Bob Dylan Bootleg Vol. 9 / Mono Box / Best of Mono News

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LoveandTheft, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

I definitely want the mono box-will probably pass on Vol.9.

2. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

I wonder how the mono CDs will be compared to the current Dylan CDs. I love those, so it'll be interesting to find out.

3. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I don't get why the first 8 albums are being remastered yet again when there are other Dylan albums that haven't been remastered.

4. Probably because the original mono mixes of the early Dylan albums are considered historically important and the Beatles set showed Sony/Columbia/Dylan that you could money by releasing this kind of stuff.
    Most of albums not yet remastered are probably of little interest to the average consumer and that could be the reason remastering them is not a priority. All of the classics are now remastered.

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

A remastered "Down In The Groove" is a must.

All kidding aside I am really looking forward to these. Especially the mono box.

6. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Any truth to the Mono box being mastered from "original vintage vinyl pressings"?

7. "Down In The Groove" will actually be re-released soon, but it's unlikely to be a remaster.
    Sony UK will release three Dylan albums in the "Original Album Classics" series of the box sets. "Down In The Groove" will be included along with "Empire Burlesque" and "Under The Red Sky". I can understand the "Original Album" part, but in what sense are any of these albums classics?
    http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Classics-Bob-Dylan/dp/B003SS5NJ4

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

No, that's a misinterpretation of the original Isis report -- they are being remastered from the original tapes, and they are using first-pressing LPs as references to ensure that the CDs sound the way they should.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Exactly. The line in the report that is probably the source of the confusion is: The albums will be from “Bob Dylan” to “John Wesley Harding” and it is believed that all are being freshly mastered for this release, using first issue copies of the mono LPs for reference, in order to ensure that they get the sound to match that on the albums when they were first released.

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Here's some quick comparison pricing, based on Amazon's prices (and some speculation as to the eventual discounting of the Dylan set). Sorry if I made any math errors.

THE BEATLES IN MONO (13 discs):

List: $299/ $23 per disc
    Currently discounted 36% $189/ $14.53 per disc

BOB DYLAN THE ORIGINAL MONO RECORDINGS (8 Discs)

List $130/ $16.25 per disc

Discounted 30% (my guess as to the likely price upon release): $90.30/ $11.28 per disc

But if we get it discounted 36%, matching the Beatles set: $83.20/ $10.40 per disc

Either way, it's looks much more competitively priced than The Beatles set.

11. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Well it doesn't look like it is going to be as nice as the Beatles Mono Box.
    No vinyl replica sleeves.
    No mono singles disc.
    No Live at the Gaslight disc (you think they would include some bonus to entice people).

Still excited for this though!

12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I wonder if Sony will offer some kind of bonus disc for ordering this through their own online store, as they have for most recent Dylan releases.

13. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

It does say that they will have paper sleeves. I took that to mean mini LPs.

14. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Yes, the one reason it is an essential album.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

That's good, though. I've always wanted to hear the mono mix of JWH. It's a great album, but the stereo mix is a little wide and spacey for me.

16. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Amazon sez:

-Each CD housed in a digipak, matching previous Bob Dylan reissues
    -60 page, full color book with new liner notes, rare photos, memorabilia, discographical information and more
    -Rigid slipcase to hold the 8 digipaks and book (measurements: 5.5”L x 3”W x 5”H)

Down to $116 today.
    http://www.amazon.com/Original-Mono...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1280427739&sr=1-2

17. JuhaS

JuhaS Forum Resident

There really should be a bonus cd of singles included. And maybe Witmark / Leeds demos would be better off as a box set bonus as well and they could release something more worthy as vol.9 of The Bootleg Series.

18. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

Bingo! - though 'Dylan and the Dead' was a curious choice for remastering...

This will be a great set. Yes, it would be nice to have 'Greatest Hits' for "Positively 4th Street" but....just for 1 song you want to repeat all the others? Hopefully the powers that be see the opportunity here [as in Beatles Mono] and release a 'Mono masters' disc for Dylan as well.

19. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Yes! Yes! YES!

20. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I wonder if there will be a Japanese mono box with mini LP packaging...

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for the info.

If these recordings are presented as the Beatles Mono box was (without NR or additional compression), I am definitely getting it. Any word on the mastering used on this one yet?

22. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Can't say I'm thrilled about Bootleg 9, with so many other important eras still virtually ignored. Would much rather have seen a Live Gospell or a complete Basement Tapes or the NY BOTT. I'll buy it and it will sit on the shelf next to No Direction Home.

23. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

This is only a marketing trick to get the old CDs out of stock. Sony used to repackage old and poor selling CDs (obviously the three titles are not the best selling) of other artists in that way before. And they have always been unremastered IIRC.

24. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Slightly thereafter would be George Jackson - has that ever been issued on CD?

25. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Any word on whether the mono box will be limited?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.