Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Nice 'n' Easy" - 1960*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jun 19, 2010.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Looking ahead to Nice 'N' Easy: Anybody have any releases OTHER than these?
    •British Box CD
    •Norberg CD
    •first press (points) N2 mono
    •Argentina Grey Label (actually called Romantico y Sonador) made with US stampers (N6)
    •UK reissue (Music For Pleasure) (alternate Cover)
    •MFSL 1983 LP (box set version)
    •Walsh CD 1991
    •Yellow-label SM series (mine is a little "loved," so I wouldn't mind having a nicer copy)
    •1984 British "Alan Dell" series
    •MFSL CD

I'd especially like to track down comparison samples of:
    •Original pressings
    •MFSL 1980's single-disc (non-box-set)
    •2008 MFSL LP
    •Foreign pressings
    •Reel-to-reel

Any clips from How Deep is the Ocean and I've Got a Crush on You would be appreciated.

Thanks as always,
    Matt

MarkusGermany likes this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The Walsh digital masters appeared first in 1988, on the original CD release of NICE 'N' EASY. This had just the original 12 tracks (no bonuses). Like ALL THE WAY that year, it went OOP quickly and is quite rare. There's nothing different sonically from the expanded 16-track 1991 reissue, but it's worth mentioning for historical sake.

McLover and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  3. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I have the '88, didn't know it was 'rare.' First Sinatra CD I ever bought.

D.B. likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Considering that it had only a three-year lifetime before being recalled, it's "rare" compared to its replacement. I don't see very many showing up in the used market.

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I've also tended to see the '91 more. The outside packaging is a little different, plus the bonus songs.

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The '88 also lacked the Pete Welding liner notes. Welding was responsible for adding all the bonus tracks to the Capitol concept album CD reissues.

spindly, Lurgan Lad and Simon A like this.
  7. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

How goes the NnE analysis, Matt? Can't wait!

8. MLutthans

Circumstances have been holding me up of late. I'm doing a lot of recording work, plus I had a little glitch with my web-building stuff that has caused a bit of a hiccup, to put it mildly. Also, this is one album that I really want to do "right," so I'm not about to rush through it. Too much interesting stuff here. If anybody has:

•Original pressings
    •MFSL 1980's single-disc (non-box-set)
    •2008 MFSL LP
    •Foreign pressings
    •Reel-to-reel

....let me know!

Matt

9. rangerjohn

Whenever it appears, it will be worth the wait, Matt. Thanks.

10. MLutthans

After many false starts and hiccups, I've made some progress with the long-delayed NICE 'N' EASY pages. Because Frank Sinatra Enterprises did not approve of streaming clips that were posted "back in the day" when discussing previous albums, I can only share the text of my efforts here:

http://web.me.com/mlutthans/Site_3/1960_-_Nice_n_Easy_2.html

However, if you were a contributor to the pages, you have the associated audio clips as I've pieced them together, so please share your thoughts here! (To everybody else, my apologies. I know this kinda stinks....I'd love to share, but I can't!) Contributors: PM me if you have any questions regarding the clips.

It's not done yet, as there is no winners page, but there is still a lot to hash over here.

Matt

11. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Matt, thanks for that very interesting analysis of the stereo mix.

I didn't send you any samples this time as the only version I have of Nice n Easy is the 1976 UK stereo 'Nice n Easy with Sinatra', and I knew you had that one covered already. I might be of more use when you do 'Swingin Session' as I have a few more copies of that LP.

I still wish 'The Nearness of You' could have made it to the final version of 'Nice n Easy'. It's one of Sinatra's greatest tracks IMO, and sadly it got bumped to make way for the title song.

McLover and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  12. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Thank you for your continued analysis, Matt.

On a side note, if I weren't an honest lad, I'd already have "Nice and Beefy" up as my avatar. :winkgrin:

McLover likes this.
  13. rangerjohn

Wow, Matt. You are an exemplary educator. That was quite a history/techniques lesson. Thanks, as always.

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

From Matt's web site:
    I don't know about the logos, but I doubt it's an authorized release. There is at least one eBay seller who is listing a barcode for this 12-track Australian CD, and it is *NOT* an EMI number. It's no coincidence that we have just passed the 50th recording anniversary, which marks the date on which knockoffs become legal (public domain) outside the USA. ;)

With regard to official CD versions, it's worth noting that there were *TWO* different Capitol releases of the Larry Walsh mastering in the US. The first came in 1988 as a straight 12-track reissue of the original LP (CDP 7 91149 2). The liner notes consisted solely of a reproduction of the LP back cover. This was replaced in 1991 by a 16-track version with bonus tracks, new rear artwork, and expanded liner notes by Pete Welding (CDP 7 96827 2). The latter issue is still in print in the UK and available new in "Norberg-free" regions of the world.

CBackley and Bob Belvedere like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I recently gave in and purchased the latest MoFi vinyl of "Nice n' Easy" and I must say I am truly impressed. To me, and my ears are nowhere near as critical (and I say that in a flattering manner:wave:) as Matt's or Martin's, it is my favorite complete version of the album. I prefer it over the companion-piece MoFi CD and any "original" vinyl copies I have. (I say "complete version" because I actually prefer the dryer versions of the tunes from this LP selected for the 3 CD "The Capitol Years". It is one smoooooooth ride, baby!

P.S. Matt, sorry but I don't have the capabilities to copy the LP and send to you for your wonderful research. :shake:

16. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Great work, Matt. :righton:

17. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

There was also the issue with the original stereo pressing having one side out of phase (can't remember which). The original MFSL was the first stereo vinyl version that I've heard that was phase correct on both sides. I have a nice original mono copy I can needle drop a sample if you need it.

18. MLutthans

My thanks to those who have contributed additional samples today. Much appreciated! I'm going rafting Thursday, but I'll try to work with the new acquisitions by Thursday night or Friday morning, and report back.

Matt

19. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Thoroughly good read and very informative Matt. Thanks

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Matt,

Please God never analyze my Nat King Cole remixes on your site. I might not ever recover!

------------

Regarding the mono echo on NICE & EASY. You sure the 1960 mix in stereo has mono echo? I'm not doubting you but they had a stereo chamber (clearly heard on LOVE IS THE THING remixed in 1958). My question to you is that the actual 1960 mix was used. At Capitol they sometimes remixed "secretly" all up and down the line, usually if a tape got damaged. Could be a 1961 "remix" might have used mono echo or whatever.

Also a lot of the "stereo" echo at Capitol was piped in OUT OF PHASE and when canceled to mono, vanishes completely...

------------

Lastly, wonderful stuff on your site (unless your Larry W. or someone, gulp). Jackie Gleason's VELVET BRASS was recorded in April, 1957, not in 1956, just to keep the dates straight (and 'cause I love VELVET BRASS I know everything about it which is pretty silly...)

--------

Keep up the good work!

McLover likes this.
  21. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

I never thought there could be such a wonderful place!:laugh:

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

We all love Matt, but I think we'd all tar and feather him of he found something wrong with your "Nat's".:agree:

What can we do to get them nominated for a Grammy?

23. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Yes , another great read on a great album , thanks !

24. MLutthans

The Nat vinyl should be 4-LP 78 RPM sets.

25. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

sure a great line...

rxcory and McLover like this.