Days of Future Passed Original Mix Differences/Catalog Number? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sidewinder43, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GinGin

GinGin Forum Resident

Rainbow Glo of Traveling Eternity Road BBS posted today:

The fabulous Derek Varnals, of Moody Blues fame and beyond, kindly addressed some questions for me, and dispelled a few age-old rumors about the making of the quad versions from the Core Seven days.

DOFP is discussed at the bottom.

http://rainbow_glo.webs.com/6910derekvarnalsqa.htm

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Excellent link! thanks!

3. Great info. As I have suspected (and I'm sure others have for years) "Time Traveler" does indeed have the original mixes for "NIWS" and "TA". I hate to say this but I've gotten so used to the remix made in 1978 with the orchestra sounding marvelous and full bodied that I prefer it even with the minor flaws (like the missing harmony vocal on one track).

4. Millstone

Millstone New Member

I would really like to hear a good master of the original mix someday. I just hope that some vault, somewhere has a copy of it.

5. It would be nice, yes, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon (if ever). The opportunity was there when Mofi did DOFP and chose to go with the 1978 remix. Was it a mistake? I don't necessarily think so but I would have liked to see BOTH mixes issued at some point.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Cool, thanks. I'm a bit perplexed about the DOFP remixes being sync-ups, however. The quad mix didn't really seem like it had more than 4 sources. And I think there was some confusion about the segues being done live. It seems as if there were in fact separate multis for the band and orchestra, which were in fact crossfaded live during mixing, but the mix tapes had the segues intact.

I have no idea what the UK masters sound like, but there's no problem with the US copies, thankfully.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

According to Bill Levenson, test pressings of the original mix were made for the band prior to one of the reissues, but they elected to go with the remix again. Of course, never say "never".

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Also...

"The extra bit in Peak Hour was my mistake; I had forgotten a piece had been cut out."

If I remember correctly, this is backwards - the original mix repeats a section, similar to Phil Spector's I Me Mine, while the later mixes don't have the repeat.

McLover likes this.
  9. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks! for the info.

10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Pulled out my Deram pressing today and noticed "Y" in the deadwax... Anyone know who that was? I was expecting a GK.

11. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Picked up a US GK pressing recently that sounds decent and the cover is in good shape. One question on the inner sleeve. This one has a blue Capital Records sleeve advertising various artist like (Frank Sinatra, Vic Damone, The Lettermen, Peggy Lee, Nat King Cole) and the Duotone "CAUTION" about needle care at the bottom, I assume this isn't the original sleeve and someone along the way threw it in there?

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It is not. Besides Capitol not being associated, that sleeve sounds like one Capitol used in 1964.

superstar19 likes this.
  13. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

Will the 1967 stereo mix (DES-18012) ever be properly mastered to CD?

~Ben

14. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I very much doubt it.

I'm very sure the powers-that-be feel the same way about it that I do (and, incidentally, our host does): it's pretty much irreparably dull and murky.

I've always thought Derek Varnals' '78 mix did a marvelous job of retaining a '67 'vibe', the right sort of compression on the drums, chamber reverb, etc. ... thank God he wasn't influenced by what was going on in production at the time (clinical separation, bone-dry, Aphex, etc.)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    McLover likes this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Depends on which powers that be.

bhazen likes this.
  16. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

What have you heard?

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not much, other than a release was on the table at least once and some songs have been used on compilations. I think it's a matter of who initiates things and who has veto power.

bhazen likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I wonder if there is a safety reel out there which survived. Scotch 202 has been a glitchy medium, I purchased 30 reels of it. I have had issues with over 24 reels of it in how it aged. A good point. Scotch 177 and Highlander has survived well for me as has the follow on Scotch 206/207.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As has been noted in this thread, a few songs have already been released on compilations, and the entire album was prepared for possible release.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Glad to hear that. Hope the master mix is extant on more reliable tape stock.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The tapes are not the issue. Getting them released is.

IDwithnoE likes this.
  22. Millstone50

Millstone50 Forum Resident

There is a safety copy "out there" that "someone" got a hold of and digitized, flat. With some gentle EQ it sounds 'not bad' which is about all you can hope for.

23. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

That may be the one I have.

Just listened this morning and I'm trying to find out the info as I have read it before but forget the actual facts. It does sound flatish...( a bit muddy, somewhat of a 'veil') but decent and I can't hear that it would be a needledrop either. Could it be from a cassette ? It sounds better than that to me...but who knows.

It's sequenced as 10 tunes, not 7 as on my legit cd's.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've never heard a version of the original mix that doesn't sound like that.

25. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Well....I'm glad I have it whatever the source ! It's just a cdr copy, not pressed as a real (haha) bootleg cd. The vocals DO in fact, to me, sound better than the instrumentation. So it's not an overall muddy sound so much....and I'm fairly convinced it's from a tape of some kind. Someone was sneaky I believe. :cool:

I'm still trying to find the text of what it is....I know I've read it in the past...somewhere..sheesh !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.