The Complete Elvis Presley Masters - Sony

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident Thread Starter

When the American company 'Franklin' released the Elvis Masters box set, there was some confusion if this would be the project that Jorgensen was talking about in the past. With this official EPE announcement, we can tell you that this was not the case. Jorgensen will reveal the details of this project in Memphis on Aug 14 during 'Conversations on Elvis'. The details that are known at this time are:

- Every Elvis Presley master recording released during his lifetime, presented in chronological order for the first time.

- Limited edition first-run of only 1,000 copies.

- 30 CDs featuring 711 original master recordings and 103 rarities.

- 240-page hardcover book with complete discography produced exclusively for this collection

- All housed in a limited edition display case

A new website, elvis.com/completeelvis will be online soon.

Source - e-mail.

Attached Files:

2. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Dammit. This is not what I want. I just want those boxes they did in the early 90s but with the new masterings.

musicore77 likes this.
  3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

so it won't really be just 1,000 of them...just the first run...at least they're more upfront about this than the mono beatles snafu...curious to see what the limited edition will retail for and also the second unlimited run will retail for...

4. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Notice it says "limited edition first-run of only 1,000 copies". I would assume that means they'll keep producing more if they find the demand is there.

5. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I am curious of the price as well. $500 for first edition?

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I too would rather they simply remaster the decade boxes. How many of those 711 masters are crappy movie songs?

7. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Aprox. 200.

8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm HOPING for a $500 (or less) retail price, but I'm thinking it'll be more. I'm also thinking the "second run" will be in different packaging, or maybe without the hardcover book, and cost less.

9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Hmm I wonder what'll happen for us in the UK. We didn't even get the full Elvis 75th anniversary set, just a 3CD job. I bought the 3CD set, Elvis Now, and some cheap movie CDs with the new Anesini masters, and they sound just awesome. I hope I can have almost everything in these masters soon :sigh:

10. I sure will have my eyes on this one.

11. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Is there any chance that some of this good re-mastering of Elvis will make its way onto vinyl? I would really welcome hi-res mastered DSD LPs of his 1950s albums - even if they aren't from analogue tape. You just can't get good sounding versions of his early titles, outside of Elvis Is Back and some of the greatest hits that Speakers Corner have done.

12. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

There are a lot of gems hidden among the movie songs—they're not all bad.

13. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Plus, the mastering is so good, it genuinely makes the music better. Just like a terrible mastering job can make me not want to hear excellent music like McCartney's Memory Almost Full CD or the remastered Who Odds and Sods CD, these new Anesini's made me enjoy tracks I'd hardly noticed before. I can't say it will make me play extreme cases like Song of the Shrimp etc again, but you know what I mean!

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That would make the most sense. As said before as least they are not lying to the fans like EMI did with the limited edition Mono box fiasco.

15. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

will this be just be studio cuts?. Elvis had 5 Live albums (not including 68 special and Elvis in concert). There were approximately 60 live cuts (including 2001 theme, introductions, and medley's as a single cut). That's the way it is, I would not count as a live album. Elvis did have a 1 unique live single of AmericAn TRILOGY.

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Studio and live.

17. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

i had best start saving my sheckles.

18. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Then a box set for the 60's material would be perfect.

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think this is the key to the 1,000 run. Considering all the Elvis collectors out there, it might be tough to grab one at MSRP, whatever that ends up being. I don't mind waiting for standard packaging... I have high hopes that the remastering will be good.

20. For The Love

For The Love Active Member

+1

Elvis' version of "You Don't Know Me" from Clambake is great.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'm All Shook Up

How Can You Live Without "Do The Clam"?

Hamhead likes this.
  22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The copy in the announcement reads "every master released" during his lifetime. Does that mean we go without some of that Sun material released post-1977?

23. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

My guess is these tracks will be covered in the rarities portion.

24. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

If I had to guess, I would bet that the initial run will be somewhat (substantially?) more than $500...and VERY hard to get. The question is whether the sets going to "special friends" & family, etc. will be part of the 1,000.

As much as we would like it, Jorgensen has pretty much said that the 50's, 60's & 70's boxes will not be re-done.

It STILL astounds me that one cannot buy a complete collection of ALL of his hit singles & B-sides (with this new mastering) anywhere. Elvis 75 misses quite a bit - and even with the UK set, you still don't get 'em all. It's tragic...and frankly, embarassing.

Dexter

25. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Perhaps that material will show up in the oft-delayed Sun set from FTD: http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/books/sun_book_project.shtml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.