Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

It is on my want list. Just hearing an extended excerpt from Gramophone, if I remember correctly, made me want to buy it.:angel:

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Colin Davis

Stuart, how do you rate Colin Davis's 1966 Philips recording with LSO and Chorus + Harper, Watts, Wakefield, Shirley-Quirk, et al.?

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That's the performance—I first heard it on Japanese LPs in the mid-eighties. I'd suspect that the SQ would be higher on the Naxos transfer, thought the sound isn't all that good in the first place. But it's really a lot like Furtwangler's rendition of the Brahms German Requiem—even though the sound is pretty bad and there's moments where ensemble falls apart, something is coming through on the emotional level that you can't get any other way.

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Cheekiest!

My Bruckner Phase* continues—just got Kent Nagano's performance of the Sixth with the Deutches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin on Harmonia Mundi. Nagano's take on Bruckner's A major symphony is more lyrical and "romantic" than either Jochum or Klemperer. It's remarkable how much difference there is in the sound quality of the 2005 production compared to the mid-sixties recordings of Jochum and Klemperer. Nagano seems to extract more beauty from the slow movement than either of his predecessors. On the other hand, some of the younger conductor's tempo adjustments sound more mannered than J or K.

[​IMG]

*Steve Reich, 1981

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I've begun to come around to Bruckner over the last year, too. I am still collecting recordings, listening, and digesting. Would not be able to tell you why I like a certain performance or why not at this point. There's a lot to grasp and put to order (Anton was nothing if not OCD). Have to say it was Karajan's final Eighth that converted me. Beautiful Adagio. My latest purchase is Paavo Jarvi's SACD of the Seventh on RCA Red Seal.

And now cracking the seal on this bad boy. All of Wagner's operas, including the complete Ring + Tristan by Böhm w/ Nilsson, on 33 CD's for less than $100. Gathered from Decca and Philips catalogs, released summer 2008. No wonder this sold out within a year, OOP now and fetching $140+. The first of three complete Ring cycles begins this weekend at Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.

Attached Files:

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Bombs Away!

This morning, still feeling flush after a successful yard sale of LPs, ordered the Bruckner Fourth and Third SACDs and Harnoncourt's SACD of the Fifth. I'll either go deaf or see God.*

I wouldn't be able to take it—barely survived listening to the entirety of Furtwängler's ° La Scala Ring.

*and then go blind . . .

°speaking of which, my next Bruckner purchase will have to be Furtwängler's wartime recordings on M&A

7. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

That looks awesome! :righton:
    I've tried and tried but I just can't get excited about Opera.
    The Music I love but the singing in a foreign language just don't do it for me.
    SOME day I wanna get one of the Operas redone in English and see how it is.

8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

2 more in the mail for the collection today....brings me to 175 now.
    The Living Stereo collection keeps building! :righton:

These will be spun tonite and tomorrow and I'll see how they are.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

De Godness on da Mount-Tain Top vas Burnink Lack A seelvar fl-ame . . .

It'll be in international Opera English, something anglophonic and essentially inpenetrable.

Stick to Cajun music is what I say.

10. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Just arrived today!
    My latest e-bay win.

[​IMG]

Complete symphonies, Shostakovich, by Kondradhin.
    11 CDs, DSD remastering (apparently).
    Can't wait to sit back and listen!

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Can't see the image. Is that the Melodiya box?

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You don't know how lucky you are boys . . .

I see a Melodiya logo on the box.

13. George P

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

15. George P

GREAT box! However, it wasn't DSD mastered.

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Look forward to your report about this set :)

17. George P

I can give you mine now:

1. One of the very best sets (if not the best) of Shostakovich symphonies ever.

2. Best available mastering of these performances.

3. Buy it! :agree:

18. darkmatter

Thanks George :thumbsup:

19. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Sometimes, bigger is better.

Attached Files:

20. darkmatter

Just realised I wonder if these are the same recordings as were issued by EMI on an LP set, I bought them as a Teen in the early 80s

21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

That set was a pioneering recording in that it broke away from the Victorian interpretation last championed by Sir Malcolm Sargent when mammoth choir was deployed, i.e. some 500-member strong. IMO, it really opened the door for later and more authentic performance, though not necessarily limited to period instrument performance ...

22. coopmv

Now playing this CD, which arrived with 5 other CD's from MDT yesterday ...

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

Technically, this recording probably sounds as good as it can be. It was reconstructed/remastered by Mark Obert-Thorn, one of the very best in this business.

24. coopmv

I currently have 3 complete ring cycles. The first cycle really consists of 4 separate LP sets by Karajan. The second cycle is a 14-LP set on Philips by Boulez. The third set is on CD by Bohm. I think I will probably get the Karajan set on CD sometimes this year. The Boulez's set is also available on DVD, which is another possible acquisition ...

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Do you like it, still listen to it? I have Pinnock's Messiah, and it's very good, looking for a more traditional version somewhere between HIP and Beecham. The '66 Philips Davis appears to fit the bill, I think. Trying to organize a last minute MDT order over here....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.