Concord Music Group gets Paul McCartney Back Catalogue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fabtrick, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member Thread Starter

McCartney Catalog To Be Reissued By Concord Music Group

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - (Business Wire) Paul McCartney’s MPL and Concord Music Group, one of the world’s leading independent music companies today announced an historic agreement to globally market and distribute McCartney’s venerated solo and Wings catalog, which encompass 40 years of cherished, classic material from the most successful songwriter and recording artist in music history. Indeed, the music legend has sold an astonishing 100 million solo singles and 700 million albums world-wide in his unparalleled career. The announcement coincides with the 40th anniversary of McCartney, his fabled first solo album released April, 1970.

This exclusive global arrangement, will cover both physical and digital distribution of McCartney’s treasured post Beatles catalog including landmark solo albums such as McCartney, Ram, McCartney II, Tug Of War, Pipes of Peace, Give My Regards To Broad Street, Press To Play, Flowers in the Dirt, Off the Ground, Flaming Pie, Driving Rain, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, Memory Almost Full, and Good Evening New York City. The classic Wings albums include Wildlife, Red Rose Speedway, Band On The Run, Venus and Mars, Wings At The Speed of Sound, Wings Over America, London Town and Back To The Egg. The catalog also includes the inventive, highly regarded albums recorded under the McCartney pseudonyms Percy “Thrills” Thrillington, The Fireman and Twin Freaks.

The indispensible and remarkably enduring collection of songs represented in McCartney’s post 1970 collected works include the gems “Maybe I’m Amazed”, “Another Day”, “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey”, “My Love”, “Live & Let Die”, “Band On The Run”, “Jet”, “Listen To What The Man Said”, “Silly Love Songs”, “Let ‘Em In”, “With A Little Luck”, “Mull Of Kintyre”, “Coming Up”, “Ebony and Ivory”, “Say Say Say”, “No More Lonely Nights”, “My Brave Face”, “Hope Of Deliverance”, “Fine Line”, and “Dance Tonight” among many others.

McCartney fans can look forward to an ambitious and rewarding reissue program beginning in August of 2010 with Band On The Run; Paul McCartney & Wings’ classic #1 album from 1973 that spawned the immortal title song as well as the smash hit “Jet”. It will be available in a variety of configurations, including a special collector’s multi-disc edition with remastered audio, enhanced packaging and rare bonus content.

In 2007 Concord Records and Starbucks partnered to form Hear Music whose inaugural release was Paul McCartney’s highly successful, critically acclaimed album Memory Almost Full. The McCartney-Concord relationship has since blossomed to include the 2009 release of McCartney’s historic multi-disc live CD/DVD Good Evening New York City and now this landmark multi-year global marketing and distribution partnership.

"Since the release of Memory Almost Full in 2007 I have had a good working relationship with Concord and enjoyed our mutual love of music,” stated McCartney. “I'm looking forward to continuing this relationship with the new catalog campaign. I'm always looking for new ways and opportunities to get my music to people and Concord share this passion."

“Working with Paul McCartney, the MPL team and this tremendous catalog is an unbelievable honor,” stated Glen Barros, Concord Music Group President and CEO. “To so many of us here at Concord and to millions of people all over the world, Paul’s music has formed a big part of ‘life’s soundtrack’. So to now be a part of representing this amazing body of work is nothing short of a dream come true.”

About Concord Music Group:

Concord Music Group is one of the largest independent record and music publishing companies in the world and owner of a rich and historically significant catalog of recordings. Concord Music Group’s legendary family of labels includes Concord Records, Concord Jazz, Fantasy, Stax, Milestone, Riverside, Specialty, Telarc, Peak, Heads Up, Prestige and most recent acquisition, famed American roots label Rounder Records, further strengthening Concord’s independent leadership position. They include titles from some of the most admired and enduring names in music, including Ray Charles, John Coltrane, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Isaac Hayes, Little Richard, Thelonious Monk, Oscar Peterson, Rosemary Clooney, George Shearing and Mel Torme. The group’s current roster of world-class artists includes: Alison Krauss, Chick Corea, Kurt Elling, Robert Plant, Christian Scott, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Sergio Mendes, Béla Fleck, Alejandro Escovedo, Esperanza Spalding, Macy Gray and Angie Stone. In 2007, Concord partnered with Starbucks Entertainment to form Hear Music, an innovative record label rooted in quality, authenticity and passion. Hear Music works directly with artists, both emerging and established, to bring quality music to the widest possible audience, in both Starbucks locations and traditional music retailers worldwide. Hear Music has released records from Paul McCartney, James Taylor, John Mellencamp, Elvis Costello and Playing For Change.

tug_of_war likes this.
  2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

3. Let's hope the remastering is . . . properly done . . .

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I've got the original UK vinyl if I want to hear Band on the Run as it was meant to sound. But bring on the rare bonus content. :righton:

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

We will see...My guess: loud and compressed!

6. Stateless

Stateless New Member

All I ask for is decent remastering & all the B-Sides.

7. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Concord has become a major label in my humble, not an independent. At least I'm ready to call them a major now. Acquiring distribution of Paul McCartney's MPL catalog cinches it, to my view.

