SONY SXRD 60"...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

New replacement deals for XBR1.
    (Already had mine replaced for XBR2 a couple of years ago - no problems and still love it - bought a SONY extended warranty)
    May be useful for someone here.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1907658

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Wow...now that is interersting! What if you had the optical block replaced by a qualified technician? Would they still swap it out? I had to have mine repaired about a year and a half ago, but I swear sometimes I can see the problem creeping back (or maybe I just want a new free TV) :winkgrin:

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

My SXRD has been acting a bit strange lately. A few weeks ago I perceived that the picture was getting darker and specifically with standard def broadcasts. I ended up goosing the iris control a tad to almost compensate. I thought perhaps my bulb was on the way out but last time that happened it got dark and failed soon after.

This time it stayted that way for a few weeks until I stopped noticing it. I restored my iris control and all seems fine now. It's almost like there is a sensor to determine room brightness that was false triggering. Very strange.

The bottom line is that it looks like it's old self again and I'll never know what actually changed. I do have a spare bulb but I'm going to wait until I'm sure I need it before replacing it.

4. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I have a brand new little 32" Sony Bravia that looked very dark to me, and it was driving me crazy...until I turned off the Ambient Light Sensor, and voila, the picture looked great. What I couldn't figure out is why the Ambient Light Sensor was making the picture look darker at night in a low-lighting environment, it seemed counter-intuitive to what it should have been doing.

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I took the Sony deal and sent in my XBR1 serial # sticker for a 2010 Bravia 55EX500 for $225.
    I still don't see signs of recurring green blob on my second OB but its only a matter of time my warranty will end and Sony isn't fixing these TVs anymore.

So if you have an XBR1, now may be the time to call Sony and get in on one of these 2010 models while you can.

6. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Good Move - I just sent the link on to my brother who is on his second optical block and he has new problems..

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

That sounds like exactly what is happening here. At first I thought it was something like that until I noticed it hapenning when it was dark in the room. It didn't do that often, but once it did it once I started thinking it was not related to the ambient light in the room.

Regardless, it seems to have corrected itself for the time being. OTOH you know how these things go. Often when you have a problem and it disspears it means it will be back.

8. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Well actually it would be better for the Sony to darken its image in a darkened room, since the screen doesn't have to compete with the room's lighting. If it didn't become darker 1) the image would be perceived to seem too bright, but especially 2) cause what I guess you would call "eye fatigue". Btw we've owned several CRT TVs over the years with sensors and they all subtly dimmed the image when we dimmed or turned off a room light.

Th eye-fatigue issue is why on many HT forums there are threads about how to set up soft ambient lighting either scattered around the room itself, or behind and/or to the sides of the TV consisting of a specific type of light, using a fixture or lens that can form a soft halo around the screen. Can't remember the technical terms but these things help reduce the jarring effect (if they aren't used) on the eye of a rectangular lighted image "floating" in a sea of black.

9. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Help...I need some advice. I bought a KDS-R50XBR1 in 2005 it been moderately used with no permanent problems YET. I have seen light green when it turns on. it's intermitant. I have a 5 year warrenty which will expire soon. I'm waiting for something permanent to happen. What are my options? Could I use this offer for getting a new model. I would pay more for a new model in exchange. Is this possible.

What would you do or what should I do? If they are offering an exchance for something new for what may be the inevitable happening too late for me . I feel time is running out on an expensive investment. Thanks in advance.

10. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

The number of blinking lights are diagnostic codes for the particular problem. Is it a red or green blinking light?
    Try an internet (and blog) search on the number of blinking lights and the color (specify XBR1 too). It may be something as simple as a bulb replacement.
    I just searched and found this:
    http://www.agoraquest.com/searchbb....rms=all&forum=all&submit=1&sortby=p.post_time

11. JohnG

If you have a warranty I'd have a tech come out and see if your TV has the "green blob". If its a 2005 XBR1 then it probably does.

The service company may fix your TV by replaceing the Optical Block and it would be good as new (at least for a few more years).

Then after that, you could call Sony and tell them your XBR1 is acting up. They'll have you send in the rear serial# sticker and offer you a few 2010 Sony BRAVIA models.

Pick one and you;ll have a nice back up TV for just a few bucks.

PM me if you need the phone# for Sony exchange dept.
    But first I would take advantage of that warranty and get the XBR1 looked at since it still is a great TV and Sony does not want it back.

12. JohnG

BTW......I just recieved my brand new 2010 Sony BRAVIA hdtv (the 55EX500) from the delivery company. TV looks sweet.

