Rolling Stones "Exile" CD/Vinyl Thread--Part 3*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

If I am not asking too much can anyone tell me if the new vinyl is better than my '87 domestic reissue vinyl. I assume that was from digital as was this apparently a 24 bit transfer

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Good list. We agree on the sacrifices to get there, so what's the debate about?

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Said better than I did.

4. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Notice it's the writer who implies "but other than some light revisions".

There is also possibly new evidence from a recent NPR interview with Don Was, that some of the instrumental tracks for "Pass The Wine", "Plundered My Soul", "So Divine", and "Dancing In The Light" may have preserved partially vintage vocals on the multitracks that we weren't/aren't privy too. The host seemed skeptical (or Was seemed defensive) about the ability to fuse new vocals to old backing tracks, and was interested in trying to hear the difference between old and new vocals on these songs. While claiming to not really remember what was new/old about these tracks, before discussing and listening to "So Divine", Was claims "most" of the vocals to be original!

He goes on during the course of the song to actually identify to a line that was newly written and "punched-in" as a vocal edit (as opposed to say, the preceding line, which logic would dictate was not new).

Is Was lying and/or misinformed and/or delusional about this? I have no idea. I'm just letting you know.

We/this thread go(es) back much earlier than that late Feb RS.com article. You can even see the first official bitching about possible overdubbing comes from street legal, on January 28th - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=5147427&postcount=48

5. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Personally, while I've always liked the Stones, much like the Beatles, I was never a big collector and as a consequence have a lousy copy of Exile. So to get it all in one big box with the book, DVD and other goodies for $180, I still feel like I got off cheap compared to having 20 different pressings of this. One decent copy works for me.

I wish I could get one of these of say, my favorite 100 rock recordings. Now there's a series I'd sign up for, especially if they did the artwork to the level that the guys at Music Matters are doing with the Blue Notes.

6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Thanks for that - interesting indeed. I remember very early in the thread feeling that the negative posts were off base, 'cause I was really hopeful about the news of 10 unheard songs - and I believe I posted something to the effect that I would buy it "no matter what." I'm not happy that I'm not buying it. I believe Mick and Don Was didn't keep the thing as real as was first suggested, unfortunately. Guess I know "Exile" too well to take anything less.

7. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Interesting, Don Was' comments re So Divine. He to
    old me months ago that they'd dug up a vintage vocal on Aladdin Story. I'd sort of passed that over amidst the news that Jagger had recorded five new vocals, but I'd accept what Don told me as true (everything else he told ne about the bonus tracks has proved true). Perhaps that one is some combination of old and new vocals.

8. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I actually pulled out my (beat up) original pressing and listened to a few tracks for the first time in months before seeing your post... you're right.

They're both collections of old, unreleased material that's been completed years later. They're also the only two 'albums' that have had Taylor's playing since IORR.

That's because the Stones are better, of course.

:agree:

I also bought the new Black Keys album today and that's how a release should be done... 27.00 for 2 LPs, a CD of the entire album, and a giant poster. It's not 180g, but still.

9. surfingelectrode

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen an original pressing of Exile in good shape. Every copy that I've seen has been, well, 'torn and frayed' (ha ha).

That's why I bought the new reissue. I just wish the quality was better. If you lay the original pressing and the new reissue side by side, you can tell just how bad it looks. While the original had a nice soft gray color, this one is garishly bright, almost white.

10. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

The monster hump in the bass is your system. There's no bass hump in the LP's...

11. Can you provide pics?

12. surfingelectrode

I tried, but they didn't turn out too well.

I could pretty much describe it as the original pressing looking kind of like a newspaper and having that same sort of soft gray hue, while the reissue looks like bright white computer paper.

13. Got a call tonight that the Sunrise Records at Yonge & Sheppard will have the super deluxe set (2 CD+DVD+vinly+book) for $149.99 tomorrow.

The 2 CD set will be $19.99.

Apparently there is also a free live 1972 DVD being offered with purchase of any format.

14. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I love seeing all the opinions about the sound of the remastered CD.

Oh wait....

15. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Just wait until the 'n e x t - o n e ' comes out...it will be a keeper for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to hear the 'new unreleased, well old, stuff', for sure, but for the price I think I will just listen to me origional album (have an excellent copy). Wish I could just keep selling my 68 Camero over and over and over and over, Think I could???????????????????? (could just paint the fender and say it's remixed).

Kind of like getting like Led Zeppelin now...... Hey, if people want to buy it, so be it. I like the way the origional LP sounds and I really don't go for this buy it over and over and over and over and over and over stuff.

But I'd like to hear the unreleased tracks. How many are there???????

Is it really worth the price?????????????????????, of $170 or whatever it is????????????????????????????????

Here's my thinking: Been to the Filmore West (free apples anyone?) and Winterland 'so many' times. Been to the Montery Jazz Fest back in the day. Saw Claption in the Berkley theater. Saw Rod in Singapore, Saw Bowie in Perth, That's it. I don't blame them for repackaging and selling. Not at all really... I would.

16. surfingelectrode

I don't mind the louder volume, but I don't like the treble. The bonus tracks sound good to me, though.

17. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

How does it compare to the, two? previous versions? There was the original CD and the 1994 remaster, correct?

18. surfingelectrode

I've never heard the original CBS issue. I've never liked the 94 Virgin remasters... I find them to be dull and lifeless. Mike D'Aversa and I have debated this claim of mine this repeatedly on the forums over the past year or so, haha.

My prefered version is a needledrop of an original UK pressing that I've got. I can post some samples from it if anyone wants me to...

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Much thanks for that Teddy. Damn, the "drunken" vocalizing is my favorite part of the recording. Well that and Keith's playing. I'm looking forward to hearing it nonetheless..

20. windfall

windfall Senior Member

It's a shame they have not taken more care over the packaging of the vinyl. I guess there were more important things to focus on, like deluxe roadcase replica special editions.

21. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

I've had the 2cd version since last Friday, and I can't decide whether or not 'Pass The Wine' is actually in part a vintage vocal......

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Might as well, the great "old" stuff is probably better than any new music coming out these days... :shh::agree:

23. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

for the bonus disc, it is a perfect comparison... old tracks dusted off and mixed for a release... in this case, not as a new album, making it more "honest" than Tattoo You, since in that case, fans who weren't paying attention didn't know these were old tracks.

24. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

If you read this, now after the fact, you make the case... Keith didn't do much work on this, Jagger did, so no one lied, cept maybe Keith who acts like he worked on the project much...

25. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

I agree with you, and for those who care, this is the way to complain about the bonus disc!
    ;):D:winkgrin::shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.