if he opens a smaller store he will still be able to special order.

have you ever been to record den in mentor?

renny

4. MikeP5877

No, never been to Record Den. It's about an hour drive from where I live, and everytime I set out to go there it seems something else comes up. I need to get there, and soon, the way things are going.

I'm about 10 minutes from Time Traveler. It will be sorely missed.

5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah, really sad to see Time Traveler go. I'll make sure to get out there some time in the next few weeks.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

record den has replaced time traveler as my favorite store ever since scott cut back on inventory.

record den has a much better, and bigger, used section, and his new section rivals time traveler of the old days.

i think you would enjoy the trip there, and there is a great italian restaurant in mentor called zappatelli's.

7. eriejwg

eriejwg Active Member

Since I'm in Erie, a road trip to Record Den in Mentor might be necessary... Years ago, we had a couple Record Den's here, but not sure if it was the same.

What's their vinyl selection like, if you don't mind me asking...mostly looking for 45's...

8. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Record Den sure isn't what it was in the great days nestled inside the discount store in the mall...ahhh the good old days. The prices are all over the place there--from way overpriced to incredible bargain. Sometimes even on the same title! I've found the exact same items stashed two or three different places in the store for different prices multiple times. It pays to look through the whole store. But I agree, it's still well worth the visit and effort.

I've dropped a lot of cash in both of these places. But honestly, if one of them had to go, I'm glad Record Den is the one still holding on. I can still remember the sheer excitement of getting those first two day-glo Ultra Rare Trax at the original Record Den right after release, and sealed Live Peace in Toronto with both calendar types, and sealed Wedding Album way after they should have been long gone, and maxi & picture sleeve & colored vinyl singles I couldn't find anywhere else, and...:righton:

Good luck to Scott, I'd probably put him as my 5th or 6th favorite local record store from my past.

Even in the real prime years of Record Den, Mentor always had better selection and more of what I was after than their Erie stores had. I haven't made it to Mentor lately, so someone else will have to answer for current history.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i saw vinyl, including some 45's, but what is there i cannot tell you. i never even looked at them.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

FYI

there is also a "buybacks" about 2 blocks for record den in mentor, so you can check out 2 stores instead of just one. and don't forget zappatellis!

11. drbob932

drbob932 Member

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Greg needs to thin the used herd out back there so there is more room for the new pressings. Lately they're just jamming those new LP's into the same small space and I'm afraid that the vinyl and the covers, are suffering. Many a time that I've seen one of those recent Steve Hoffman Warner vinyl reissues, jammed in there. I truly love this store, mostly for the new CD releases and reissues, but they are an hour and fifteen minute drive, each direction, for me and that can prove costly. I've noticed recently that while they are very good about ordering product for you, that they aren't getting as many of the great reissues, stocked on a normal basis, as they used to. Strangely enough, this is exactly the same way that it started with Time Traveller. Scott started to not get as many of the great reissues or imports, as he once did and slowly his new inventory, turned into the same old inventory.

I feel that if a store has to order a product for me, rather than having it on hand, when I walk in, then I might as well just order the damn thing online, myself.

Just as with any local B&M store, I'm sorry to see Scott go and I fear the same in the next few years, with Record Den. I'm thinking that whomever can hold on the longest and keeps the freshest inventory, actually stands a chance to cash in, at the end of the day.

Chris C

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the biggest problem that time traveler has is with his used inventory.

anything good he gets in goes directly to ebay instead of in his bins. he has had the same used CD's for over a year. he NEVER has a single used gold CD or a used collectible CD in his bins. in a store that big, he HAS to get some good stuff in trade. he knows his product and he sells accordingly. good for him monetarily, but bad for bringing in repeat customers.

also, not replenishing stock for months has also hurt.

14. MikeP5877

I did find a few DCC golds there for cheap over the last couple years:

Doors - Waiting for the Sun
    Blondie - Parallel Lines
    Steve Miller Band - Fly Like and Eagle

All for $19.99

He was also stocking the new AF gold CD's - last time I was there he still had the Mayall, plus Deep Purple In Rock, and Pet Sounds, all for $25, but with 20% off they'd be $20.

The last few times I was there, I snagged some long OOP Sundazed titles for list price, all of which were going for big $$$ on Amazon:

Chuck Willis Wails!
    Kay Adams - Wheels and Tears
    The Dimension Dolls

So for me, the pickins were still real good up until recently. I was in there a few weeks ago, I found a few titles I'd been meaning to get for awhile, but that will probably my last trip there.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

any idea why he started buying up all of that vinyl?

most of it is in terrible shape, and is just shoped into boxes. doesn't make sense, he never sold vinyl, then starts buying all kinds of it and lets his CD inventory (which got him where he is) go to hell.

16. Chris C

No no, Scott has had that vinyl for years. A few years ago he actually had another store (all vinyl), behind the main Time Traveler (it's now a bakery). He had this guy named David who ran the store for him and he would spend the days "cleaning", (I mean ruining), the records. He would take some liquid crap, along with the same dirty rag and clean, record after record. I told Scott about this, at least 3 different times and it always fell on deaf ears, so I said screw it and I've never bought another vinyl record from him since. All of that old vinyl store stock, along with hundreds of other albums that Scott had hidden away somewhere, is what is now available at the store.

Chris C

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i remember that record store, nobdy was ever in there.

18. MikeP5877

I remember that vinyl store - it was called Time Traveler II, and didn't last too long. I found a few relatively hard-to-find albums there, that sounded pretty good, so those must have been spared the "cleaning" treatment.

That shop was semi-organized. Half of the albums were organized alphabetically by artist, and even by musical style if I recall correctly (rock, folk, jazz, etc...). The other half was just bins and bins of crap, most of which I suspect currently reside in boxes on the floor of the main store.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

has time traveler gone to 30% off yet?

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

bump

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

bump again

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

one of you guys from akron had to go there lately.

23. Chris C

Why bother, he wasn't getting any new stuff anymore and as far as I'm concerned, he can slash his prices 80%, because most of what he has left, is stuff that I'd wouldn't buy anyway.

Chris C

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i realize that, but if the stuff that's left goes to 40% or 50% off or more it would be worth it, don't you think?

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

anyone been there lately?

what is the status?

is it worth the time to go there anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.