Plain Records will release and no doubt ruin vinyl reissue Spiritualized

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by karmapolice, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident Thread Starter

*good news that this vinyl will be reissued but no doubt will be stillborn given Plain Records penchant for lazy digital mediocrity

Plain records is great at getting licensing right a shame they won't
    do the job right!

Spiritualized
    Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space - 180 Gram
    Double LP
    Plain
    USA
    (2-LP set) Originally released in 1997 (on the same day as OK Computer), Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space is the 3rd album from Jason Pierce's post-Spacemen 3 project, and his most brilliant work to date. A hypnotic, narcotic, psychedelic gospel album full of confessional songs about heartbreak and drug abuse. This record is a flat out masterpiece that received a "10.0" rating from Pitchfork. Reissued on 180 gram vinyl in deluxe packaging including reproductions of the original innersleeves and insert.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Oh no! I've waited 13 years to finally get my hands on a vinyl copy of "Ladies and Gentlemen..."

Plain....why did it have to be Plain?!!? ANYBODY BUT PLAIN!

At least it's a 2LP set...this time....

3. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

It was 2 records last time as well. I have a copy and it's no great shakes. For whatever complaints you have about Plain (and I don't know because I don't own a single record they've released), there's a good possibility their issue will be at least as good (if not better) than the original.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I was referencing the fact that Plain notoriously crams albums that are way to long onto one LP (see: Mr. Bungle).

If its cheap enough I might give it a shot just so I can see the LP sitting on my shelf. I'm not going to expect any sonic miracles.

5. karmapolice

Plain Records will botch this opportunity but hey please please prove me wrong and I will gladly eat crow

the fact that the original vinyl was mediocre and that Plain Records might match that is setting the bar rather low. If they do just that, one can just listen to the cd.

I am unaware of anyone here ever saying a plain records reissue sounded much better than the cd release

man if there was a music czar, heads would have to roll at that company...they make simply vinyl almost look like analogue productions (yes massive hyperbole)

6. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Weren't all of those albums originally single LPs, anyways?

I own a bunch of Plain reissues and I've been happy with all of them: the first four Flaming Lips albums, the four Ween albums, and Primal Scream's Screamadelica.

I'll be buying this. It can't be any worse than the original pressing, which is apparently full of clicks and skips due to errors in manufacturing.

7. sf74

sf74 Active Member

would someone be kind as to post the matrix info for the original Dedicated double LP?

8. surfingelectrode

9. sf74

sf74 Active Member

10. surfingelectrode

Ween - The Mollusk and White Pepper.

11. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

Agreed. My copy of the Mollusk is outstanding. Plus, it's colored ocean spray green!! :righton:

12. karmapolice

I wonder what sources plain records used for the few titles that are liked here. My guess is a digital 24 bit second generation that could be better than the official cd release. I would love it if they got their hand on the original master but given their reputation, I doubt it.

13. You'd rather it was 4 Men With Beards?

14. surfingelectrode

Exactly.

15. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that Plain and 4 Men With Beards are the same operation- they both have the same mailing address.

16. Really! Boy, am I out of touch on the vinyl reissue front then, if that's the case. I thought Plain had some kind of relationship with Rhino, and that 4 Men was based in Europe. I've certainly heard a lot more kvetching about 4 Men than Plain, in any event.

17. vinyljunkie123

vinyljunkie123 Forum Resident

anyone hear this yet?

18. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I think the release date is next week.

19. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I saw these at one of the local stores. Would have bought it except ALL of them (like 10 copies) had a nasty corner bend...oh well, guess I'll go to a competitor. Can't the distros realize that most of us vinyl buyers are total geeks about condition and if they do a crap packing job and the jacket gets damaged we won't buy it? These will sit there until they are OOP again and then people will buy them.

20. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Back to the original point about digital mediocrity, does anyone know for sure if it was even recorded and/or mixed in analog?

21. attym

attym Forum Resident

Plain did a bad job with The Black Crowes - SHAMC. However, this thread made me realize that they did the ween reissues which are really good. So at best, its a crap shoot.

22. surfingelectrode

I'd assume that it was recorded digitally, but I could be wrong.

I'm very happy with the way that Plain's reissue sounds. The packaging looks great, too.

23. surfingelectrode

SHAMC was the only Plain reissue that I've been disappointed with.

Ween, Flaming Lips, Primal Scream, and Spiritualized are all great.

24. Plain's version of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless was well done too.

25. karmapolice

I think the most interesting question is whether it sounds better on vinyl reissue than the cd...no one has commented on this! anyone please. this company has never claimed they use original tapes but if a 48/24 digital file that could be a sonic upgrade over cd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.