Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Bohm is really a much under-appreciated conductor IMO. He represented the best of the Viennese style in conducting in the second half of the 20th century ...

2. coopmv

The set is not available in the US yet. But there is no reason I cannot order it from Amazon UK. I bought the following set from Amazon UK at a great price ...

[​IMG]

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Sometimes when I've tried to buy something there, the amazon.uk system won't let me pay. I've given up, esp. given how nice mdt is.

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Two cheap new box sets from DG, to be released Tuesday. This isn't the Mahler/Bernstein box set I usually recommend, but the M2 and M7 are my favorite versions, and the M5 and M6 are also very good. And I really like Gardiner's Beethoven symphonies.

Attached Files:

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now listening to the last CD from this set.

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

Really? I have never had this problem. The only thing I do not receive from Amazon UK is the customary confirmation that the order has been placed that I always receive from Amazon US. But I can get the same info when I log into my Amazon account on the UK site. The purchase info on the two sites also do not commingle.

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Can score that box set from Amazon for around $70. It is a great set and cheap when you see how many CDs are included. :cheers:

8. Rose River Bear

Currently listening to this. The Best Sym Fant there is. Even tops Munch IMHO.

41Z1ZD09TSL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

9. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set - S3 and S4 ...

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

I think the new Beethoven set should be the same as this one I bought last year ...

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

The 22-CD set certainly does not include all the Bach Cantatas. I think DG pulled the plug on project 2000 (?) for budgetary reason. At any rate, I already have 2 complete Bach Cantatas in these two sets ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

13. john greenwood

I believe it's a new, larger set. It's 22 discs of which half are cantatas. The MDT description says it's a one time offer (sort of like the Beatles Mono Box :D).

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/4778735.htm

I see other people have commented similarly.

14. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

As an attempt to broaden my classical catalogue I came across a CD from the legendary recording seriesfrom DG : Narcisco Yepes on guitar with the Melos Quartett from Stuttgart playing the Ritarata Di Madrid composed by Luigi Boccherini in 1970.
    Starts a bit disappointing, but once we reach the
    'grave assai' - fandango with Castanetes
    it is all gravy...

Attached Files:

15. john greenwood

I don't know. I have a different recording, but I just find the music rather bland.

My favorite Yepes recording long out of print is a set of transcriptions of Scarlatti sonatas. A treasure.

16. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

you are right - the fandango is great, the rest not that great, still something different, wished for more guitar

17. That happens to me at times with amazon US when the seller is not set up to ship to an Internatinal address, however, once contacted most sellers will work something out. This set is offered through amazon directly - so it should work.

18. zen

zen Senior Member

Great set for sound quality and precision performance! :righton:

I have all the period sets of Beethoven's symphonies, and for some reason I usually reach for the Hanover Band box set (Nimbus).

It just sounds and feels like you are actually at the premier performance of each symphony. Warts and all.

Anyone else have the Hanover Band set?

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

I shot from the hip a bit too fast - before I read up on the product details. It does look like the passions and the Mass in B might be recorded after the 90's, newer than any of the individual sets in my current collection. The cantatas were all recorded as part of the Project 2000, which has now been aborted.

20. coopmv

I have only bought from Amazon UK so far, but not from any MarketPlace vendors listed on Amazon UK website. I actually buy from MP vendors on Amazon US much more often than I do Amazon US since the MP vendors almost always offer better prices ...

21. coopmv

Indeed, the cycle by Roy Goodman with the Hanover Band is one of the few HIP performances that are often overlooked. I have versions by both John Eliot Gardiner and Christopher Hogwood.

22. Rose River Bear

I can't listen to the Gardiner cycle anymore. Precision for sure to the point where the music does not breathe. I call it Metronomic Beethoven.

23. zen

zen Senior Member

I know what you mean by metronomic Beethoven.

I haven't played his Beethoven cycle in a long while. Do any of his Beethoven recordings excel with that approach?

24. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Lovely cycle (despite all those nasty brass tone imperfections here and there). :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.