Jethro Tull - Stand Up 40th Anniversary release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

If one listens to the original UK vinyl, the first pressing had a slightly wider stereo mix than all subsequent pressings I've heard (narrowed). I actually prefer the first.

2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

You can say that again.

:whistle:

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I really hope they'll reissue Thick as A Brick in 2012 with all the original newspaper :wave:

The remastered edition is a huge disappointment both in sound (denoised to death) and artwork (not the original newspaper included, only portions of it)

I wonder if they have a 1972 concert in their vaults

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Is this out yet?

5. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

that's news to me. I've seen a few posts from forum members who think the 25th anniversary edition, for cd, was not bad. Huge disappointment, not so for the artwork either, considering the only thing you had on cd prior was a simple insert with the front cover on it.

6. vinyl diehard

Are you talking about the 25th anniversary cd edition? It has the entire 12 page newspapaer; the only thing missing is a small article part way through on Chrysalis. Except for that excusion, it's complete. I compared it to my LP version this morning.

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

mate, the 25th anniversary (that one with the bonus track @ MSG and interview) does not have the complete artwork. Missing about 30-40% of the original newspaper

Check this page :righton:
    Here's the real thing. Click on every number "Jump to page..." to see the page in full :wave:

Also, on every page you can click certain areas to see "articles" of the page in full http://www.orthogonal.com.au/music/taab/full/brick01.htm

the 25th anniversary edition not only does not have the complete artwork, IT CHANGE IT in several pages. Check the CD "newspaper" again. You'll see a lot of stuff that never appeared on the original LP :shake:

http://www.orthogonal.com.au/music/taab/full/brick01.htm

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

wikipedia says it so :wave:

The original LP cover was a spoof of a twelve by sixteen inch (305 by 406 mm) multipage local newspaper with stories, competitions, adverts, etc., lampooning the parochial and amateurish local journalism that still exists in many places today, as well as certain classical album covers. It even contains a review of the album itself! The "newspaper" also includes the entire lyrics to the song, and references to the lyrics are scattered throughout the articles. The spoof newspaper had to be heavily abridged for conventional CD covers, but the 25th Anniversary Special Edition CD includes a partial facsimile; some content is missing, such as the original connect the dots activity and part of the "front page", however the picture was restored to its full size which restored the entire image of "Gerald's chum", Julia.

9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Great news. Re this live 1970 Carnegie hall performance, is that audio only, or video as well, so that we can expect a DVD to be included in the 3 disc reissue set?

10. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

I'm confused if this is audio only Carnegie Hall because that's been released already.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

AFAIK the 1970 show is the only time Tull played at Carnegie Hall.

12. vinyl diehard

My 25th anniversary has 99 percent of the original.

Only difference is on page 5. Article on Chrysalis not included, but another one is in it's place. Otherwise, complete.:righton:

13. vinyl diehard

Bull$..t - I have the connect the dots activity AND the entire front page in my 25th anniversary copy. So there:D

Maybe you shouldn't always use Wiki as the only source, since I'm telling you I have the original vinyl with newspaper and the 25th anniversary CD, so I can compare the 2 myself. Page 5 contains the ONLY alterations to the newspaper. Chrysalis article on page 5 was moved to page 12. The only article missing is "Reprise boss in hotel thief".

14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Maybe Wikipedia has a Wal-Mart version.

15. vinyl diehard

I had read the wiki description awhile back and knew then it was incorrect. I guess that's some of the problem with wiki is, it seems, people can add material without verification.

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I didn't use wikipedia as only source mate

I see obvious alterations. I don't think the original LP featured billboard charts and all that included on the CD

check my link :wave:

17. jrice

jrice Senior Member

I've gotta agree with vinyl diehard here. My 25th Anniversary CD contains the full 12-page newspaper with a minor difference on page 5 and there certainly isn't 30-40% missing. And what's this about Billboard charts? I can't see that in my copy. Maybe we're speaking about two diiferent releases (different countries)? Mine is CDCNTAV5 (UK) - 7243 8 57705 2 4 and the newspaper is 11" x 13.5" in size.

18. vinyl diehard

I stand by my post. As I said, I have the original Canadian JT TAAB with the newspaper. It matches the one on the link given earlier as well, except for the altercation of one article moved to page 12. Maybe your edition, if you own it, is different.

19. tootull

Regarding the Thick as a Brick newspaper- Spot the changes: :D

On my original LP cover it has No. 2072 on the front cover banner. “Manufactured and distributed by WEA Music of Canada Ltd ©1972 Warner Bros. Records Inc.” is on the back cover under Reprise boss in hotel theft.

UK 25th anniversary EMI100 Late Extra CD (7243 8 57705 2 4) has No. 1003 on the front cover banner.
    Page 5 added Towns Have Close Affinity & Compulsory Art Move
    Moved from page 5 to back page 12: Chrysalis and Bostock Firm Foundation Deal.
    Added to back page: Snooker Big Break By Nat Pons
    Removed from the newspaper (back page): Reprise boss in hotel theft.

Note that a lot of Tull fans like the sound of this UK 25th anniversary CD - I've been lectured outside of this forum a few times because of my preference in stereo for the MFSL. The remaster sounds good to me with Logic7 or Dolby II music surround modes because of its aggressive mastering.

20. vinyl diehard

TooTull,

Thanks for the detailed summary. All in all, minor changes with only one article removed from the original newspaper.:cheers:

21. tootull

:righton:

...with these CD additions:
    Page 5 added Towns Have Close Affinity & Compulsory Art Move
    Added to back page: Snooker Big Break By Nat Pons

22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I seem to remember that the UK paper had no mention of a Reprise boss, and of course the 1003 referred to the Chrysalis catalogue # in the UK which was different from the US Reprise.

23. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

They actually played Carnegie Hall a few years ago and performed the entire Aqualung.

24. Warchild

Warchild Forum Resident Thread Starter

An update on the Stand Up Special edition release:

On hearing that the 1970 Carnegie Hall concert was to be included in the package I wanted to know if they were going to use the same track selection and mix as appeared on the 1993 25th Anniversary box set disc (i.e. No start-of-concert announcer's introduction, 'By Kind Permission Of' or 'Dharma For One' and nasty digital effects on Ian's vocals and flute)....
    So I've been in contact today with a someone at EMI who is overseeing this release who states that:
    'the Carnegie Hall Show has been mixed from scratch and approved by Ian Anderson. The show will appear as the bonus CD to the release and in hi-res stereo and 5.1 on the DVD in the package'

A bit of further probing suggests that we will have (CD1) new stereo mix of Stand Up with remaining 1969 BBC session tracks and possibly original mono mixes of LITP and Driving Song; (DVD) new stereo and 5.1 mixes of Stand Up and Carnegie Hall 1970; (CD2) new stereo mix of complete Carnegie Hall 1970 concert.

Apparently the 'music is mastered and finished' and they 'hope to have the record out in September' in the UK at least.

Sounds good to me. I just hope they don't consider this the last Jethro Tull 'special edition' release as Benefit and particularly Aqualung are crying out to have better mixes made from the multi-tracks. I would have thought that Carnegie Hall would have made a more appropriate addition to a new release of Benefit but, well it's a minor niggle really.

25. Warchild, thanks for the excellent update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.