Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Finally enjoying my weekend dosis of Beethoven - The Overtüren by HvK and the Berlin Philharmonics at the height of their game - highly recommended just like his rical Leq B. who recorded arguably the finest set of Schumann Symphonies at the Musikverein in the Grosse Saal with the VPO. Charming, romantic colorful with a briliant tonal quality and the right tempo and moods.
    Added a bit of BACH - Savalli's Brandenburg Concertos with the Catalan Reaux 1991 and esp. The Gaede Trio with a smsahing Tour De Force ride on TACET as usual in breathtaking sound. UNbelievable how powerful a string trio can sound at higher volumes.
    All pretty safe and old picks, still quality that makes listening pleasurable. When I wanna discover something new it is the Radio I choose mostly during the last weeks - tired of surfing and sticking behind a keyboard day and night like I used to.. Thanks to a terrible SLOW connection atm UMTS a nightmare...

Attached Files:

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thanks! :wave:

Sorry about the foggy photos. My cell phone's camera leaves a lot to be desired.

4. George P

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

. . . or skipping the whole thing. Berstein's apologia sounds more or less like a wet blanket, the Gould/Bernstein performance pretty much lacks fizz. Funny thing is that Gilels pretty much uses the same tempos in his commercial recording, but has much better articulation and projection of the score.

If you want Gould in a piano concerto, try the Beethoven Emperor PC with Stokowski.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

8. George P

Robin - How do you like Gould's solo Brahms?

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The early LP of the late intermezzi is beautiful and romantic in ways that none of Gould's other recordings are. I know he made other recordings of Brahms I did not like as much.

What do you think of Rubinstein's Brahms First PC with Reiner on SACD? It's my current favorite.

10. George P

haven't heard it.

11. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I hear ya, but I bought the disc back in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s based on good reviews of the disc rather than the reputation of the vocalist.

12. villicodelirante

villicodelirante Forum Resident

Funny. I remember listening to it on its entirety, and deciding that one section (possibly the Rondò) was as if Gould was possessed by Beethoven himself, but the rest sounded like rubbish to my ears.
    I don't like Gould's reading of Beethoven, I think his real strength was baroque stuff. With romantic stuff he seemed to go overboard to me.
    I even find Kovacevich to be at times slightly excessive, go figure.

13. villicodelirante

Attached Files:

14. villicodelirante

You know what?
    Strangely, only now I realize I really had some great time listening to Solti's Mahler 2 yesterday.
    I assume it's a good thing.

P.s.: Would you care to link the relevant discussion, maybe via PM?
    I'm curios to hear what other, more knowledgeable people think.

15. villicodelirante

Oh, fatboys.
    The sadly now almost extinct fatboys.
    Natuerlich.
    I love fatboys.
    They hail from an era in which packaging did matter and CDs were cutting edge - when collecting CDs wasn't too much of an ineplicable anorak thing to a world generously endowed with broadband access and DTT by Those Who Lay Landline Cables. :winkgrin:

16. villicodelirante

"Savalli" is a misspelling of Savall or is a real guy?
    Because I remember being much curious about the latter's rendition of an heavyweight of baroque literature such as the Brandenburgs.
    BTW, is it me or one could even start collecting Brandenburgs and fill a couple of shelves without having duplicates and each performance adding something?
    Which is maybe the ultimate tribute to the greatness of Bach.

I can hear you, mate. I can hear you. :(

17. villicodelirante

Do you recommend it?

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That was the film cast. I don't think they ever did it on stage. On Broadway the original cast featured Ian MacKellan, Tim Curry and Jane Seymour.

19. john greenwood

Also check out his Quartet for the End of Time. It's one of the great chamber music masterpieces of the 20th century, certainly the greatest chamber music piece of the last century to feature the clarinet. Alex Ross wrote a column on it that begins:

"The most ethereally beautiful music of the twentieth century was first heard on a brutally cold January night in 1941, at the Stalag VIIIA prisoner-of-war camp, in Görlitz, Germany."

http://www.therestisnoise.com/2004/04/quartet_for_the_2.html

I see George has already recommended this piece.

20. john greenwood

George - I have that recording, but it is not my favorite, even though Messaien was involved in the recording. My clarinettist friends fault it for being too slow. They prefer Shifrin (which is paired with the wonderful Bartok Contrasts).

21. john greenwood

Back when I was involved in student theater I directed a play where one of the character's plays an LP of the Tchaikovsky 1. (I used the Gilels recording.) I had to listen to it over and over again in rehearsal.

It took me over a decade before I listened to it again. And it still does not find its way onto my stereo very often.

However, last week I put on the Argerich/Dutoit recording and enjoyed it immensely.

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

23. john greenwood

Yeah, it was my first "New World" on CD, but I felt it never caught fire. Which is odd given the combination of composer, conductor and orchestra.
    I have a number of recordings now that I like, but I lean toward Reiner.

24. john greenwood

Second that - I have it on CD.

25. George P

Now I have to get it. Samples sounded superb last night! :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.