Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I take it back. I do like 1,2 and 7 in that cycle. It does not bother me as much for some reason with those symphonies. :cheers:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

While I generally prefer baroque pieces to be performed on period instruments, I am perfectly at home with Beethoven Symphonies performed on modern instruments. I really cannot say the Karajan 63 cycle, the Jochum 68 cycle and the cycle by Gunter Wand are any less polished or enjoyable than any of the HIP cycles mentioned so far ...

3. Rose River Bear

I am with you on that. Can you imagine the effect of hearing his music if it was debuted on modern instruments on 12/22/1808 when he premiered the Fifth and Sixth Symphonies and the Fourth Piano Concerto?

4. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

What is it? Too small to read.

5. Rose River Bear

Sorry about that. It is Riccardo Muti conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra. It can be had for around $7. A ridiculous price for an absolutely firebreathing version. :cheers:

6. coopmv

I did not post the image but believe this is the CD in question ...

[​IMG]

7. Rose River Bear

You got it. This is at the top of my list of my ten Sym Fant recordings. :cheers:

8. George P

George P Notable Member

9. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from this set - S5 and S6 ...

[​IMG]

10. Rose River Bear

Let's be honest-Is there anything that Karl Bohm conducted that did not hit the mark?

11. Rose River Bear

Listening to this. An absolutely harrowing Unfinished.

a301810ae7a022b054c2a110.L._AA300_.jpg

12. coopmv

I hear you. But in reality, Karajan is the only late conductor that has gotten most of the attention when it comes to re-issues. I am still hoping to find the complete Beethoven Symphonies box set by Karl Bohm.

13. Rose River Bear

Did not know a box existed. Is it with the VPO or BPO? I have the VPO on DG on few twofers.

14. coopmv

No, a box set does not exist for Bohm's Beethoven Symphonies with the VPO. I am aware of those DG twofers but prefer to get the CD's in a set.

15. zen

zen Senior Member

+1

I once borrowed the vinyl box set and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.
    Unfortunately, I didn't like the way it sounded on those twofers. Very cold sound, I thought.

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

17. Rose River Bear

I agree they do sound pretty bad. Must have been the acoustics where they were recorded.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I am spinning mine now, was a gift from a friend. I think I've only heard this version one other time. It seems a bit slow, almost like a Furtwanglerian interpretation. Great sound!

Yo, Eddie and Fred! :wave:

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Maybe that's what it is. I don't recall if it was an AM seller or amazon.uk itself.

20. coopmv

Furtwanglerian interpretation but in stereo sound. :righton: It was a shame that Furtwangler never got to record in full stereo sound. The great soprano Elisabeth Schwarzkopf was also well past her best years when stereo recording became available.

21. coopmv

Amazon UK works just fine for me. I never bothered with MP vendors on the Amazon UK website.

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Does one exist? I know they're all available in "Duo" like packaging, but I don't recall a box set.

23. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Karl Böhm

I have a bland Schubert Fifth, one of my favorite symphonies. A work frequently used in conducting competitions. Böhm's late recordings are hit & miss, IMO.

From Amazon reviewer Santa Fe Listener:
    PS. I have Bohm's 70's Brahms cycle on vinyl. Bought it like six months ago and haven't touched it.
    PPS. Hi, George!

Attached Files:

24. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Hi George.

Listening to Valleys of Neptune now, but I've been listening to a lot of classic lately, thanks to this thread. The Susskind Holst Planets is absolutely great.

Does anybody here know about the interpretation of The Planets by Montreal's The Buzz Ensemble? The Buzz Ensemble = two trumpets, a horn, a trombone and a bass trombone! It is fascinating, and I will have the pleasure to work with them in a couple of months.

Attached Files:

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Arvo Pärt

Any recommendations for Arvo Pärt recordings? I know Tabula Rasa is the big one, but what about other titles? Opinions on the composer in general: positive, negative, indifferent?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.