Rolling Stones "Exile" CD/Vinyl Thread--Part 3*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was told the new vinyl beats my original US and Canadian pressings from 1972. Has anyone had a listen yet?

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Who told you?

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There is another thread, or two, or three, or four about this topic.:wave:

4. Bowie Fett

My friend in Germany. I'm still waiting for my Amazon order :(

5. Bowie Fett

Threads about the new 2010 vinyl release????

6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Man, the bonus CD is great!! :edthumbs:

8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Do the tracks with modern overdubs stick out to you George, as opposed to the few that lack them?

9. George P

George P Notable Member

No, not at all.

10. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Interesting, thanks. Others have noticed a difference, so I just thought I'd ask.

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Given the reaction of purists around here, I wonder whether Mick would have been better off using these new/old tracks alongside tracks from other sessions on a "Tattoo Two" kind of release, instead of as bonus tracks on an Exile reissue. I think I would have rather bought that myself instead of buying Exile on Main Street a third time.

The "Stones in Exile" doc aired on the Jimmy Fallon show included excerpts from alternate takes of songs from the album... probably just the kind of thing the critics of this release would have preferred to get.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

I should add that I wasn't listening for it and I am not very familiar with their work from this album.

13. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I guess there are going to be differences of opinion here. Personally, I find Plundered my Soul to be an enjoyable enough song, but to try and pass it off in this form as an Exile outtake just seems WRONG.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

How is it being passed off as an Exile outtake? It has been made very clear that there were new recording sessions for this track.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, and listen to your precious bootlegs.

15. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Jeez, calm down. Just expressing an opinion. If a song is included on a bonus disc for an album, the average person on the high street would, I imagine, most likely assume that the songs are going to come from those sessions. Not everyone reads up on these things obsessively.

And I don't see that the "don't like it, don't buy it" attitude is ever helpful. It hardly makes for open discussion of what different listeners like and don't like.

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

And I doubt that the average person plunks down $30 for a two-CD deluxe edition of a 40-year-old album without having some idea of what's on it. Every magazine article and interview with the Stones on the subject of this reissue has acknowledged that there are new overdubs on most of the tracks on the bonus disc. I'll wait until my copy arrives to see exactly what the credits in the liner notes say, but I highly doubt that anyone is being fooled by this.

18. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I listened to "Plundered My Soul" for the first time, and I thought it sounded great. I don't mind the recent overdubs. I think all parties involved did a decent job on it. If The Stones retired in 1975 or something (yeah I know many wish they would of ;)), then I might mind 2010 overdubs, but they have been working musicians the whole way through to this day, so it doesn't bother me. I think Mick sounds great. Better than most of his peers around his age. I rather would hear a song like "PMS" than an unfinished instrumental. You can tell they worked hard on it. And it is all gravy really. How much great material could really be left over from a double album? As long as they didn't **** with the main album (besides the mastering possibly), I don't think it is really a big deal. What I've heard so far is pretty good for what are essentially bonus tracks.

19. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Just got home with the vinyl...

For 37.00, they couldn't do a better job with the packaging? Everything is muddier and darker looking that the original, and the inner sleeves look like they were taken from low-resolution computer images, with lots of pixelation on the text. Finer details (like the scotch tape on the inner sleeves) aren't visible. No postcards.

This had better sound good. I've seen independent labels put out nicer vinyl reissues for half the price.

20. playbsides

playbsides Forum Resident

It would seem to me based on this interview with NPR with Don Was who was directly involved in the bonus tracks that the only song that got new vocals was "Following the River"-- it never had melody line or lyrics.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126832322

I guess it could be interpreted that other songs got new vocals, but they singled this song out in the interview.

21. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

"This had better sound good"
    I for one will be interested in hearing your verdict after you listen to it.

22. surfingelectrode

I'm in the middle of 'Hip Shake' right now, and from what I can tell, if you like the way the new CD sounds, then you'll like this. It sounds like it's sourced from the CD master and, like the CD, the higher end sounds too shrill.

The pressing, by United Record Pressing in Nashville, is of good quality. Nice, flat, and quiet.

23. surfingelectrode

But yeah, I guess I'd say it's a bit too 'bright', which wasn't a problem on any of the other Universal remasters had (which I will continue to defend).

Everything sounds good except for the higher parts (horns, some of Jagger's vocals, some of the guitars).. it's really noticeable on the side one tracks.

24. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Well, to be fair, the average person won't be plunking down $30. The average person will buy this at Best Buy or Amazon for $20. And I do think it's reasonable to think that there are enough people out there who'll buy it thinking that the bonus tracks are from the Exile sessions, since that's how these things are typically constructed. And they may very well never know the difference.

But, I also don't believe that anybody's been misled here.

25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

For the obsessives who do follow this stuff, it was clearly a case of "let's not mention too much about the new vocals, overdubs, arrangements, lyrics, etc." Early reports implied very little was done to the ten "found" tracks and that they were intact and untouched from forty years ago. To most casual Stones fans, the logical conclusion would be "hey, these are all from the "Exile" sessions, cool." No, actually not cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.