SONY SXRD 60"...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Back when I did the exchange, they didn't require a photo, just send in the serial # on a piece of paper. Guess they felt some people were taking advantage of the situation.

I never did receive an email from Sony during the entire process. I had to call them at one point to make sure all was well.

After about 3 weeks I did get a 55EX500 Bravia.

2. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

67 Chevy,

Sony replaced the optical block (the light engine) on my TV, not the bulb, which I had just recently replaced(The first one in 3 years!) The extended warranty on the light engine excludes the bulb, I just checked on the website, but here's the link:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=277

BTW, the tech who fixed my TV told me that the price of the light engine alone was about $760!!

3. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Thank you for the information, I understand (better) now. I haven't had any problems with the light engine (or green blobs), just with the bulbs. When new, the screen brightness is fine, almost too bright, but after about 3 or 4 months (going by memory, not notes) it began to dim slightly, most noticeably when viewing from an angle off to one side or the other.

It then seems to stay at about the same level of brightness for a few months (less bright than when new, but still acceptable), but then begins a steady, gradual decline in brightness. The original bulb imploded with an audible pop (or exploded? either way, all the pieces were still inside the bulb-housing), and I never saw the pop-up screen warning that the original bulb needed replacing. The replacement bulb is still working, but the on-screen warning that the bulb needs to be replaced has been coming on (when the TV is first turned on) over the last two weeks or so.

That has been my general experience, both with the original bulb that came with the TV when new, and the first replacement bulb.

4. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

If you look on page 54 of your manual (if your set is the same age as mine), you will see that you need to reset the Lamp Replacement option under the Setup settings. If you didn't do that, your set thinks that the bulb you have in is the original one. I've never had a problem with brightness dropping off, but I don't leave the set in the Vivid mode, as that mode is mostly for viewing in a brightly lit room or in-store demonstration. Try adjusting the picture settings with a set-up disc, or using the THX set-up on a Disney film like Monsters, Inc.. I think, but don't know that running your set on full brightness can shorten the life of the bulb.

5. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Hi Joe,

My manual has the lamp replacement instructions on page 44. I don't remember doing it specifically (it has been a while), but step number 10 says to set the Lamp Replacement option in the General Settings, so I'm pretty sure I did that at the time. If I understand the manual correctly, I must have, because the on-screen message saying to replace the lamp hasn't started popping up until recently.

I checked the screen settings, and it was set to "Standard". The "cinema" setting was too soft for regular TV, and "Vivid" was way too bright, at least when the bulb was new.

I will try the picture set-up disk when the new bulb arrives. The one I can find is old, called "Video Essentials: Mastered in 4:2:2 Component Digital", copyright 1997. I don't suppose that will work for the video portion (I don't have a surround-sound set up) on a 2008 TV set?

6. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I used the setup disc that came with my TV that Circuit City provided when I bought the set, but I have also used the set-up portion of the various Pixar films with very good results. I also checked on-line and there are a couple of others that seem recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001UM29OC/ref=nosim/panandscathed-20

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001UM29OC/ref=nosim/panandscathed-20

If you've had good results with what you've used in the past, I'd go with that, although it might be a good idea to get a newer disc in HD. Others on this forum may also have suggestions for which calibration disc is best.

7. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Hi Joe,

A newer disc in HD only makes sense, and thank you for the links! :righton:

Justin

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

How many still have working SXRD's?

9. JohnG

Mine's still going strong.

10. audiomixer

John, I forget. Did you have your OB replaced?

11. JohnG

yes, it was replaced once and has been great for years now (no green blob).

12. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

My second SXRD is still going strong!

13. audiomixer

I still love this television!

14. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I just received a replacement bulb from Amazon and I only paid $104.99 for it. It seems like a great deal, but it came in a box with no Sony markings on it. It also was not sealed in plastic as the last bulb I bought.

I actually thought it was used, but according to the shipper that's the way they came. I'm a little dubious but it was sure cheap. I guess the smart thing would be to use this one and put the month old Sony replacement bulb back in the box. I'd be real bummed if I wait till I need the new bulb only to find out it is no good.

Btw, the picture looked like crap when I replaced the bulb but after a day it looked great again. I'm not too sure what that was about.

15. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I purchased mine in November 2006. I had the OB replaced last November (2009) and it has been working fine. I am on my second bulb, and anticipate I will have to replace this one in a month or two. I had to replace my first bulb before owning the set two years.

16. JohnG

I'm on my second bulb in 5 years. I have a replacement backup from Sony in the closet.
    My PC Richards warranty is still good till October 2010, so maybe I should call them up and get a new bulb before the expire date.

17. audiomixer

I would...

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Way back when this thread was relatively new, I kept getting "put down", for lack of a better term, for not having an official SXRD model. We have the 55XS955 model that was out about a year earlier.

Well, I'm happy to report that not only is our XS955 (non-SXRD) still working just fine, but it's still on its original bulb, and survived a 1000 mile move last year.

We just finished watching RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK on it, and it looked marvelous.

My brother-in-law has the SXRD model and has already gone through several bulbs and two optical blocks.

I feel lucky... and sorry for those who were bitten by Sony on this technology.

Harry

19. audiomixer

They still are one of the best and most natural looking televisions around...it's like watching film...it's dimensional. Even with its problems, I wouldn't have traded the years of visual pleasure I have received from this set. :agree:

20. Tristan

Tristan Member

Count us in. Not only is ours still working and looking great but it plays many hours each day. We've had the optical block replaced once and we're on our second bulb. Guess we're just lucky...

Also we received a free TV from Sony recently, too. Not bad!

Love the SXRD!

21. audiomixer

How's the replacement TV compared to the SXRD?

22. JohnG

I got free 55" Bravia too but i haven't opened the box to try that TV out yet.
    It remains a backup.

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Easily the best picture that I've ever owned on a TV and, in my personal opinion, leagues BETTER than any PLASMA or LCD TV that I've seen, at others homes. Still going strong on the original bulb, with no green blobs, since buying new at BEST BUY, at least three years ago.

Need to get a backup NOS bulb, any suggestions, please post here

Chris C

Attached Files:

24. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

Had mine since 9/06 with NO problems - original bulb and OB. Pretty remarkable picture, better than my plasma.

25. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Mine is still going strong after 5 years. Had to replace the bulb about 4 years ago, but it was covered by warranty and I have not had a problem since. My friends with Plasma and LCD TVs are jealous. Still the best picture I've seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.