Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Of what version do you want a comparison?

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Sounds interesting. Since I still have a lot to learn about classical music, I find a well filmed concert often helpful. It makes it clearer how the different instruments interact.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Speaking of Requiem, the Brahms' German Requiem is my all-time favorite. IMO, it is the greatest choral works composed during the classical period. This version by Colin Davis and the Karajan's version on EMI are my favorites ...

Attached Files:

4. coopmv

The one by Charles Mackerras and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Speaking of German Requiem....this one has always been my fav.
    Penguin Guide Rosette Top Winner.
    No longer listed at Presto Classical where I got it......wonder if it's on it's way to OOP?

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

I have this CD ...

7. coopmv

Now playing CD4 rom this set - Goldberg Variations ...

[​IMG]

8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Surprise surprise! :D
    Probably shorter to show a list of what you don't have. :laugh:

9. coopmv

As requested, here is the list of Brahms German Requiem I have on CD ...

Vienna Philharmonic/Karajan,Schwarzkopf Naxos Historical
    Wiener Phil./Karajan DG
    Berlin Phil./Karajan, Van Dam, Janowitz EMI
    Berlin Phil./Abbado DG
    Bavarian Radio Sym. Orch/Davis RCA
    Orch. Revol. Roman/Gardiner Philips
    Phil Orch/Klemperer, Schwarzkopf EMI

plus

Requiem DVD Berlin Philharmonic Orch/Karajan
    Requiem DVD Berlin Philharmonic Orch/Abbado
    Requiem VHS Bavarian Radio Symphony/Davis

10. Rose River Bear

I prefer the Mackerras. After hearing the Mackerras I realized what was wrong with Karajan's approach. The vocals especially.

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Aren't all Philips CDs OOP now?

12. coopmv

If I must make a choice between the two requiems, I prefer the Brahms German Requiem.

13. coopmv

I think all recordings previously released under Philips, assuming they are not OOP, should now be released under London/Decca. This situation probably has to do with the right of UniversalMusic to the name Philips, which used to own all these classical record labels, having expired. Philips itself is no longer in the music business ...

14. wolfram

Really? My very first CD I ever bought was a Philips. Beethoven's 9th symphony, Kurt Masur with the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig (1974). The classical CD I listened to most in my life (so far).

15. coopmv

I thought you would have known. Some times ago, Philips sold its Polygram music business, which has been part of UniversalMusic for a number of years now. Whatever you recently bought were probably new old stocks.

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Saint Matthew Passion

Where does the Italian Riccardo Chailly fit in? I checked out the Kuijken SMP via iTunes and did not care for it at all. Have to agree with the reviewer below, who had time enough to sit with the entire thing (poor guy). Btw, I am a fan of Kuijken's latest one-to-a-part Bach Cantatas series and have a 1982 Haydn Seasons by him, among other works, that is most excellent. But the Matthew Passion did not sound good. Chailly, well you just gotta hear it -- it's awesome.

From Gramophone June 2010:

Attached Files:

17. wolfram

Must have missed that. But maybe I just didn't pay attention. There are so many classical labels out there...

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

It was 1998. As part of the deal Polygram got rights to use the Philips name for ten years. Hence, over the last couple of years all Philips reissues have been rebranded Decca. Old stock is still being sold-through, of course.

19. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

You guys confuse me at the moment - jat requiem is on topic here Brahms or Mozarts's ?

coopmv showed a Mozart requiem by mackerras and SCO plus a HvK version. And nxt is a BRAHMs requiem ?!
    I replied that my favorite is as usual Karl Böhm's reading - simply squenching out 99,6 percent of what is in the notes . After watching 20 minutes of the video you start to realize the flow and what is coming next - it just got a natual flow and one path leads to another. Reminds me of the movie when Mozart is coming up with the end of the requiem and tells what is coming and why and when. A crucuial part of that movie (even if this has never happened..)

Anyway there are tons of Requiems I got 3 more (one by Gardiner and another HvK, I like. these two. But none is as nice as that of my man Kalle Böhm !
    There is a reason wy DG picked his version out of all they have released over the decades for the first of the 111 year of excellence selection . As a classical DVD this is also outstanding imo. Often watching just the playing bores me after a while, but here the direction makes this special. The camera is exactly where the musical spirit is going at the moment. The mouth of the singer who is important or that part of the orchestra that is active. No effects just a nice church and setting large choirs and orchestra. The length is exactly right either, not too long .
    Okay price s a bit steep, but you will like it I am sure 100 % Wolfgang.
    Maybe you find snippets at youTube ?
    http://www.amazon.de/Mozart-Wolfgang-Amadeus-Requiem-Symphoniker/dp/B0009K1ZIC

20. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

You guys got me with BACH and since today is a churchholiday and tomorrow is work free - I opted for a MASS in Minor B- Really nice !
    Tölzer Knabenchor- Boys choir Bad Tölz (nice bavarian town) guest on this british recording from 1996. Nice flow, ofter as expected- - only found the time fur CD 1 so far..

Attached Files:

21. coopmv

This is my current favorite of this work ...

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

I have noticed a number of online reviews of Riccardo Chailly's SMP but really have not spent any time to read them. I have largely joined the HIP camp when it comes to works of Bach but will hang on to many of the old-school, i.e. non-HIP recordings I already have.

23. coopmv

Now playing CD4 from this set ...

[​IMG]

24. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning. Another amazing disc from one of the greatest players alive today IMHO.

51edMBIjCrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

How do you rate Kuijken's performance compared to your other versions? Do you agree with the Gramophone reviewer? Chailly's version is closer to what Herreweghe did on his 1998 remake than Herreweghe is to Kuijken's one-to-a-part stripped-to-the-bone dispassionate version, IMHO. I think you owe it to yourself as one with 20+ recordings of SMP to at least check out samples online. It's a phenomenal performance. Btw, I have five or six versions: Herreweghe 1998, Chailly, and Klemperer my favorites. I do not like Gardiner's version at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.