How To Tell If Your Beatles Stereo Box Is A Fake

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by linclink, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xsant3

xsant3 Forum Resident

I did not see the seller listing other beatles boxes. So PayPal can just yank my account if I report it to the cc co.? That would suck.

But now I'm a little confused, looking at this thread a little closer I noticed that there is actually a legit version of this box set made for the EU. I never opened my box, so I was basing my determination that my copy was fake on the photo that showed the fake as one without the fbi logo. So without opening and checking for the spelling errors and other quality issues, there really is no way to tell the fake from the real one based on the outside of the box? Is that right?

2. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

The cheapest you can get a stereo box set on ebay is $94, shipping included.

3. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

As far as I'm aware, yes. I didn't buy a replacement box so I can't tell you what a legitimate slipcase or box external looks like in comparison. Instead I have been slowly picking up some of the stereo remasters for bargain prices as they pop up at legitimate outlets (UK supermarkets) - where I can actually see what I'm buying.

4. xsant3

xsant3 Forum Resident

But there is a legit EU version of the box that differs from the U.S. version?, the main difference being the FBI logo and some of the other logos, fonts and print on the back of the box?

5. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

There would be no FBI logo on any box sets or CDs that are manufactured in Europe or anywhere else in the world that is not part of the USA (be it with The Beatles or any other artist for that matter). The FBI logo is strictly a US thing (thankfully!).

6. Baba Oh Really

I have a feeling that a lot of the people getting deals on Ebay kind of know they are fakes, but they feel it is a good option for someone who can't afford the legit set - especially since the discs sound exactly the same.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The thing is: They're not. If you want a fake, you can find them for as little as $30 shipped from China. So $100 for a fake through eBay is a terrible deal.

And if all you want is the music, you might as well download a Flac torrent for free, since there's no moral difference, and you cut out the middleman. Plus, given the lack of quality on a lot of the pressings in the Chinese fakes, you are more likely to get a good playable copy with the torrent.

8. Baba Oh Really

Agreed. It's not a good deal.

9. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

I saw someone selling his opened Mono box copy, claiming all discs play stereo instead mono and the Mono Masters have the same tracklist as Past Masters.... maybe another fake

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Count on it.

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

13. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

sadly I did ! It is through paypal so i might be ok!:(

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You'll get an email pretty soon since you had won the auction. I'm not sure how it works if you've already paid for an item that was canceled by ebay but I think you should be alright.

Eddie

16. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

the real problem is contacting the seller! who i hope responds! there were two things in the persons favour for the reason i brought it! he has been there for 5 years and two only one negative comment and that was about shipping . so i have sent the question asking about it and i will see what happens the problem is a lot of the other people are using exactly the same pictures so this still could be real ! You never know...... also this was not being sent from china and this person sells gold nuggets mostly so this is very weird !

17. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

ok i will find out tomorrow or thenext what i will be getting ! this will be intresting ! they guy responded by saying he had no idea why they were deleting his posts after they had been sold but in the last few days thats what has happened to him! so its a wait and see thing !

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you insist on buying it now, once eBay has pulled the auction, you will have no recourse WHEN you get a counterfeit in the mail. (Pretty much not if, WHEN).

If the auction has been pulled, PayPal should automatically be returning your money, if you paid through the link in on eBay. You should inquire immediately to get your money back.

And you should definitely not go ahead with the transaction, unless you think $80 is a good deal for a counterfeit box set that wholesales for $25 in the US.

I don't.

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The very simple way to avoid these headaches is to step up and pay the right price to a trusted retailer (known brick-and-mortar store or mail-order business, like Amazon, Acoustic Sounds, etc.).

20. Mike the Fish

That sadly seems to be the case. :agree:

21. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

Do you think there will be Chinese counterfeits of Beatles Remastered Vinyl Box?

22. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Anything is feasible but I don't know if they have access to vinyl pressing facilities.

23. Mike the Fish

Counterfeit vinyl is still on the go, where it originates from I don't know.

24. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I recently purchased one of these fake sets on Ebay. Don't know what I was thinking...I know there's a lot of cheap fakes on Ebay...but I saw this one on sale from Spain, selling for $88 and...didn't think too long about it and just bought it thinking there was a pretty good chance it might be real.

No. It has all the exact same mis-spellings and errors that Mike posted here. It SOUNDS really good to me...I have no real reason to believe the SOUND would be any different than the real sets, although I have nothing to A/B it with. But the glue on the box was falling apart from the minute I opened it (shrinked-wrapped and sealed inside a separate cardboard box). And it has the flimsy inner sleeves, misspellings on the outer sleeves, and cheap-y looking printing on the discs themselves.

So I email back the seller and tell him it is a counterfeit and I want my money refunded immediately. I tell him if he doesn't refund my Paypal account within 48 hrs I will file a complaint with Paypal and notify the authorities that he sold me a counterfeit item. He replies back saying he will refund me if I promise to send it back to a US address. I agree. He says he doesn't have a US address yet, but will let me know as soon as he does. I repeat my threat. My Paypal account gets refunded right away.

1) I can't believe I actually thought this might be a legit set.
    2) I'm even more shocked I actually got a refund.
    3) Should I bother to send it back (even thought I said I would)? Should I still alert the authorities?

25. Mike the Fish

Were your With The Beatles and Hard Days Night discs switched even though they were sealed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.