Neil Young recording with Daniel Lanois-"Le Noise" out 9/28*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GregK, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregK

GregK I'm speechless Thread Starter

from Thrasher's Wheat:

http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2010/04/neil-young-in-studio-with-producer.html

Twisted Road! Finally, some news regarding a new album. I was wondering what was taking him so long! I'm not the biggest Lanois fan in the world, but this could be interesting. I like what he did with Dylan (although I prefer Dylan producing himself), and this Neil Young record appears to be a solo acoustic one, so I'm not sure how much of the Lanois sound will be present, but it's always fascinating when Neil works with someone new like this.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Great news! Looking forward to hearing the results. "Fork in the Road" and now "Twisted Road"...more songs about Linc-Volt? Ha ha. I loved the last album, and a new producer will likely give Neil an extra sumthin' sumthin', you know?

3. Very cool news ... should result in some mighty stellar stuff.

Already hoping for a future second collaboration with full band and electric guitars involved ... :D

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

last i read graham nash stated that neil wanted to work with CSN again.

that neil young, he sure a funny guy, eh

5. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I love the idea. I think for some Lanois can make a classic artist still sound "classic" but with a modern twist that is fresh.

I like what he did with both Willie Nelson's "Teatro" and Emmylou Harris' "Wrecking Ball".

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

No TOAST for you! :realmad:

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I want Lanois to record Neil's "Time Out Of Mind"' and see Neil bring home the gold at the Grammys! Of course, Neil'll have to get past other top rung talent like The Black Eyed Peas and Justin Beiber to do so, but if anyone can do it, it's Neil!

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Yep. The Emmylou album is killer.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow! nice pairing!
    yes, wrecking ball is my favorite EH lp also

10. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

A new Lanois album, with guest Neil Young?

11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Neil appeared on the Lanois-produced Wrecking Ball, so they've worked together at least once before.

12. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

This is great news, IMHO.

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

What a great combination. Should be good.

14. butch

butch Senior Member

With Dan Lanois involved, there will probably be no Crazy Horse on this one. He'll bring in Bill Dillon,Tony Levin,Manu Katche and his boys in to Lanoisize Shakey,unh? I remember a review on the Robbie Robertson album which savaged that album's production as distant and the guest stars not appearing to be on the same album! I hope the same thing doesn't occur here though. And I wonder if PG and Shakey will share a duet on this one. And if that annoying Bono Vox makes an appearance as well it would just be too much. Maybe he won't be able to guest star because he has to meet the new president of some poor third world country!:winkgrin:

In the end, I hope he keeps Cromwell and Rosas on the side and brings back the Horse. It's about time that Frank, Billy, Ralph and Shakey get back together to make some noise!

BTW I absolutely despised Time Out of Mind. It was the worst case of the Emperor's New Clothes if there ever was one. The highlight of that period was the kid who jumped on stage as The Soy Bomb! However I did enjoy Lanois' production work with Peter Gabriel and U2 and his solo albums as well.

15. Gene

Gene Active Member

Best Neil news in YEARS!!! A Man needs a PRODUCER!!! :cheers:

16. Gene

Gene Active Member

Not me, I think the horse should stay out to pasture.. Cromwell & Rosas are the best backing Neil's had since Danko & Helm backed him on a couple of tunes from 'On the Beach' imo...

17. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I think Neil has wanted to do an all solo acoustic album for years, just voice and guitar. My guess is that this will be that album.

18. Gene

Gene Active Member

Why do you think he'd hire Lanois for a solo acoustic album? Hmmm, it'll be interesting no matter what it is... Neil may actually have to do retakes!!!! :D

19. butch

butch Senior Member

Nah! Rosas' thumb bass playing has become annoying to me! What happened to the fire he had more than twenty years ago. I still would like to see Neil pull another Ragged Glory one last time. And as good as Cromwell is(Rosas isn't anymore) he ain't Crazy Horse alone !:shake: Nuff said......

20. Gene

Gene Active Member

Neil has complained publicly that unless he calls, Crazy Horse never rehearses and I think he's a little fed up with this..

21. osbie feel

osbie feel Well-Known Member

Wow, words fail me here but if you could see my face it'd look something like this:
    :eek:
    (or maybe)
    :shake:

'Time Out of Mind', to me at least, is an amazing album. If NY's collaboration with Lanois can come within 2 degrees of it, I'll call the project a success. Can't wait to hear it!

22. Gene

Gene Active Member

I enjoyed Lanois' other Dylan collaboration as well, Oh Mercy....

23. butch

butch Senior Member

Frank is working with Kevin Eubanks and Billy and Frank have a life! I don't know if you play guitar or not BUT Neil sounds like he hasn't practiced on some of his albums as of late (and in the past as well). I loved his comment when asked about his playing, Shakey responded: " I suck!", a quite apropos response if there ever was one!

24. butch

butch Senior Member

Another overrated album if there ever was one. The musicians on Broken sound like they are playing on an entirely different tune! Lanois' production techniques have been better utilized elsewhere IMO.

25. butch

butch Senior Member

No offense,if there was an expression for nausea that would correctly express my impression of your assessment! :winkgrin: Look our opinions differ very greatly here. I'm not a Dylan hater but didn't enjoy the tunes or the production on Time Out Of Mind at all. I didn't buy into what the tragically hip(hats off to Elvis Costello not the Canuck band of the same name) were saying about it either. It was a case of what I call critical collusion meets The Emperor's New Clothes.

That being said, it will be interesting to see how much this album will sound like For The Beauty of Winona or Acadie. Or I wonder if he'll pull a Robbie Robertson and invite all his hipster friends to play on it, perish the thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.