Rolling Stones "Exile" CD/Vinyl Thread--Part 3*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Yes to both questions. :)

2. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Pretty much. I just got the 3CD from Best Buy and that's missing art as well.

3. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

Does your needledrop of the Orig. UK LP sound different than any other version on Stop Breaking Down. When the guitars kick in at 2 seconds they are more fuzzed and dirtier sounding than every other CD or needledrop I've heard of Exile. I compare the UK to a recent Canadian pressing I just recently received and can't decide which I like better! I do prefer Stop Breaking Down on the UK though!

4. surfingelectrode

Yes! I've never heard another version of it that sounds like that, but it sounds so much better.

5. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

I wonder why that is! Do you know any other obvious differences between versions that I don't know about?

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

So for those who have it, is the vinyl version worth picking up? I've never seen an original in good shape at a reasonable price, but am also not really interested in a $35 vinyl version of the current CD, since that defeats the purpose.

7. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Ir's not mind-blowing good, and falls short in comparison with an original copy, but definitely worth it IMO. I just listened to it twice and really enjoyed it, I think it's great, but don't expect too much of it.

8. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

According to Target it is exclusive to Target and iTunes.

9. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

I had the 2 CD set in my hands at Best Buy and shockingly, I passed on it.
    I just can't get it out of my head that this is a year old "remaster" that wasn't worked on with anymore care then Black & Blue or Goat's Head Soup 2009 remasters.
    Maybe I expected a Pet Sounds like box set for my all time favorite album but having heard it and seeing that it doesn't best my beloved Virgin copy, why bother?
    I would much rather them release it when it was done last year and have them put out a 2 or 3 CD set of all the rarities of Sticky Fingers and up.
    That, I would have been interested in.
    I may pick up the bonus CD at Target to go along with what I already own.

10. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

For now, you can just go to ITunes and pay $1.29 to get the track.

11. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

I like the double case for the Rarities cd. It gives me a place to put my burned disc of the rest of the outtakes.
    Got the vinyl, played it loud twice last night. Really enjoyed it. A little harshness on vocals here and there, but overall a good time.
    Already had the CBS and the Virgin cds,so I'm good to go with the vinyl, rarities cd and T shirt for under $50.

12. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

bestbuy @23rd and 6th in manhattan had a boatload of the 3cd editions (that includes the bestbuy exclusive interview disc) at 10am today.

if you plan on getting the bestbuy 3cd edition, get it and open it soon.

the sleeve for the interview cd is glued to the regular digipack with that soft clear glue thats sometimes used in magazines to attach free samples.

I'm pretty sure it will stain the cover given enough time.

13. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Let's put it this way: The 1994 remaster was appr. 3-4 dB louder compared to the 1986 remaster (which left the original dynamics intact). This new 2010 edition is another 3-4 dB louder compared to the 1994 remaster. In other words, the original dynamics have now been squashed in range from 6 dB (e.g. "Sweet Virginia") to 9 dB (e.g. "Shine a light"). If you like things to sound squashed and overly bright the 2010 edition is your ticket, if you were hoping for an audiophile experience I think you can pretty much forget it.

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Target Rarities Edition disc arrived in mail today.

Was expecting this to be packaged in a thin cardboard slipcase.

Instead, its in a double disc jewel case.

15. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I got the Target rarities disc. I'm listening to it. Toward the end of the 3rd song, about 3:35 the sound stops. I pull the disc out and there's a bump on the playing surface. I take it out to the car. In the car, at the 3:35 point, it skips to the next track. Surely they'll let me exchange it. Has anyone else opened theirs and played it?

16. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

I would normally agree with your point, but funny thing is I have never enjoyed this album as much on a cd release before. :righton:

17. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Just got my Exile On Main Street: Super Deluxe Edition from Amazon. Paid the extra $3 to have it shipped UPS instead of the free with the USPS. Everything looks good accept I hate what they did with the back of the main box. They have the track listing on a sheet of black paper the is very losely stuck on the box back with dots of that gummy stuff in about six or eight places. There is no way it is going to last without getting torn up (the corners are all lose) so I assume most people are removing it as carefully as possible and storing it inside the box. Advice please. :help:

18. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

A gentle coating of 3M spray adhesive...

That's what I did with mine, which had the same issue!

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, that is weird. Its a slimline 2cd case. What are they expecting us to put in the other slot?

20. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

I have stored the sheet in another box set where it fits perfectly.

21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Is this rarities disc worth it? I'm not really sold on this.

22. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Yes. I played it in my car stereo and there are no sticks. Not overly loud either.

Since I have a short attention span, I've already forgotten which tracks have been overdubbed. All-in-all, the disc is an enjoyable spin and companion to the original album. If you dig "Exile," I'd say the rarities disc is a must.

Ken

23. surfingelectrode

Take it off and either throw it away or stick it inside the book? I'd assume that's the point.

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Considering you can get it from Target without having to go buy the main album again, yes. Thanks to the management for giving us this option.

25. street legal

street legal Senior Member

This sounds very similar to The Band's 6 disc box set, "A Musical History". I was able to gently pull mine off, remove the glue by hand (again very gently) & I now store it inside the hardbound book. I personally didn't need any chemicals to help with the glue (maybe I just got lucky).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.