Jethro Tull - Stand Up 40th Anniversary release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Thank you, Don.

2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Were these (Towns Have Close Affinity - Compulsory Art Move - Snooker Big Break By Nat Pons) part of the first UK LP newspaper?

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Thanks. I would've hoped for Sweet Dream mono and stereo as well and you're right. 1970 is technically a Benefit show. They don't have any live shows from 1969 in the vaults???? or at least none Ian is fond of, I suppose........

4. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Thanks again for the update (#74 above). I'm so there, just hoping for a decent remaster (is how "This Was" special edition turned out any reason for hope? I don't have that special edition).

Regarding our wishes for special editions of Benefit and Aqualung respectively, I can't imagine them stopping with Stand Up, unless it sells so poorly that they are unable to recover their considerable investment in the reissue.

5. Warchild

Warchild Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please bear in mind that the disc contents are mostly unconfirmed (with the exception of the Carnegie Hall remix) but I have been led to believe that broadly that is what we can expect.
    Regarding 1969 live recordings there is of course the January '69 Stockholm soundboard tape which has been heavily bootlegged over the years. Sound mix is generally poor though and there is also a soundboard recording of a Filmore Show from December '69 which has yet to see the light of day. This was also video'ed with a single camera in b&w but the current owner somewhere in NY is reluctant to let it go for anything approaching an affordable price.
    Our best hope of hearing some live '69 stuff is on the www.wolfgangsvault.com website. Bill Graham may have taped some shows or some summer festivals where Tull appeared so start e-mailing them. The Tanglewood show from July 1970 is due to appear at some point. The Who's set was released on the website a couple of weeks ago.

Townsend: if you haven't got the This Was special edition then I'd advise you to pick up a copy. It really is very good.....if you like early bluesey Tull.

6. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Jethro Tull December 1969 Fillmore recording

The Fillmore show was filmed with an early Sony reel to reel portable video
    recorder. The taper was given a feed from the soundboard. I have a 3/4"
    dub directly from the reels. The show is almost complete, it is missing bits
    at the two tape changes. The owner of the reels does not live in NY now
    and has not been trying to sell the tapes. It is possible that another dub
    exists in the hands of a NY collector.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

They need to do what Bowie is doing for station to station and add some vinyl.

8. Warchild

Hello Showtaper, welcome to the forum! Thanks for correcting me on the Fillmore show details. The last I heard was that the producers of the recent (2008) 2DVD Jethro Tull 'Classic Artists' release wanted to include this show on the DVD but couldn't afford to license a copy from the owner.
    It's a real shame that it's not in the public domain though. The 2 clips on youtube show that it's not up to full TV presentation standards but still entertaining enough.
    Whats the audio like on your tapes? Is it worthy of a CD release?

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

This special 2CD/DVD Collector’s Edition of 'Stand Up' contains the following: On CD One - The Original album remastered, + bonus tracks, + a 'Top Gear' BBC Radio session recorded on 16/6/69 and broadcast on 22/6/69, and two Stand Up US radio spots. On CD two are 10 tracks recorded live at Carnegie Hall in 1970. The DVD contains the Carnegie Hall audio: DTS & Dolby Digital 24 bit 48kHz 5.1 surround sound and 2.0 24 bit 48 kHz LPCM stereo (there is no footage of the concert) and an interview with Ian Anderson recorded in London, 2010.

CD 1:
    Stand Up Original album
    1. A New Day Yesterday
    2. Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square
    3. Bouree
    4. Back To The Family
    5. Look Into The Sun
    6. Nothing Is Easy
    7. Fat Man
    8. We Used To Know
    9. Reasons For Waiting
    10.For A Thousand Mothers

Bonus tracks:
    11.Living In The Past
    12.Driving Song
    13.Sweet Dream

14.17 *
    15.Living In The Past (original mono single version) *

Top Gear BBC Radio session recorded on 16/6/69 and broadcast on 22/6/69:
    16.Bouree *
    17.A New Day Yesterday *
    18.Nothing Is Easy *
    19.Fat Man *

20.Stand Up US radio spot # 1
    21.Stand Up US radio spot # 2

All tracks stereo except * mono.

