Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #11)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

Which is all very nice. Why, then, do I not like it more, because my circumstances are not "audiophile" enough? Shouldn't this great a performance sing under any circumstance, using any kind of equipment?

I will admit, one of my problems has always been the sound, which I find very gray. It's the remastered CD from the DG Originals series.

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The LPs aren't gray sounding—rather the opposite—the SACD isn't gray sounding at all. I've owned the Originals remaster, briefly. It didn't sound as good. On the other hand, this performance is emotionally cool compared to others and that might be reason enough for some to be not quite as turned-on by the performance.

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

It's all too personal. For me, all that Robin attributed to Kleiber's B5/7 has much more connection with the relatively recent Haitink's B5/7 or even with the war-time Furtwangler's accounts. Especially the dynamic/color variance (i.e. that truly rare multi-dimensionality), which I kinda lack in the Kleiber.

It's hard to explain, but when I heard Kleiber for the very first time it worked well, although definitely "in your face". But after few re-listens I felt that it COULDN'T be THE definitive Fifth, although it tries hard and is far from the complete fail. I just felt that Kleiber kinda said it all during the opening bars. On the opposite, Haitink treats the first knocks of Fate as they are: the FIRST knocks, the initial warning, developing, escalating it further. I really don't hear such an escalation in Kleiber's constant tour-de-force, although it's a good alternative listen and I place it not so far from the top recommendations.

4. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now listening:

Brahms: Symphony No. 4. Berliner Philharmoniker/Harnoncourt

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I'm sure these were issued in the early days of cd and it may be worth trying to track down the original cds if you like the performance as Hifi News and Record Review did over here.

6. Jay F

I like my musical emotion florid, to say the least (Springsteen, Mahler, Linda).

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Have you tried the 1963 HvK recording, Jay?

8. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Of course Nocturnes - my faves are that old twofer on Phillip by that harsewicz or what the name is (coopmv got that one, too), Pollini's are not bad either.

But as far as pure romantic unsweetened enjoyment goes Schubert rules - this one is my go to treasure (played it again two nights ago for romantic purposes) : Nikolai Demidenko, piano | Schubert, Impromptus - ''Wanderer'' Fantasy - Moments Musicaux - Drei Klavierstuckeumann rules

TFollowed by Kissin's take on Chopin's 4 Ballads.
    A few louder parts just highten the excitement. Piano playing at it's very finest....RCA Red Seal Disc (part of the Kissin Chopin 5 CD set for under 20 bucks - a must have for Kissin and Chopin fans alike...)

Hewitt has a few nice one's on offer as well as Marc Andre Hamelin - all o hyperion check the romantic piano series..

Not to forget Rubinstein, Cortot and Richter amo

9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning. A great 4th.

nielse.jpg

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Earlier today I listened to Herbert von Karajan and the BPO's 1963 recording of the Fifth Symphony* - as spendid as I remembered.

11. Rose River Bear

What symphonies from that great cycle are not splendid?

12. Jay F

I thought I had answered this already. I guess not. Anyway, I had the HVK 1963 box set at one time, but it never grabbed me, so I sold it, must be 20 years ago.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

The 6th. Too fast, too cold. It's like a Pastoral Symphony in Alaska, in January.

The rest is damn good! Some prefer the 9th that would follow this on in the seventies, but I like the rawness of the 1963 9th.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Oh, OK.

Maybe the broad tempos of Barenboim's set will work for you. The sound is spectacular.

15. Rose River Bear

I was hoping you would say that. I don't know what it is with that Pastorale in the 63 cycle. The tempo does not grab me. :cheers:

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Luckily we have Walter and Boehm for the 6th. :agree:

17. Rose River Bear

The Bohm is probably at the top of my list. Walter is a close second. I like Vanska's for recent recordings.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I haven't liked any of the newer recordings that I have heard - except for Barenboim's magnificent set.

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

:) Thanks, it's my little man-cave in our mid-century house. The wood-flavored wallpaper is silly but we can't bring ourselves to tear it down. And yes, the RCA radio works. Shame there's nothin' good on the radio anymore.

dan c

20. Rose River Bear

Man is that a great set. Hopefully no one will top it. I don't need another Beethoven Sym cycle trust me. :laugh:

21. Rose River Bear

Don't tear it down. Looks like real wood to me.:agree:

22. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

I know how you feel. I have something like 15 sets of the sonatas.

23. Rose River Bear

I have around 12 Sym cycles. Wow 15 sets of the sonatas! I have around six and a bunch of stand alone recordings. :cheers:

PS- Which sonata set do you put on first overall?

24. George P

George P Notable Member

It used to be Annie Fischer's, until I became somewhat disillusioned with the fact that it was a cut and paste job (though it doesn't sound that way to me.) I would prefer a more natural performance, but then, like I said, it doesn't sound that way when I listen to it, so I guess it's no biggie.

I have been inclined to say Gulda's Amadeo/Brilliant set, though he is too emotionally cool overall to be a first pick. Still, his technique, forward momentum and consistently solid readings are a treasure.

So that brings us back to Annie Fischer. I'd have to say that hers is my favorite. I wrote a lengthy review over at amazon, if you're curious. Mine is the first review listed.

The only other one up there with those two is Backhaus (stereo, for it's better sound), when it comes to complete sets. Those three sets are excellent. I have a number of other sets that I think are very good, I just don't enjoy them as much as those three. These include Schnabel, Kempff (mono), Yves Nat, Kovacevich (though the steely sound wears on me), Barenboim (DG) and Goode.

For incomplete "sets" (whether boxed together or sold separately), Gilels leads the pack, with Richter close behind. Rubolf Serkin (mono years especially), Moravec, Hungerford, Hoffman's live Waldstein (has to be heard to be believed), Yudina and Pollini (especially early and live stuff.)

More than you asked for, but as you might have guessed, it's one of my favorite topics.

25. Rose River Bear

I have to agree. You and I are on the same page. I could not live without Fischer or Kempff. Gulda for 15, 17 and 21. :edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.