Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The 3 LP-set by Colin Davis was the first complete Handel Messiah I bought ( in grad school at the time), followed by another set by Charles Mackerras. I finally bought the Davis' set on CD a few years ago. Eddie, go for it. I really think it was a landmark recording. I have not listened to the set in a while but you will not be disappointed.

2. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Now playing:

[​IMG]

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Stuart, while I have you here, are you familiar with the Judas Maccabaeus oratorio? Is it one of Handel's better oratorios? Are you familiar with Mackerras's 1977 version for Arkiv?

4. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

recorded between 1965 and 1975, if it is of any help.

5. coopmv

Now playing this CD, another new arrival from MDT yesterday ...

[​IMG]

6. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Sue hits safe bets - you will like them- my favorite KLicing Stereo is this one..

one of the first with a in depth explanation what Living Stereo is al about and how it was realized in the mid to late 50ies. Recordings are from 2955 and 1959 and to me are the best from an audiophile pov.Just wonderful sounding.. The music gives you joy - a perfect choice eevn among the great LS cannon this one sticks out..

Spending some time in town today I grabbed two more LP's. many those are old records and unlike the stuff we see and show each other here, the artworkoften looks really boring and strangely out of fashion. A sign why that was of no interest to me nack then ...

So I picked the safe stuff. HvK with the 8 Th symphony from the 61/62 cycle on one LP side and 3 overures on Side B . DG plus a still sealed RCA Red Seal DMM Remastered "Pathetique" Symphony 6th in B.Minor by Tchaikowsky, my favorite from this composer... conducted by Eugene Ormandy & The Philadelphia Orchestra.
    This artwork is okay...

Attached Files:

7. coopmv

I have the Mackerras' version on Arkiv on LP only. It is a pertty nice oratorio but obviously not on the same level as Messiah. It has some nice movements, one of which "See the conquering hero comes" has been adopted in Christian hymns sung in many Protestant denominations.
    Here is my favorite version I bought last year ...

[​IMG]

8. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Greig; Incidental music from Peer Gynt
    Academy of St Martins in the Fields/ Neville Marriner EMI CDC 7 47003 -2
    That's right the original JPN pressed one that I purchased from 84 Charing Cross Road, London, England in the mid 80's home to a massive classical music store at the time.

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Remember that shop, I spent a fortune in there on one visit :eek:

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I know ( :sigh: ) then you had to carry it all with you to the rail station.
    A little oasis of calm in the big smoke. :love:

11. Now playing:

[​IMG]

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Pan Marches In

Loud Enough for ya?

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I am listening to this now, too.

14. Baron Von Talbot

Maybe I should join in later :)...? That M3 by Ricardo Chailly is unplayed since a while. I am playing that Nutcracker / Swan Lake suites once more - This is so much fun; only difference this was recorded 40 years later than the Gilels/Reiner Living Stereo.
    This is louder , but not necessarily better sounding; stlil has lots of charmes - London's Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under Yuri Simonov ( ? no idea who that is...) Digitally recorded at Walthamstow Town Hall, East 17 ;-)...

Before that was a lot of Van Der Graaf Generator (Vital & World Record) plus LOHENGRIN Part 1 - I love that opera, but Parzival is my favorite hero of the romantic era...

Attached Files:

15. Hey, this is turning into a love fest. :laugh:

16. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Its time has come.

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Great sounding but not my fave. Tennstedt is the man for me when it comes to the third. :cheers:

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

My favorite is Bernstein's on CBS.

19. coopmv

I have the Lohengrin set by Karajan. How do you like it?

20. coopmv

I bought this set about 2-3 months ago and have played only the first 2 CD's so far ...

[​IMG]

21. Baron Von Talbot

Only heard CD 1 today - I love it !

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

An awesome Mahler cycle. I have around 7 Mahler cycles. :cheers:

23. coopmv

Wagner is the only composer that I have EVERY opera he ever composed. He is the real deal when it comes to opera. :righton:

24. coopmv

I am no fan of Mahler and three cycles are more than enough for me ...

25. coopmv

I presume you are referring to the most recently remastered set and not the original set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.