David Bowie "Station To Station" Special Edition (2010)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any word on this? From his official site (2009):

The return of the Thin White Duke...

It is with much pleasure that we can exclusively reveal details of the upcoming four disc special edition of the Station To Station album, originally released on RCA in January 1976.

Due in the first half of 2010 (we've learnt our lesson about giving exact dates this far in advance) the package will contain the following...

Station To Station Special Edition

Disc 1
    CD = Original stereo Station To Station album
    Disc 2
    DVD = 5.1 Station To Station surround sound mix and original stereo album. 5.1 - Mixed by Harry Maslin.
    Discs 3 & 4
    2 x CDs = Uniondale, Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum March 23rd, 1976 - Mixed by Harry Maslin.

Live Nassau 1976 tracklisting

01 - Station To Station
    02 - Suffragette City
    03 - Fame
    04 - Word On A Wing
    05 - Stay
    06 - Waiting For The Man
    07 - Queen Bitch
    08 - Life On Mars?
    09 - Five Years
    10 - Panic In Detroit (with most of drum solo edited out)
    11 - Changes (with band Intro)
    12 - TVC 15
    13 - Diamond Dogs
    14 - Rebel Rebel
    15 - The Jean Genie

I know Nassau '76 has always been a popular show among Bowie fans, coming fourth as it did in our Bowie bootleg poll of last year. (04.26.2008 NEWS: VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE BOWIE BOOTLEG & 06.01.2008 NEWS: YOUR FAVOURITE BOWIE BOOTLEG POLL RESULTS)

The poll asked: "What other bootlegs would you like to see get the official treatment?". The Thin White Duke still came fourth even after I stipulated that it would be coming out anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that it's probably even more popular than our poll suggested. Either way, I for one can't wait to hear Harry's 5.1 mix of Station To Station and his mix of Live Nassau 1976.

Stay tuned for more details.

:goodie: :love: :confused:

2. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Total Blam Blam on davidbowie.com 06.08.2010
    We must see a release soon then!

3. peter

peter Senior Member

Yowsa!

One of my biggest concert misses was Bowie in Vancouver on Jan. 1, 1976. I heard it was an unbelievable show.

4. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

they better hurry up!

5. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident

So I'm assuming that disc 2 is a DVD-V with 5.1 Dolby/DTS, but is the stereo version going to be 24bit/48khz/96khz PCM? A high-res stereo version would be a huge selling point for me.

6. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Found this quote off another site!!

It is indeed coming, this just in from BowieNet:

"...got stuck at Abbey Road listening to the upcoming Deluxe Edition of Station To Station...though I have to admit, it wasn't a chore!"

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Santa Monica '72 was delayed for years - I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens here.

8. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

That would be pretty amazing for sure!

9. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

The deluxe editions of 'David Bowie' and Space Oddity were released without much delay, right?

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

hi-res stereo or not, i'll be surprised (and happy) if the mastering is good....the original WG RCA is quite good....can it be beaten?

11. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Pretty much on the timescale they were given. As there has been no official date given for STS we can't really say if it has been delayed or not.
    Hope it appears soon though.

12. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

What's up with this?:

Was this a super excessive 70s drum solo or something?

13. Colocally

Yes, while Mr B had a "bathroom break" ;)

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Bowienet only gave first half of 2010 as a release date. Apparently the news editor there posted in recent days that he had been at Abbey Road Studios listened to the finished product, so maybe it is not too far away.

15. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Roughly 8:40, which I'd say is excessive for a Bowie concert.

16. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

During that tour the drum solo allowed him to smoke two cigarettes on stage in that amount of time.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My God you got me excited ! Went over to Amazon to learn NO MIKE, IT'S NOT A 5.1 RECORDING OF " SPACE ODDITY " !!!!! :( oh well...

18. peter

peter Senior Member

Folks here should check out the Vancouver soundchecks on youtube....

19. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

Pretty sad that those are the only video recordings of that concert... There was some video shot in germany but I guess it was never released? Shame.

20. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Looking forward to the live CDs. I saw him at the LA forum on this tour. Great show.

21. Colocally

There was some professional footage filmed on the last night in Paris too.

22. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

To be honest I wish they would release the Nassau show separately as that's what I'm most interested in (assuming the new version of Station to Station isn't an improvement...but maybe I'm being pessimistic).

23. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

STS producer Harry Maslin has mastered this release, which is encouraging, as are the two recent non-brickwalled deluxe sets. having said that, the WG RCA is perfect, so i understand the interest in the live set overshadowing the album itself. in a four disc set it is a shame that the drum solo was cut. an obvious and simple solution for those with short attention spans:

10 - Panic In Detroit
    11 - Drum Solo
    12 - Panic In Detroit (reprise)

24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Did he really play on New Year's Day? Most acts usually break for the festive season.

I own a dvd of the soundchecks. Well worth having, and looks like it's the only footage of this tour we're going to get. Pity it's not included with this release.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The show was February 2, 1976. Not sure why the prior poster thought it was 1/1/76...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.