Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD19, the last CD from this set. This set and the set by Trevor Pinnock are no doubt my favorite Mozart symphonies ...

[​IMG]

2. coopmv

wolfram, I think the SMP by the Dunedin Consort is quite good for performance by a British ensemble. I actually like the tempos of John Butt better than those of John Eliot Gardiner. I think the latter can be a tad too fast during some movements. All is all, the compelling price of the set makes the purchase a no-brainer ...

3. coopmv

Now playing this CD from my Chopin collection ...

Attached Files:

4. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Need help Guys!

New addition to my Collection yesterday.
    Garage Sale find for a big whopping $.50 (50 cents) :righton:
    Quite a nice recording for a odd ball Label....probably was a $6 Cd new in 1989.

Can't find and info about it online.
    Is this label long OOP or what's the scoop?

All I found on Amazon was this but the Conductor don't match....cover art does!
    Confused on this one......
    :help:

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Piano-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274594366&sr=8-1

Cover from my copy....

[​IMG]

5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I bought quite a few Quintessence vinyl LPs but never saw any of their CDs. They were a budget reissue label started to provide titles in the Classical and Jazz market by the Pickwick corporation. Most of the LP Classical titles always had a blurb on the cover quoting a recommendation from the music review media. Quintessence licensed these reissues from all over. They started their label just before CDs took off. I have some Kempff, Kondrashin, Horenstein, Boult, Barbarolli, Ancerl, and Ameling on Quintessence.

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Very interesting and thanx for the prompt reply. :righton:

["They started their label just before CDs took off."] Maybe they went belly up shortly after?

IF it helps there are no blurbs in or on the cover sleeve.
    Just a buncha listing for other Quintessence titles available at the time for Classical.
    An interesting note tho......almost all their listings are related to the Royal Promenade Orchestra and or Alftred Gehardt.

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"Wouldn't You Like To Raise The Level Of Your Home?"

Always had problems with QC on Quintessence vinyl. I bought a lot of them as Quintessence reissued classic performances from the Reader's Digest boxed sets of classical works. Produced [mostly] by Charles Gerhard the Reader's Digest LP boxes of classical music had first rate engineering and classic performances like Horenstein's Brahms First Symphony with the LSO. Other reissues—Elly Ameling's Schubert/Schumann recital comes to mind—came from Deutche Harmonia Mundi. Others, like performances by the Smetana Quartet, came from Supraphon. I'm sure other labels come into play as well—I've owned a lot of those LPs and managed to purge all of them from the collection. Many of the Reader's Digest recordings were later reissued as Chesky Records, with better sonic results.

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Exhilarating, huh?

9. coopmv

Now playing this CD from my baroque collection ...

[​IMG]

10. George P

Now playing:

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

George, How many CD's are there in this set? I have not even checked after its arrival two weeks ago. :winkgrin:

12. George P

1 per symphony. (Your laziness knows no bounds) ;)

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

An amazing 6th in that set. One of the best recorded version ever IMHO. :cheers:

14. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Great CD. I need to pull it out for a spin again soon. :righton:

15. coopmv

Apparently the nine symphonies by Bruckner in aggregate are longer than the nine symphonies by Beethoven since the latter usually can fit on 5 to 6 CD's ...

16. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from this set - remaining French Suites that started on CD2 ...

[​IMG]

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Hole Nine

Bruckner didn't rip out as many passages from his symphonies as Beethoven—less editing, longer symphonies. :whistle:

18. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Thanks for your thoughts.

19. wolfram

Now playing:

[​IMG]

from Linn in hi-rez.

20. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I couldn't even tell you what town is on the cover ... These churches with 2 towers are too common. Looks like Duderstadt , but it is too big for that. Any info from where that conductor/ensemble is coming ?

That Chopin DoCd is really nice. CD 2 is my favorite...
    Karajan is the man. The only set that is disappointing is this one from pre and second world war recordings. The recoding quality simply is not on the same standard as usually and the orchestras are not that skilled either most of the times. But still some good parts - just clicked on a track and what I hear is not bad. a few pops here + there. but the music sounds ver< nice whati s it ? Die Zauberflöte ? No = Dvorak "Aus Der Neuen Welt", when the orhestra plays together the sound sucks.. No Berlin string magic.. far from it
    http://www.amazon.de/First-Recordin...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274639726&sr=1-1 For completists only !
    My favorite HvK CD is The Best Of Adagios wonderful, a freat gift to someone remotely interested in classic music. AGAIG. Superb selection, wonderful reading and very nice flow- what more can we ask for? Just check the Song Selection on he back cover - some taken from the CD linked yesterday

Talking about these HvK recordings..

Attached Files:

21. coopmv

Wonder how this CD compares with the Karajan's Mozart Requiem, which I have in my collection?

[​IMG]

22. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Yeah Mackerras is the man The last great living conductor and his work gets better and better, Both his Beethoven and Mozart symphony cycles are fanatstic - just to name a few. Also check out his reading of Schubert's 9th wth the same orchestra !

BTW The Requiem by Karl Böhm with the Vienna Philharmonics and the choir are incredible works of art. Watched the DVD from this event in that church in Vienna. Perfect camera direction and the music is fantastic. Also available on CD and LP on DG - Part of the 55 CD set of 111 years of excellence, too...

Attached Files:

23. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Yes, like many of the budget reissue vinyl labels, there were quality control problems. Some were barely acceptable if you wanted the performance for that price.:sigh: If I saw any vinyl Quintessence Lps in the used bins today, I wouldn't be buying.

24. coopmv

I think I may have a few of those vinyls from my grad student days. They are still in my LP collection ... LOL

For that matter, all American-pressed LP's had garbage quality.

25. wolfram

Unfortunately I have only this one version of Mozat's Requiem, so I can't compare it to any other. But yours also has some quality personnel on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.