CD 2:
    Live At Carnegie Hall, 1970
    1. Nothing Is Easy
    2. My God
    3. With You There To Help Me/By Kind Permission Of
    4. A Song For Jeffrey
    5. To Cry You A Song
    6. Sossity, You’re A Woman/Reasons For Waiting/Sossity, You’re A Woman
    7. Dharma For One
    8. We Used To Know
    9. Guitar Solo
    10.For A Thousand Mothers

DVD:
    Live At Carnegie Hall, 1970
    Carnegie Hall audio: DTS & Dolby Digital 24 bit 48kHz
    5.1 surround sound and 2.0 24 bit 48 kHz LPCM stereo (no footage of the concert).

1. Introduction
    2. Nothing Is Easy
    3. My God
    4. With You There To Help Me/By Kind Permission Of
    5. A Song For Jeffrey
    6. To Cry You A Song
    7. Sossity, You’re A Woman/Reasons For Waiting/Sossity, You’re A Woman
    8. Dharma For One
    9. We Used To Know
    10.Guitar Solo
    11.For A Thousand Mothers

DVD Bonus Feature
    An interview with Ian Anderson, London, 2010

All tracks stereo except * mono.

DVD:
    Aspect ratio 16:9
    Region: 0
    NTSC
    Duration:
    Carnegie Hall audio: DTS & Dolby Digital 24 bit 48kHz 5.1 surround sound and 2.0 24 bit 48 kHz LPCM stereo

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Okay, thanks for the information Claus, but... is CD 1 a remixed stereo version of the album or yet a new remaster of the existing mix?

11. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Since I'm not a "surround" guy, I'll hang tough with my MFSL of "Stand Up". I think I have those BBC sessions elsewhere, as well as most of the live stuff, I'll have to check.....
    Sounds nice, though. I really enjoy the DE of "This Was".

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Sorry, I don't have any other information.

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Looks like "Nothing Is Easy" BBC version is one I don't have, the other ones are on the 1st Tull boxed set.

14. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

There's a BBC Nothing Is Easy I've had for awhile (undated) that sounds very tentative, the soloing is kinda sloppy. It can't be this version from June.

No mono of Sweet Dream. I don't partularly like the mono, but I wish it was on there so everyone can make up their own mind.

16. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The mono mix of "Sweet Dream" has a single-tracked vocal, and should be on this package, just like there should be, at long last, also a stereo mix of "Seventeen".

17. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

So what is the actual release date now?

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Hopefully a complete one too....The one on the first box set was cut by half.

19. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

I think I'll just play my vinyl....and continue to startle friends by opening the cover....:D

....postscript....maybe not JUST the LP...I just read the track listing on a previous post!!

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I bought mine at Wal Mart and it is complete as well.

21. Warchild

To be honest I'm a little disappointed that this isn't a remix of Stand Up as that would potentially offer more than yet another remaster. The remix of Carnegie Hall sounds promising though.

But the most glaring omissions are the original mono single mixes of Driving Song and Sweet Dream (and possibly the full length 17). I can't understand why these have not been included. It seems that the chap at EMI who coordinated the 'This Was' 2CD collector's edition isn't involved with this release and it makes you wonder if the knowledge of early period Tull is really there with others at EMI.

I will contact those overseeing this release to see if these tracks can be included at this late stage but dont hold your breath.....

22. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I just hope it sounds good. I can't afford the MFSL.

23. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

According to Spin CDs the release date is 9/27.

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I'll get it.

But the inclusion of Carnegie Hall makes no sense. It was from the Benefit Tour. Should have been saved for a Deluxe Benefit. Dumb.

25. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I really hope so. But according to Tull fan boy David Rees, Ian Anderson hates the song.

Agree. My guess is that there will be no Deluxe Benefit.

I wonder if the multitracks for either Stand Up or Benefit still survives. There was nothing from those albums on the "Remixed Classics" disc on the 25th Anniversary box set. As much as i love Benefit, it is the album that might even...errr...benefit from remixing IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.