Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I missed that - the cover photo threw me because he looked older. Then this is his cycle compiled from the ‘60s and ‘70s and as a whole, has a better reputation than his mid-‘80s cycle, which my disc comes from. But I’ve not heard either complete cycle.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have no clue as to whether Bernard Haitink ever recorded a second Mahler cycle with the RCO ...

3. coopmv

We are less than 100 posts from thread #14. :winkgrin:

4. coopmv

More early music - now playing this CD for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Apparently not. The only one they recorded a second time was the M4, if the info on the mahler150 website is correct. And Haitink didn't complete the BP cycle.

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

HEY!!! I just posted about that one!
    Gezzzzz is there any CD's you DON'T have?? :rolleyes:

7. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Got me thinking Gimell Label now....

I have this one on the spin.....EXCELLENT listening I might add!! :righton:

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

My initial foray into classical music coincided with Bernard Haitink being the principal conductor of the RCO and I have always identified him with that orchestra. In later years, Haitink has mostly conducted the LSO and CSO but neither measures up to the RCO in terms of virtuosity, which is right up with the BPO.

9. coopmv

MDT in UK is the best place to buy Gimell when it is on sales.

10. coopmv

Now playing CD5, the last CD - Symphony 9th from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

In the ocean of music called classical, there are many CD's I do not have. I have only a tiny fraction of all the CD's by the great Sviatoslav Richter. I will try to remedy this shortcoming in the fall. Better late than never ... :winkgrin:

12. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

So is the Tallis Scholars' Miserere. I like that disc more for the William Mundy piece though-Vox Patris Caelestis. I have two versions of that. The other is on this disc:

Attached Files:

13. coopmv

This William Mundy CD on helios needs to go on my shopping list. :righton:

14. coopmv

Back to baroque - now playing CD4 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

15. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I first heard Mundy's Vox Patris Caelestis on a now defunct classical station and still have the cassette tape of that-for sentimental reasons. It's so hard to describe how moving and gorgeous it is. Definitely 'Cathedral Music'.

16. coopmv

I never knew there were many early music composers other than Tallis, Byrd and Dowland who had composed some absolutely beautiful music until I took the plunge last year in my quest to significantly build out my early music collection. Names like Gombert and Fayrfax are now much more familiar.

17. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

Dvořák - Symphony #9 "From the New World"

James Levine, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
    CD (RCA RCD 14552)

18. coopmv

This looks like an older recording since Levine has been with DG for some times ...

19. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Yeah, the recording's from '81, and it's an early CD release. Might even actually be the first Classical CD I ever bought, but I can't remember for sure.

The other CD I have of this symphony is by Václav Neumann and the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra on Supraphon, which I find to be a more "dramatic" reading. But each one has its own appeal for me.

20. coopmv

I have the Dvorak Symphonies cycle by Václav Neumann and the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra on Supraphon. I really have not listened to the set in quite a while.

21. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Sorry for the confusion. Jay is correct. The Mahler 4th I referenced is an ‘83 recording of Haitink with the RCO, but his 2nd cycle started in the mid-to-late ‘80s was with the BPO and was unfinished.

But this 4th is an excellent version and is one of the recommended M4th’s on classical.net.

22. coopmv

I just have no clue who Roberta Alexander is. Perhaps she was popular in the 80's then fizzled out.

23. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

You are right about the eighties. She made the Oxford Dictionary of Music:

24. coopmv

Now playing CD5 from this set for a first listen. I have been nicely surprised by the virtuosic playing of this ensemble. Well, it turns out members of Musica Amphion are all members of important baroque orchestras of the moment such as the Orchestra of the 18th Century, Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra, the Nederlandse Bachvereniging, Les Musiciens du Louvre and The Academy of Ancient Music. Most of them enjoy successful solo careers as well. I paid an absurdly low price for this wonderful set ...

[​IMG]

25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.