Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #11)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Cool. :edthumbs:

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

I've heard that's a good one. Most of what I've heard by him has been on some really noisy records, so I kind of wrote him off a long time ago (that, plus I've not liked EMI sound on many CDs). But then I got his version of Mahler's 7th, and it's one of the best I've ever heard. I think his Beethoven is OOP and tres cher, though, and Beethoven Symphonies aren't something I'm going to spend any more money on.

I like Bohm's B6, B7, and B9 best, probably. And Harnoncourt's whole set.

I like hearing Beethoven live more than I have ever liked any particular recording, and I've had plenty of them (HVK x 3, LB X 2, Bohm, Harnoncourt, Walter, Norrington, Hogwood, Abbado x 2, as well as others who aren't coming to mind at the moment).

Sometime in the '90s, it seemed less important to have all these CDs, a library, if you will, than to have just the ones I like. So I got rid of a lot of my classical CDs. Sure, I cut too close, and had to re-buy some, but the only Beethoven Symphony recordings I missed were Bohm's 6 and 9 (I used to have his box set on LP).

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That Mahler 7th is one of my favorites. I always seem to go for it even over Lenny. :cheers:

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Well, for others who may be interested - They are in print and the set is selling for $25 over at MDT.

5. Jay F

Me, too. And I was shocked. Speaking of Bernstein, I don't know if I like the DG 7th more than the CBS, but I play it more.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Barenboim has a way of doing that. I was shocked when I heard his Schumann Symphony cycle. Totally unexpected. :cheers:

7. zen

zen Senior Member

Furtwängler lite. :shh:

Seriously though, I think Barenboim's set is quite nice.

8. Jay F

I once bought an Angel box set of him doing the Mozart PCs, and they had so much surface noise, I didn't buy another classical LP, or anything by Barenboim, for years. I hate throwing money away.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

:edthumbs:

10. Jay F

11. Jay F

Another M7 I like a lot is Michael Tilson-Thomas'.

12. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

LvB cycles -Abbados Walter, Furtwängler, Böhm and HvK have all set standards and made it kind of futile to record just another cycle with a big orchestra, sure Abbados is nice - but how much new did he tell us ?
    The new Mackerras cycle with the SCO oth- say what thou wilt, this new mixture of HiV and modern instruments with lesser but very good players in the orchestra simply shine a new light on these after a while too well known symphonies. That polish philharmonic chamber 7th on TACET LP is in a class of it's own and i find it very nice to compare it to a DG LP recital by Böhm.
    Somehow the 7th is a feve of mine - of course nothing on recorded history can equal Böhm's final reading of the 9th clocking in just under 80 minutes.
    Abendroth deserves to be heard - His Eroica is really something special....

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

When you're a Jet, you're the swingin'est thing . . .

Me too. Have a clean copy of Lenny's CBS LPs, also a later [but clean] pressing of his first recording of the Resurrection. Still love those two LPs.

14. Baron Von Talbot

Didn't want to mix this up with the discussion on Beethoven cycles.

But i came across just another Nocturne recital today by a new talent I never heard before - from China - no not Lang Lang..lol...

I very much enjoyed the incredibly beautiful opera recorded in Mono one year before I was born at the Scala with the Callas and Moffo - Puccini - LaBboheme - Like hiney for a hurt soul.. Tired of all that soccer bnonsense down in africa...

plus two very nice audiophile baroque chamber musique recordings. One in Studio master quality 24/96 file or SACD, playing atm VIVALDI - La Stravaganza and a Schubert cycle on MDG , a small german audiophile label with a local string quartet. Nice tonal quality both... Really good stuff , more than I can listen to, but the opera was so entertaining it just flew by- Must be one of the greatest operas ever - although this is said no to be the best La Boheme, just the most spectacular due to the superb vocal delivery by Maria Callas.. L.O:V:E:L:Y
    I never expected to enjoy an opera in my life . and by now I am a sucker for it..same with chmaber music and Bach fugues.. strange what a difference a good stereo can make...

New treasures in my collection (guess you all know the Puccini La Boheme - instead I show a Sinopoli Dresdner Staatskapele Bruckner 9 I grabbed this week) :

Attached Files:

15. Baron Von Talbot

Just cheked my ollection and foud a NOCTURNE by Rubinstein. This is on RCA Gold Seal from 1998. How do you rate that George ß You said he released 3 Nocturne sets...dark blue night sky and moon on the cover
    Only heard it once and I think it is decent, but it is not only Chopin, right...plus some orchestra joining in from ztime to time...not a piano solo recital.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Sounds like you got a compilation, I was referring to his three sets of Nocturnes, piano only.

This is the early set that I was referring to earlier.

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

How about Gunter Wand for the 6th? :winkgrin:

18. coopmv

Now playing this CD from my Bach collection to test out this new computer speaker system ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

Now playing this SACD from my Tchaikovsky collection ...

[​IMG]

20. coopmv

The new computer speaker system is finally firing up its bass. Not sure if the sub, which is essentially a class D amp, needs a little time to burn in when it is new out of box. :confused:

21. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Prepare for a roll over to a new thread.....the change is coming! :righton:
    Busy place and a lotta new people I see now.

22. Graphyfotoz

All electronic stuff needs a "burn-in" period from what I have been told over the years.
    Speakers.....TV....Stereo....Cd Player....DVD....all of em.
    What it really does I dunno? I'm not THAT technical! :D

23. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

He's popular with the people that read Classic FM's magazine over here.

24. Graphyfotoz

Never found that Magazine here but BBC Music Magazine I got in the early days here was GREAT!
    Full of great info and reviews on all aspects of Classical Music.
    Cd that came with em was pretty good back then too(1990's).
    I see it still on the shelf here but pretty costly now.
    IIRC the last issue I got was $9.95 USD....with the Cd back then I thought that was justifiable.

http://www.bbcmusicmagazine.com/

25. Can't find pics for some of these early JPN CDs.

Bruno Walter Mozart: Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, K.550/Symphony No 41 in C Major, K.551, “Jupiter”
    (Japan, CBS/Sony, catalog number 35DC 75, released in Japan)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.