Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #11)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Going in late to work this morning so I pulled this off the LP shelf:
    Beethoven* - Maurizio Pollini, Karl Böhm, Wiener Philharmoniker - Klavierkonzert- Piano Concerto No.4

Promo pressing, 1976.

dan c

Attached Files:

• dg2.jpg
      dg2.jpg
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

It's entirely possible. I can't count how many CDs I've purchased that came with receipts or notations indicating they came from this state or that. I recently bought a batch from a guy that relocated to TX from NYC. He bought most of the discs in the 80s. I'm from PA myself.

NP:

Attached Files:

3. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I have that one also and give it a hearty :edthumbs:
    The Bartok is excellent as well!

4. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Dan C

I love your old radio....it still work?
    To think someone huddled around that to listen to some old radio shows before TV.
    Ahhhhh Fibber McGee and Molly......The Shadow......The Lone Ranger......
    I remember the background music for The Shadow....Classical style but by who I don't know.
    No I don't go back that far but there was a AM station I listened to as a Kid that re-aired em.
    I had some of those old radios but they were Bake-O-Lite.....I never had a wood one.

[​IMG]

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I started collecting early music in earnest beginning last year. Prior to last year, I probably had fewer than 2 dozens recordings in early music but have added some 120+ CD's since then according to my computer.

6. Damian72

I have a few but that's it. So much to learn and appreciate.

NP:

Attached Files:

• bk.jpg
      bk.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  7. coopmv

It seems that everyone and his cousin who is into classical music has this Beethoven 5th & 7th by Kleiber. I have had this CD for years ...

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Me too. (surprise!)

The real surprise came when I compared it to my favorite, the '63 recording by HvK and the BPO. I liked the '63 more, by a decent margin.

9. coopmv

Carlos Kleiber has had a bit of a cult following for years.

10. Damian72

I come across it quite often so it must have been a big seller (at least by classical standards). I doubt I will return to it much. Not that it's bad but I found it lacking the right Ooooommpphh!

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Jeepers - the first quality I would assign to it is Ooompmpphh (and I prefer it to the HVK).

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This was my first SACD.
    I remember that before playing it I was expecting jaw dropping sound quality, you know because of the SACD, but then I did not not find it better sounding than my Originals CD.

Oh well, the performance is great anyways.

13. villicodelirante

villicodelirante Forum Resident

Me too, only I have it in a different package, a budget thing they ran in EU in the 90s called "100 Classics".

Now, can anybody suggest some good-ish, tuneful-ish, melodic-ish but not dull-ish nor clayderman-ish classical piano pieces good for late night listening, when Mahler is way too heavy metal?
    Some nocturnes, perhaps.

14. villicodelirante

I like it especially becaus it's not gratuitously ooomph-y.
    Not that ooomph is bad, I love ooomph, it's just that... I think that going all oooomphy with Beethoven is too easy, sometimes.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, Nocturnes are lovely. I suggest Chopin's, as played by Arrau. The inexpensive twofer on Philips sounds great!

Faure's solo piano music on Brilliant Classics by Collard is very cheap and would surely fit your purpose as well.

16. villicodelirante

Well, let's say it's Blue Oyster Cult ooomph, not Manowar ooomph :p

17. villicodelirante

Guess what I am listening right now?
    Exactly.
    Chopin. Nocturnes. Arrau. Philips.

I love his playing on that one, although I dearly love Rubinstein's rendition too.
    Another favourite of mine is Cortot - his preludes from Munich 1946 have a thing.

Uh, thanks. Would care to point me to a specific release?
    Thanks a lot :)

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Which one? He recorded them three times. I enjoy the earliest set the most, I think.

Cortot is sublime! :righton:

http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Music-F...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1276949470&sr=8-1

while you're at it:

http://www.amazon.com/After-Rain-Sa...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1276949577&sr=1-3

Try the samples and see if you like Satie. :wave:

19. Damian72

Gratuitously Ooomph-y - Now that's a band name.

:laugh: We all have our own levels of the right ooomph.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Ooomph-y Loopers

[​IMG]

:laugh:

Geuss this whole post is gratuitous . . . Check out my posts at Goldberg Variations, which one?, they probably belong here anyway . . .

21. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Brahms: Symphony no4
    BPO Karajan 1988 recording
    DG 427 497-2 WG original

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

I didn't like it that much, either. Kleiber's B5 & 7 did not live up to its hype IMO. Instead of having "ooomph," it just kind of sat there on the couch, not expecting, and not getting, a whole lot of attention.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Da Capo and his Mobsters featuring Al Coda and the Rub-Outs

This was posted on another thread, but it seems like it belongs here anyway, so . . .

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I was introduced to Carlos Kleiber's recording of Beethoven's Fifth under audiophile circumstances and think of the recording in those terms when I listen to my SACD of the performance. This performance isn't the blunt-force instrument of Toscanini or Szell, this recording really is a lodestar for the HIPP movement. It's very attentive to the score and because of that, more Classical than Romantic. In that way, the recording has been quite prescient. There's real dynamic variation in the performance, something often pushed aside in other performances. Everything is more finely detailed than in other performances. It's an unusually fine interpretation and realization of the score.

25. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

This is the great one. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.