Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Evening all! :wave:

Now playing CD 3 (Mahler songs) from this irresistible Icon set, which arrived last week ($18 shipped).

Attached Files:

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

My favorites are the Sixth by Bernstein on Sony, for which, buy the box set, and the Seventh, also by Bernstein, but on DG. Numbers 4 and 9 are more universally loved than 6 or 7. My favorite 4 is HvK's, and again, Bernstein on Sony for 9 (included in the box set).

You can listen to lots of Mahler that was released on Deutsche-Grammophon, Philips, and Decca/London here. It's a website commemorating Mahler's 150th birthday. http://www.mahler150.com/en_GB/home

And here's some stuff to read:
    Here's Tony Duggan's "synoptic survey" of all the symphonies, in which he reviews each and lists his favorites: http://www.musicweb-international.com/Mahler/index.html

Here's another website to look at. Mikrokosmos Records sells lots of classical LPs, but specializes somewhat in Mahler. http://www.mikrokosmos.com/search_classical_records.asp

And then there are the various Mahler Societies:

http://www.gustav-mahler.org/english/

http://www.gmsnyc.org/

http://www.mahlersociety.org/

http://www.mahlerarchives.net/Mahlerites/

And it wouldn't be right if I didn't tell you about Gustav Mahler Italia. http://mahleritalia.bravepages.com/

Attached Files:

3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Now Playing, first time:

[​IMG]

François Couperin, Antoine Forqueray: Pièces de violes

Nima Ben David, bass viol; Jonathan Rubin, theorbo & guitar; Sophie Bauchet, bass viol; Hélène Clerc-Murgier, harpsichord

CD (Alpha 007)

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

When MDT has sales, it can offfer much better deals on the smaller English or European labels compared with any US etailers or Amazon MarketPlace. For major labels under UniversalMusic such as DG, Decca, etc, I have found MDT prices very often not very competitive. You really need to shop around on the internet ...

5. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Yikes almost an entire Classical Corner thread has gone by and I haven't posted anything...I have been keeping up though.

Now playing:

[​IMG]

I also have the original EMI Muti/Philharmonia CD of the Fifth, but am now even more convinced I should get the Brilliant boxset after hearing this. This artwork is lovely though and I'll won't be replacing it with Brilliant's artwork on my music server!

My vote for villicodelirante's next Mahler would be this:

[​IMG]

I'm not normally that hot on Bernstein but this recording blows my mind.

6. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

Nice. Thanks for that tip. We've been recently using the Magic Eraser on our easily stained counters. Works great. I'll have to try it on the stylus.

Evening. That looks alike a sweet set at a very nice price.

I'm currently spinning some Reiner again. What a great purchase this disc was.

Attached Files:

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Who would have thought some Mr. Clean product can be applied to the cleaning of phono cartridge stylus. I bet it works a whole lot better than the stylus clearning fluid. LOL.

8. villicodelirante

villicodelirante Forum Resident

Many many thanks.
    Is by chance the Bernstein 9 you are referring to the same as the one on DG Originals with the BPO?
    Or, is it a viable alternative for a taste of Bernstein's reading of M9?
    I can get it for peanuts.

Note: Long dead. Deservedly so.

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

No, that's not the one I'm talking about. Bernstein has recorded this symphony three times, first with the NYPO (CBS or Sony), the last the RCO (DG), and with the BPO sometime in between. I've never heard the BPO version; it might be good, I just don't know. Someone here likes it. I don't remember who.

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Coincidentally, on Tuesday evening I listened to most of the CD of The Reiner Sound. I stopped at Invitation to the Dance in order to compare it with the SACD version (on "Vienna"). While those sections of the work highlighting individual instruments sounded more natural on the SACD, the tutti passages definitely sounded more spacious on the earlier redbook.

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yes it does, the process is simple. Get the Extra Power pack of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Two of these white sponges will set you back a walloping $2. Take a look at the microphotograph of the 'Magic Eraser':

[​IMG]

That a resin that's turned into foam, then allowed to dry/set. You are left with this very strong open weave material that captures microscopic crud from the stylus instead of smearing it around, like the cleaning fluids do.

Don't wet the eraser, don't use it to clean something else before using it for you stylus. Take out one of the sponges, cut off one of the ends—make it about 1"x 3"x 1/4". Leave this strip on your turntable in a place where you can dip the stylus into the sponge. If you've got the volume up, you will hear a light crunching sound as the stylus and cantilever is dipped into the magic eraser. Do this for a number of cycles. You will also want to first brush the stylus with a brush to get rid of the big stuff—little dust balls and the like. The magic eraser deals with the microscopic stuff that clings to the needle. After using the magic eraser on my Shure 97 cartridge, most Inner Groove Distortion went away. Of all the tweeks I've encountered in the last decade, this is the best and the cheapest.

12. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I too have the Muti/Philharmonia set on my (distant) wish list, it's considered a standard. I have his later remake of the Sixth with Philadelphia Orchestra - it smokes too, I think it's on par with Pletnev's and Jansons' versions, and only Mravinsky is better.

13. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

His Prokofiev is great too.

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I definitely should get some Reiner on Living Stereo SACDs, maybe next month... :wave:

15. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Thanks, Robin, for the microphotograph and explanation concerning the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Will have to try it sometime.

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I definitely need more Prokofiev, esp. his symphonies, so thanks for thumbs up, George. :righton:

17. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

Interesting. I don't have an SACD player but each time I pick up one of the hybrid discs I'm curious to hear the other sound that lies within.

After posting last night I ordered the LS red book edition of Don Quixote.

18. George P

I should say that I can only vouch for the 3rd, but it's a scorcher. :agree:

19. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

The ones I have are AWESOME.

20. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now listening to this CD from my collection.

Attached Files:

21. George P

Was their ever a tougher conductor?

22. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

But it paid some dividends, esp. in his Tchaikovsky symphonies - could there ever be a more terrific and hair-raising version than the 6th from this box set (it was - in an older Melodiya vinyl incarnation - one of THE reasons why once I became a classical-friendly child)? :wave:

Attached Files:

23. George P

Oh, yes. Around these parts, being tough is a good thing.

24. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

WOW it's been eons since I have seen or heard of the Manfred Symphony!!
    Like several years!!

25. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

1000th post of unlucky thread #13!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.