The delivery guy was amazed that I was recieving essentially a free 55" HDTV
    He says he dropping one of in Syosset NY next, must be another XBR1 owner.

13. howlinrock

My fear is that this will be re-occuring and I would rather get a new TV. Do I have the option of replacement instead of a repair? A KDL-55HX701 for $550 sounds sweet. How do I converse this with Sony. Do you let them know you are aware of them offering replacements for resolution.

Sweet. Any more advice is appreciated. :righton:

14. JohnG

PM sent.

15. howlinrock

Well I called Sony today about my KDS-R50XBR1 and they offered me the 3 TV's listed. I took the KDL-55HX701. What a great deal! We'll see how this pans out. I will send the serial number sticker tomorrow. Thanks for the advice and tips. More to be revealed...

16. JohnG

Yep, it is a great deal. You get to keep the SXRD and have a new TV.
    They weren't offering the HX701 when I called but I'm happy with the 55EX500 (which has been receiving good reviews at AVS).

My family is shocked how large the box looks on the 55EX500. Its sitting near me in the family room. Even my dog is amazed. :D

17. Tristan

Tristan Member

Hello All,

Was wondering if somebody can shoot me a picture of a Sony SXRD set with the optical block problem please.

Thanks!

18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

19. Tristan

Tristan Member

20. JohnG

My SXRD is still working fine (watching The Lovely Bones tonite), so my new 55EX500 is still in its box.
    I saw it on display at Bestbuy last month and it looked great (for an LCD). :D

21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Nothing will replace the film-like look of your SXRD, John...and you know it, too. ;)

22. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I have a KDS-60A2000 which began to develop a green blob in the upper middle right portion of the picture a couple of months ago. I went to the Sony web-site, and checked my serial number, and sure enough, Sony indicated that they would cover the repairs to the set. So last Friday night, I contacted Sony by telephone, and the tech set up a service call to the local authorized Sony repair shop. The repair guy came to my house Saturday morning, confirmed that the optical block was bad, ordered the part, and yesterday afternoon came to my house and replaced it. The picture is now back to its amazing glory! I'm very pleased with Sony's response to my problem. I think that the replacement TV set only pertains to Grand Wega models, but I really wanted my set fixed anyway. BTW, the warranty on the optical block on the SXRD sets is good through June 30, 2010, so if your set has issues be sure to take advantage of their service.

23. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Last week I had 6 blinking red lights and it would not come on. Happened only once. Everything still looks/sounds great though. Hope it does not come back, but I do have another 3 years on the Sony warranty..

24. Grollins

Grollins New Member

I have gone through with the exchange process and it does take a bit of patience. I was on the telephone for the better part of an hour going through all the questions. They did offer me three TV's and I did decide on the Model KDL52EX701 on exchange for my KDS-R50BR1. It developed a yellow blob in the upper right corner of the screen and a very pretty blue line down the right side of the screen until it warms up. I sure was glad that I found this forum. There is something that some folks left out, or something they added to their requirements that the person on the phone didn't mention to me and I didn't know until I had already followed the instructions I was given on the phone and mailed off my sticker and photo to get things going: They REQUIRE you to take a photo of the television showing the problem ALONG with a 8 1/2 X 11" paper taped to the TV with the eight digit "Event number" they gave you on it showing the problem of the TV with it. Well, that's not a big problem if I had been told that I had to include the paper with the "event number" in the photo BEFORE I mailed it in. The person "Joe" made no mention of this absolute requirement at all on the telephone. So, after I got back from the post office mailing in the required paperwork exactly as I was told on the phone, and Email was waiting for me on how there were other requirements I had not met. I called their phone number again to verify that I also HAD to have this number in the photograph with the TV problem and was told that they would not process my request without the "event number" in the photo of the TV and it's problem. I did forget to thank "Kat" for her help, although it wasn't her fault. So, make sure you read the Email they send you as well as listen carefully to what they tell you on the phone. Also, there are quite a few numbers and letters you need to keep. Make copies for yourself and verify all the numbers and letters you get.

25. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Hi Joe,

If you have the link handy, could you post it or PM it to me? I just recently got the "Projection lamp is nearing end of life. Please replace the lamp" pop-up notification when I turn the TV on (55" SXRD KDS-55A3000).

I bought a 3-year Mack Bulb Warranty (good through March 2011) for around $90 when I bought the TV in 2008. It's good for 2 bulbs over three years, and I used the first bulb replacement last August. If I can get this current bulb replaced by Sony between now and June, I could "save" the last one on my Mack Warranty for later.

At the rate these optical blocks wear out, I'll need another one before my Mack Warranty expires in March of 2011.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.