Wonder if Concord won't wind up with at least some parts of EMI. In a way they have a part of it now.

8. jricc

jricc Senior Member

RE: BOTR, I'm excited and skeptical. Excited about the bonus content, skeptical about the bonus content. If I recall correctly, Paul's demos were stolen while in Lagos. So for the last BOTR reissue we got a bunch of later rehearsal takes and new recordings. So I wonder what he could possibly give us as rare bonus stuff.

I really hope my skepticism is wrong!

9. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Electric Arguments was beautifully mastered, so I'm optimistic.

tug_of_war likes this.
  10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

They'll screw it up, labels and McCartney always do.:sigh:

They need to hire a real fan to make sure everything a fan wants actually gets released.:cool:

11. fabtrick

I'm now wondering; doe Paul have a "360 deal" with Universal Music? They are handling his tour merch - at least their logo is on his official website's merch page....?

12. stevef

stevef Senior Member

But Memory Almost Full was not so... :shake:

13. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Or in other words, a straight reissue of that lame 25th Anniversary double disc from 1999. :thumbsdn:

But then I don't really see what could be done with Band On The Run as far as era appropriate bonuses go, aside from remixes, since alternate takes would likely consist of rejected basic tracks of just Denny on rhythm guitar and Paul on drums, and since his home demos for the album were stolen and there's no live tapes since they didnt tour the album.

But of course this album gets the deluxe treatment regardless of all this, since its his biggest post-Beatles success.

For example, Ram and Red Rose Speedway are prime candidates for such expansion, since both albums had enough material recorded to have been released as double albums at the time, not to mention the standalone single sides that were released, plus Red Rose Speedway was toured and live recordings made, and Thrillington could be a bonus disc for Ram.

So those two albums, could quite easily be expanded to triple disc box sets just with the vast amount of era appropriate material that we KNOW for sure exists.

But those albums don't have the sales potential of Band On the Run, so I won't hold my breath.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Really? The Percy Thrillington album is highly VALUED on vinyl, due to its rarity. I've never heard anyone say it's highly regarded.

15. fabtrick

Concord Music Group didn't have a hand in EA's release - that could be why it was mastered nicely!

God, I hope they don't re-release that lousy BOTR double cd - what a let down that was And the vinyl version of that - blurry cover photo, crappy album sleeve construction - junk.

It stands to reason why BOTR would come out first - Paul keeps adding more songs from that album to the set list than any other!

In the last decade, he has performed:

Band on the Run
    Jet
    Let Me Roll It
    Mrs. Vanderbilt

Songs on previous tours (not listed above)

No Words (1979 UK Tour)
    Bluebird (1975/76 World Tour)
    Picasso's Last Words (1975/76 World Tour)

Songs never performed live:

Mamunia
    Helen Wheels (which may or may not count, as the original UK version of the album did not contain this song)

While there was no BOTR tour to promote the album, they did 4 songs from it on the 1975/76 tour, and surely there are previously unheard live versions from that tour that could be utilized - and the 1979 Glasgow "No Words" could be pulled from the vaults.

We'll see...

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

McCartney's got enough live albums out. The only thing that would interest me in that respect would be something from his very early post Beatles days (the college tour). Otherwise, let's tap into his bulging vaults of unreleased material...

My hopes are quite low that the BotR reissue will present anything new of real value. My guess is that rather that offering substantial new audio material, it will have a video component.

17. fabtrick

There's a good idea. Did Wings appear on Top of The Pops doing any songs from BOTR? Would Paul enlist Denny to do an on-camera interview about the sessions?

18. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Wouldn't it be awesome if the BOTR release contained live versions of some of the BOTR songs recorded on his last few tours, playing with people who had no hand in recording that album?

;)

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, that would be just awesome.

Personally, I wish McCartney would open up his vaults and release some of the demos he recorded for BotR when it was a concept album with the working title "Band with the Runs." The story goes that the album--supposedly about a band who agree to play South of the border and eat the wrong thing just before they're supposed to play--was mostly completed, but McCartney scrapped in in the face of his personal problems at the time.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Geez, are you guys ever happy about ANYTHING? :sigh:

People here gripe for years and years that they want McCartney reissues. Macca announces a big plan to reissue his albums with bonus materials and whatnot - so people gripe about THAT.

This is deja vu after all the "Beatles remasters? They'll suck!" whining a year ago. :thumbsdn:

I'M excited about all of this! :pineapple:

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Let's not forget the whining about the new Stones Exile box set.

I'm with you on this one, Oats, I'm pumped that Macca's catalog will be reissued with bonus tracks.

22. Apparently not. And get off their lawns!

23. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

That would be a nice start.

24. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I wouldn't normally buy a remastered version of an album I've purchased in the last few years-----but if they find a way to repair Memory Almost Full, I will make an exception.

25. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

While there's no doubt that McCartney produced the "Thrillington" album, and that it contains cover versions of McCartney songs, Percy Thrillington is none other than arranger Richard Hewson.......the guy who arranged and conducted the "Phil Spector" overdubs on "The Long and Winding Road". The Thrillington album is MOR muzak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.