Rolling Stones "Exile" CD/Vinyl Thread--Part 3*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

What's this? Did I miss discussion of this earlier in the threads? Is that an indy store? If so are all indy stores giving out free dvds with an Exile purchase?

2. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member

The Super Deluxe Edition could have included a physical copy of the flexi disc.

Attached Files:

3. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Regarding my comment about comparing this release to "Tattoo You" as being "ridiculous" is based on the fact that there is a huge difference between completing tracks over the course of a few years (Tattoo You) & nearly 40 years (Exile deluxe edition). If that is incomprehensible to you, then I have nothing left to say about the subject, because neither of us will get anywhere at all.

4. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

It's mostly good stuff, but if it'd better than ANY new music coming out these days I'd be very depressed.

5. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I am waiting to hear more people weigh in on this too, i.e. direct comparisons between at least one, but hopefully both of the two previous releases and the new mastering. I thought the 94 Virgin remaster was a considerable improvement over the original CD pressing.

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This is what I will be comparing it to. :agree:

7. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

has anyone picked up the Fan Pack from Target yet? Wondering if these are in-store...

8. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Chip's not a bass man. His expensive system is very sensitive to it. He also dislikes the bass on the stereo Beatle remasters...

9. Mike D'Aversa

Interesting.

I think I believe him now about most of that vocal being vintage. I wish he'd be willing to/be able to remember some more specifics on "Pass The Wine", "Dancing In The Light", and "Plundered My Soul"...

10. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

heading out now... I have 3 Targets withing 10 miles of my home...

11. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

The single disc "rarities" (bonus cuts) at Target Store was released in a jewel case that holds 2-CDs. I guess I can put a copy of EXILE ON MAIN STREET in the case too. (Target had the Fan Pack with a Large T-shirt. I only saw Large T-shirt sizes on the 2 available Fan Packs.)

12. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Sorry if this has already been posted, but...

I picked up the Best Buy 2-disc set (with bonus interview disc), and I was a bit disappointed that the interview is only about 13 minutes.

13. playbsides

playbsides Forum Resident

I picked up the Rarities Edition this morning on my way into work. I hadn't noticed that this was a 2-CD case until you mentioned it.

The other strange features of this release are the fact that they stuck an "obi strip"-like piece of paper stuck on the CD and the booklet does not have any reference to the Rarities Edition other than it is missing any reference to the "regular" Exile album. It does include the credits for the 10 bonus tracks, but it doesn't call it the "Rarities Edition."

The tray card is tailored to the Rarities Edition and the CD itself has a small red "Rarities Edition" embossed above the Exile logo. The catalog number is B0014336-02 - is this just the catalog number of the second disc?

So, it seems like they must have manufactured this release at the same time as the Deluxe Edition 2-CD.

14. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Mine's hopefully in the mail to me today.

15. playbsides

playbsides Forum Resident

The credits do say "Rarities Edition" now that I've re-read it.

It still doesn't change the fact that this release is pretty odd from a packaging perspective, IMO.

16. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Thanks John, I was wondering about the length of the interview disc.

17. Mike D'Aversa

So anyways, that superior radio mix of "Plundered My Soul" that I'm always going on about is now officially available outside of the promo cd market.

It's available as a bonus on the deluxe version of 'Exile...' from ITunes. Of course, it's the only one in that entire set that isn't available as an individual purchase. You have to plunk down $20 for it... :(

18. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I wonder if Amazon has this version, too--or if it's an iTunes exclusive.

19. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I just checked: Amazon doesn't have the alternate of "Plundered." Nor do they have the iTunes bonus version of "All Down the Line."

20. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Has anyone read the credits on the 2 cd set? Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts are listed on every single song. I was under the impression (from reading earlier credits) that Bill Wyman did not perform on songs where Keith, Mick Taylor or Bill Plummer plays bass. And likewise that Charlie did not play on Happy. Are the "new" credits wrong?

21. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My Target only had 2 copies of the Fan Pack at 11AM.
    I bought one of them. The t-shirt only comes in large.

They had plenty of the single Rarities discs.

Beatbuy only had a few of the 2CD Deluxe and quite a few of the single CD editions.
    I bought 2 deluxe as did another fella, so there won't be many left real soon.

22. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

A couple times I've bought an mp3 album from Amazon and received a bonus track they hadn't listed.

23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I just got back from my Target, and they had 1 copy of the Fan Pack. I nabbed it and a copy <of which they had plenty> of the Rarities Edition.
    Since the t-shirt is Large and I wear an X-Large, I'll keep it sealed and play my single cd for the bonus tracks.
    I have a feeling these Fan Packs might become quite rare, who knows....

24. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Is this single rarities CD a target exclusive? I cant find it at amazon.

I am happy with my Exile version that was released with the post cards, so I dont see a reason to buy the album again.

Looks like the single rarities CD is the way to go, isnt it?

25. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

Agree 100%. Deluxe reissues should contain all officially released material from the era. I've heard the "Blues" ditty, and it's silly but historically...important. Maybe not important, but certainly interesting. Or at least amusing.

But I've never even heard the b-side version of "All Down the Line." And, frankly, it pisses me off that it's not included on this release. So now I'm going to have to search for the highest quality needledrop I can find...

And the fact that Jagger and Was wanted to surprise the bootleg collectors is a great and noble goal, but why leave out the heavily bootlegged material? Sounds to me like they're endorsing the trading of their unreleased material. So...what are the best sounding boots of this stuff?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.