SONY SXRD 60"...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have often wondered if SONY stopped producing this run of SXRD sets, because they were just too damn good?

Seriously, has anybody seen a better picture, in rear projection, plasma or LCD, than these babies have to offer?

My older cousin recently lucked into one of these, when his idiot Doctor son, with too much money, stupidly tried to replace his SXRD with a plasma. His dad bought the set from his son for about $600 dollars, which was the STEAL of a lifetime, if you ask me?

Chris C

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I think Sony stopped producing SXRD's because most people want flat TV's these days.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Plus it was flawed considering the lawsuit which gives owners of SXRD's essentially heavily discounted new flatscreen TVs (which aren't as good picture-wise).

But is true most people want those flat TVs and the SXRD looks like a behemoth compared to them.

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Update, of which, I thought you SONY SXRD owners would appreciate reading...

Last night my wife and I turned on our SXRD 50" and there was a small gray box, at the bottom left hand side of the screen that said, "Projection lamp nearing end of life, replace soon". I thought, how cool, this TV is actually giving me the greatest heads up, that ANY electronics I own, has ever done. I'm planning on ordering a NOS Sony replacement bulb in the next few days.

Any quick rules of replacing that bulb that I should be aware of, other than not touching the bulb, with bare fingers?

Chris C

5. htom

htom Senior Member

This depends on whether or not your replacement is the entire lamp module or just the bulb. The module is pretty easy to install and for the most part keeps your fingers away from the delicate areas during the process. Bulb replacement involves dismantling the lamp module first and I'd assume that if you went this way (cheaper) that the supplier would provide instructions as well. This one I'd imagine you would need rubber gloves for, or a very good glass cleaner for after.

Given your set gave you a warning one other thing you'll need to be prepared for is how much brighter the image will be for the same settings. I think you should have lost at least half the effective light output from the lamp by this time...

Howard

6. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Actually, I just replaced my bulb prior to having the optical block replaced, and interestingly, I didn't notice a huge increase in brightness. I replaced the module which ran a little over $200. I got it from Amazon as when I tried to order from Sony, they were back-ordered and wouldn't arrive for 6 weeks. If you replace the lamp only, you should wear gloves, but take care that they have no powder or cornstarch on them as that could be disastrous. White cloth gloves would be best, remember any oil on the bulb itself could shorten its life and potentially cause a fire. (That is why I decided to spend the bucks on the whole module.)

7. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Reading all the posts about the bulbs for these types of HDTVs, their dizzying cost and the complicated replacement procedures, makes me realize (probably) why this category of TV has pretty much been abandoned by the manufacturers. Plus it just sounds strange: "Sorry can't go with you right now to the pizza place - gotta replace the light bulb in my TV". Light bulb? Even to this guy who still uses a home phone with a wire attached, that's so.....19th century.

8. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Replacing the bulb module in the SXRD is actually a snap: you open the cover, pull out the assembly with the burnt-out bulb, slide in the new one, replace the cover, and you're good to go. It is only if you decide to save money by replacing just the bulb that it gets complicated.

9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

My next set is gonna be a 3D set for sure. 3D is really coming on strong. If you add up all the content thats being planned and all the TV shows that are going to BC in 3D very soon, you can see that its way more than a fad.......there is big money behind it.

if there was a way to make 3D prints of old movies and TV shows, I think they could make ZILLIONS selling those old shows again.

10. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.