Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: Jakob Lindberg - Lute Music From Scotland And France

:cool: Very nice music.

2. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

HEY that is the same exact TT I had back in the day! :righton:
    $100 stylist/needle.....when records went out so did my trusty TT. :(

LOL I had it coupled with what was near top of the line Technics AV Receiver.(Below)
    This was the 2nd best at the time with Matrix Surround......was about $350-$400 back then.
    For around $600 the SA-R530 had Dolby Surround and about 100watts more power IIRC.
    Can get same or even better features today on a $100 Receiver!

This goes back to around 1990 :laugh:

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Renaissance music, may I ask?

4. coopmv

Placed 2 small orders over this long weekend with 2 US Amazon MP vendors. Domestic orders will be scaled back this month so I can re-allocate funds to my first SACD player, which will be ordered later this month once I have decided on the model ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am still trying to decide on one of these SACD players ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

6. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Maranz is definitely the sexiest of them all, while Yamaha is the most militaristic.

7. coopmv

Yes. My first CDP was a Marantz and that second-generation single disc CD player was built like a tank and was made in Japan. I am leery about Sony SACD player as I have heard from a number of people, including yourself, that some Sony SACD players have the tendency to stop reading the SACD layer after a while. That is why I am somewhat apprehensive about the Sony XA-5400ES even though it has received excellent reviews for its performance.

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have the Marantz and I love it. No problems and great sound for over a year. :cheers:

9. coopmv

Yamaha may have the best build quality as well. In terms of overall qualities, Sony may lag behind both Marantz and Yamaha. But it has the longest warranty and is multi-channel while Marantz and Yamaha are two-channel.

10. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set, the few remaining sets received from MDT last month ...

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

That Technics SA-R430 receiver is one receiver the present-day techno-geeks would love ... LOL

12. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Oh well, now I see it's a bit more tough decision making. Personally, before I bought my current universal multi-channel Pioneer player, I had been looking at his more expensive brother capable of stereo SACD playback only. It had a supposedly better construction, was tuned at London Air studio, blah, blah, blah... but eventually I went with the multi-channel thingy, since my room has 4 speakers placed as two opposite pairs, i.e. they are at least 4.0-ready.

Also, there definitely are some SACDs (even in my humble collection) that really 'bloom' only in the MCH mode.

(On a side note, my first CDP was a Pioneer, so there was some faith which kind of pushed me to THE decision...)

13. Graphyfotoz

I didn't have a lotta dinero so I grabbed a Like New Sony SCD-CE595 off the Polk Forums for $100 shipped.

[​IMG]

I really wanted the Yamaha CD-S1000 (S2000 was stupid expensive @ $2000)
    I came real close on this one cuz locally I coulda got it for around $400 New!
    I know stupid you say....middle of the Winter time when I was paying a huge heat bill.....it just wasn't in the cards. :(

[​IMG]

14. Graphyfotoz

One of the selling features besides the price on the Sony I got since you mentioned it.

15. From the Naxos American Classics series.

Nashville Symphony Orchestra/Kenneth Schermerhorn - Charles Ives - Symphony No. 2 and Robert Browning Overture
    Naxos - U.S. - 2000/2001

[​IMG]

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

FWIW, the Sony is classified as category A+ in the latest Stereophile "Recommended Components".

Kal Rubinson, who is a member here wrote in his review that the CD playback was a "revelation" and he finished with "For the moment, I have yet to hear a better SACD/CD player."

I also have a McIntosh MCD500, which costs at least 3 if not 4 times more than the Sony, and, although to my ears is a better player, the Sony does not come far behind.

17. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

:love:
    Our discs are Made in Germany. :shh:

18. Re: Jakob Lindberg - Lute Music From Scotland And France CD

Good question. On the album Lindberg is playing both a Baroque and a Renaissance lute. Based on music history with the Renaissance period being 1400 to 1600 and Baroque being 1600 to 1760, the music on the CD is from the Baroque period.

The music on the alum dates from the early 1600s up to 1700.

http://www.musicamano.com/ (Lindberg's Web site)

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Lindberg-Jakob.htm (bio)

19. coopmv

No doubt this decision will be tough to make. One reason I have not bothered with any SACD player is I already have the following redbook CDP's when I went on a hardware shopping spree a few years ago. They are all excellent but none can play the SACD layer of my hybrid SACD's. But it looks like SACD players may not be made for much longer and I have a still growing SACD collection, which now has about 250 titles whose SACD players I have never listened to ...

Attached Files:

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

the NSO recordings for Naxos range from good to excellent.the Naxos
    US office is in Franklin, just south of Nashville, & they have recorded a
    series of good-sounding discs with our fine orchestra.

21. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I am very happy with my Yamaha CD player (and Yamaha Amp, for that matter.) However, I am disheartened to see that an SACD player by them would be over $1000. Luckily, I have read that the difference in SQ between redbook and SACD is not very big. Besides, I don't have that many SACDs anyway.

I wish you luck in your deciding, Stuart! :wave:

22. coopmv

I have much de-emphasized playback equipments and emphasized music over the past few years. Other than headphones, I have not bought any new electronics or speakers over the past 4-5 years ...

23. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Hey! :wave:

How much is that SONY? Can you post the model number?

24. coopmv

George, Since you are primarily focused on piano works and there are not that many SACD titles on piano, there are few benefits you can reap by getting an SACD player. Indeed, many of the 24/96 redbook CD's sound great ...

25. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set. I have really come to enjoy these early to mid-career recordings by Harnoncourt ...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.