Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Not quite. It still beats the pants off of any iPods ...

2. coopmv

The only Sony I have ever owned were some Walkman, which I gave to one of my sisters and a Discman, which my wife gave me a number of years ago and played a few months ago during a 72-hour blackout. Then I have 2 Sony ES CD changers. I have never owned any Sony receivers (have been on separates since the early 80's). I have no need for a Sony receiver when there is a Norwegian beauty like this ...

Attached Files:

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Sheep Go To Heaven

Hey—Those $2000 Stax Earspeakers are plum wore out. I have to replace the earspeakers themselves. The j-fet to triode amp works wonderfully, as always. But I need to be making a lot more moolah before I pay the tab for that sort of entertainment.

My amp was free. I haven't paid for the turntable yet, the SACD player was $130, the Bybee filter attached to the SACD player—handed over to me by Jack Bybee hisself—was $125, the Van den Hul 14 gauge silver-clad copper crystal wire I soldered to the Bybee filter set me back about a hundred bucks for raw materials and is attached to about six dollars worth of hospital plug. I put $200 of MIT caps into my ac filter. There's another four hundred bucks in cables, a lot of it being DIY derived from Canare Star-Quad microphone cable. The rolling roadie rack was free as was the bookshelf that houses the oversized receiver—the Kenwood KR 9600 is such a joke, rack handles on gear too wide to stick into a rack. My Tascam DA-30 DAT recorder set me back a whole $80, hardly ever use it. Found my NAD 7020 at a thrift store for $20, its phono stage beats the holy crap out of the Kenwood KR 9600. My hairdresser* sold me a pair of DCM Time Frames for $65, I spent another $30 replacing the mid-bass drivers. The Paradigm Titans were picked up at the same thrift store where I found the NAD 7020, they were about $20. I successfully re-foamed its mid-bass driver, piece 'o' cake.

I am such a freakin' cheapskate.

*Barberess? Barberette?

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Check out these knobs!

Wow!

Attached Files:

5. coopmv

Now playing CD13 - Barcarolle, Berceuse, Allegro de concert, etc. the last CD from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

6. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Much of my Classical listening comes from NPR online these days. I'm very impressed with the new quartet Brooklyn Rider, who have the same sort of fire that Kronos had at the start. There's a great Cage piece on nprmusic.com at the moment. If your computer will take it, their video tiny desk concert in the All Songs Considered office is pretty energetic too. It's a nice 270MB download.

7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

First listen to this one.

8. coopmv

How does he compare with Pascal Roge?

9. George P

Similar tempos, more extroverted playing and older sound. Not as good IMO.

10. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

J.S. BACH: Violin Concertos 1 & 2; Concerto for 2 Violins
    Christopher Hogwood, Academy of Ancient Music
    Jaap Schröder, Christopher Hirons - Violins

CD (L'oiseau Lyre, 400 080-2)

11. coopmv

I have a whopping 7 CD's on works by Erik Satie and started the little collection purely by accident - after some late night listening to WQXR ... :winkgrin:

12. George P

Who do you have playing on those?

Satie's music seems to elicit strong opinions either way. People either love him or hate him. I love him. His music is hypnotic, etheral and gorgeous. In the right hands of course.

13. coopmv

Ciccolini and Roge. But how can anyone dislike the Gymnopédies? They are so lyrical ...

14. George P

:agree:

These days, I like the Gnossiennes best of all.

15. coopmv

Now playing CD6 - Works of Debussy and Ravel from this set ...

[​IMG]

16. George P

Now playing more from my new 6CD Ciccolini set, specifically the Chopin Nocturnes.

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

Cannot wait to find out how Ciccolini's Chopin Nocturnes stack up against Moravec's ...

18. George P

So far, I like them more. :shh:

Moravec is great, but I like Arrau and Wasowski more.

19. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Pffffff I'm a bargain hunter myself......I won't pay full price for anything if I can help it.
    The Wife and I don't make a lotta money so I'm thrifty with what I do have to spend.

My Yamaha RX-V459 90watt I got from a local store going outta biz.
    Was a shelf model for only a week.....essentially NIB.....$90 cash!
    My Sony SACD 5 disk $100 from Polk Forums......My Sony 5 Disk CD $130 New local buy(Recent)(No ES :( )..... my Polk RTiA1's were $100 NIB ebay.
    My Polk surround speakers RTi15i's LN $75 from Polk Forums.
    Polk CS150 Center Channel I've had forever
    Velodyne DPS-10 Powered Sub (375 Watts Peak, 185 Watts RMS) NEW off ebay last year $270 shipped.

So it's not really junk but not half as nice as what many of you own.
    But for what I have in it....quite efficient and sounds really nice in my limited space. :righton:

I've done pretty good selling on ebay in the past or I wouldn't have what I got.

20. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

No it's not. :thumbsup:

21. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Beethoven: Violin Sonatas 5 & 8
    Menuhin/Kempff
    DG Galleria 427 521-2 Made in Argentina :eek:
    A well played airy recording that's stood the test of time

Dvorák Symphonies 7 & 8
    BPO Kubelik
    DG from the box set mention a few pages back.
    Lively well recorded interpretation with appreciable more 'air' in 8 than "The Originals" cd collection issue.

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I like this so much, I gave up looking for other versions after one such attempt (don't know who, but it was on EMI).

23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I had the same problem with the Sont SCD 555 ES. It made two trips to the repair shop under the 5 year warranty. When it failed again I replaced it (upgraded really) with the Ayre C-5 player.

24. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Geee I thought the ES stuff was a lil better than that!
    Could also be a random incident?

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Is it just my impression or is Byron Janis really kind of underrated?

I am listening now for the hundredth time to his Prokofiev 3 with Kondrashin and the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra (Living Presence LP) and I cannot stop admiring his playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.