Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Next to play, CD1 from this set, which arrived early in the week ...

[​IMG]

2. coopmv

3. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I don't have a lot of Debussy myself just yet.
    But I hafta say that this old Fritz Reiner version is super!
    This can be had on CD or LP...the remastered Cd version is excellent.
    I'm sure there are others out there but this one I own and have heard a few times.

[​IMG]

I found this one also.....cheap and had won a buncha awards!
    Well worth checking into! IMHO :righton:
    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Philips/4387422

4. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

More Schubert:

[​IMG]

5. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

What is turning out to be a day of Schubert. More from the vinyl vault:

[​IMG]

The "sound" on this lp is so-so at best. Any others here have any CBS albums where you find this to be the case?

6. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set, the performance on CD1 was awesome ...

[​IMG]

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Anything with the orange printing going around the rim is going to sound like ****.

8. coopmv

In the good old vinyl days, I only bought CBS LP's that were pressed in Europe, either the Netherlands or Germany. The American pressed LP's were garbage. That was the reason I had very few Glenn Gould's or Leonard Bernstein's records on LP's since very few of them were pressed in Europe.

9. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

This one is not even "orange" but the same color as the jacket....yet a later pressing. Either way, it sounds as if my speakers are blown on any high notes with this one. I would take it back to used store I got it at, but do not want anyone else dealing with this sound in the future.

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have around 8 La Mer recordings. This is the overall winner for me regarding best sound and performance.

550030.jpg

11. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning. Great player and still has a lot of years ahead of him.

51N3D3ZVD9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

12. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I did not know that Chandos dates from the LP days. You learn something every day!

13. coopmv

I have some German or Dutch pressed CBS LP's by Glenn Gould, I believe it was Bach Partitas (still in my vinyl collection) that was almost as good as Philips in terms of SQ and very little surface noise.

14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Piggy backing on Bill's Schubert-fest:

[​IMG]

Schubert
    D. 818
    Schnabel
    Mastered by Mark Obert-Thorn

15. George P

Some great works there, especially those preludes. :love:

Have you heard Horowitz's live at Carnegie Hall 1981 Rachmaninov Piano Sonata on RCA? He gets the piano to create thunderous sounds I have never heard anyone else approach.

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Managed to get a copy of this at Rasputin's for $9.98°—

[​IMG]

Of course there's a hitch, said hitch being that the set is missing the first disc, the one that includes Martinon's performance of Le Mer*. Karajan's DGG performance is frequently cited:

[​IMG]

as is Reiner's, but Martinon has great sound and his take on Debussy is more idiomatic than Reiner or Karajan fine as their performances may be.

°Used, with a sticker mentioning that disc 1 was missing.

*I've owned the disc including Le Mer in the past and will find a replacement for the missing disc in the near future.

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Where did you find that and how does it sound?

18. Rose River Bear

Yes I have most of Horowitz's solo Rach stuff. He was an extremely powerful and physically strong player. I would not have wanted to arm wrestle him. Probably the best solo Rach player to have tickled the ivories! I like Kocsis Rach Sonatas very much.

BTW- Congrats on the 10,000 posts. Incredible!:cheers:

19. Rose River Bear

Holy crap. I can't believe you got that for under $10. It is an awesome set.

The Karajan La Mer is tops.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Loaded up seven of the nine symphonies into my Pod & heard the lot of them via earbuds while opening mail for the IRS. Like Szell's Third better—there's a headlong momentum in Szell's live recording, though the radio sourced sound quality might be unacceptable to some. Jochum's Fourth beats any other I've heard. The Fifth [like the Eighth] still sounds like it was assembled out of other, more structurally cohesive, symphonies. I wonder if Bill Laswell could do for Bruckner what he did for Miles Davis in his remixes of Electric Miles? The Sixth emerged as remarkably jubilant, the finale the best of the lot. The Seventh is a very beautiful performance, more like Furtwangler's than any other. Of course, there are many wonderful performances of the Seventh, I can think of six right off the top of my skull that I like as much. The quarter has yet to drop for me with the Eighth Symphony, to these ears it sounds like a great relic with parts having fallen off over time. The Ninth may have recieved its most dramatic performance on this disk, full of the tempo accelerations and gear shifts of Furtwangler's wartime record but boasting far superior sound.

As regards sound quality, I like it but that's no promise that you will. It's well transfered pre-dolby analog. That means there's plenty of audible hiss in the quiet passages. On the other hand, it's simply miked with classic tube gear in a fine sounding hall.

There's a graduation of and control over dynamics in Jochum's readings—each movement really does have only one real climax, the performance of the Sixth is remarkable in that regard. I consider finding this set of CDs really fine luck.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Awesome indeed. Guess I've have to go trolling the muddy waters of the Amazon for the missing "Le Mer." Which reminds me—see Ponyo!

Maybe, but I dislike Karajan on principle.

22. George P

Through amazon.usa and it sounds great! Mark Obert Thorn is one of the very finest audio restoration engineers. If you can grab a copy, do so. Those Music and Arts issues tend to go out of print and fetch a high price soon after.

23. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

24. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Everything here would hold up in court.:agree:

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've done a few gigs that landed on Music & Arts. Wish I kept my M & A copy of Furtwangler's performance of Bruckner's Ninth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.