Jake Holmes finally does it - lawsuit over "Dazed & Confused"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swandown, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

its about time. jimmy page copied so much music on LZ1 its absurd.

3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Well they settle with Mr. Dixon. I'm sure that Mr. Page and Atlantics legal staff has been waiting for this.

Cheers, Michael

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Should have been done decades ago. In fact, that fact is probably the best defense Page has going for him.

5. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Good for Holmes. Though he'll have an uphill struggle now that he's waited so long. David P. Jackson Jr. lost his "Joy to the World" lawsuit mainly because of a similar delay. Holmes is in a slightly better position than Jackson, since he did register a copyright for "Dazed and Confused" when he first came up with it.

6. Seconded. Mr. Page has stolen millions of dollars by crediting the song to himself. The millions of copies sold for the band's debut, the 1990 Remasters set and the band's live albums, Jake Holmes has been denied a lot of money.

7. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Indeed. What excuse is he going to furnish the court for the delay? He can hardly argue he was unaware of the Led Zep song.

8. swandown

And that just begs the question: why would Holmes deliberately allow himself to be denied all that money over the past 40 years? He'll be lucky to recoup a fraction of what he could have (and should have) received.

9. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

The timeline wasn't an obstacle in the recent Men At Work vs Kookaburra plagiarism trial , which they lost . But that was in an Aussie court :confused: < [there should be a 'dazed' smilie to go with this !]

10. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Surely it would be far easier and sensible (and cheaper) to agree to an "out of court" settlement?

11. swandown

Holmes claims that he approached the band in the 1980s and requested compensation, but was rebuffed. He never followed up on that until yesterday.

There are also rumors that Holmes did, in fact, agree to a secret out of court settlement in 1969 -- before he realized how huge Led Zeppelin was going to become. It will be interesting to see if Jimmy offers any proof of such a settlement.

Then again, Jimmy may not need to if the statute of limitations has expired.

12. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

Guilty as charged ! [​IMG]

13. Well, Willie Dixon waited 15 years to launch an infringement suit over "Whole Lotta Love", and got a good out of court settlement for it. Maybe Holmes is expecting about the same, as according to this link, the statute of limitations is only three years after the date of infringement.

At any rate, agreed it's about bloody time Holmes did something. Letting such a blatant case of songtheft stand for so long was nuts.

EDIT: OK, I see the suit alleges "ongoing infringement" owing to the licensing and collection of royalties on the song within the past three years, not least on the Mothership set. I would've thought he'd demand a composer's credit here, but maybe this isn't the place for that.

14. zen

zen Senior Member

He's NO match for the mighty Zepp!

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I predict an out of court settlement at best.

16. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Is it possible that he didn't pursue legal action earlier because he didn't have the financial resources to do so.

17. I dunno; he became a pretty successful commercial music writer (he did the jingles foe "Army: Be all that you can be" and "Gilette: the best a man can get") so I assume he was doing well enough for himself to finance a suit.

18. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I think a lot of lawyers would have worked for free on this case knowing he would probably win.. Not sure why he waited so long....

20. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

One would hope that Page & Co. have enough class to settle fairly out of court... it should have happened a long time ago. Jimmy should also issue a personal apology to Jake Holmes and a public apology to the music fans he's hoodwinked for 40-odd years.

Is that asking too much? It's time Jimmy shed some of the bad karma he's been shouldering.

21. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Led Zep copied other's music?

I'm shocked.

22. Maybe he'd instantly regain his old chops! ;)

23. swandown

Why should he apologize to the fans? Do you think there are fans out there who bought albums (or went to concerts) solely because they thought Jimmy wrote "Dazed And Confused"?

24. It looks like suit has life due to the new entities created by Atlantic due to remastering, hence he gets around not filing after Anderson Theater album or first Zep album.

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

:laugh:

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.