Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=5687801#post5687801

Just a reminder, this thread (and the 13 that have preceded it) is for all things classical music. Post what you're listening to, what recordings you recommend, recent purchases, concerts, discuss works, composers, etc.

Also, beginners are welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have. This includes requests for recommendations for particular works/composers, etc.

:wave:

2. George P

Just want to say thanks to all who contributed to #13 and kept this fun and informative thread going strong!

:edthumbs:

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

4. George P

Wow haven't seen that one before. How is it?

5. I'm gone for a week and you guys made it through a whole thread? ;)

6. George P

You snooze, you lose. :laugh:

7. That's why I'm on the red eye tonight - will be back in action tomorrow morning. :cheers:

8. George P

See you then! :wave:

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It is quite good actually, Gina Bachauer is great as always.

Parenthesis: For those who do not know Bachauer, she is one of the few Greek pianist that became famous outside Greece in the 50s and 60s, although she started recording much earlier in the late 40s.
    If you are interested, this disc provides a good introduction to her work.

[​IMG]
    End of Parenthesis.

Sound-wise, the Ravel, Debussy, Stravinsky recording is also excellent as one would expect from "Living Presence" but I believe that the CD is unfortunately OOP.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This is also very good

[​IMG]

11. George P

Thanks 5 string, I'll look for her in the bins.

12. George P

[​IMG]

Now playing:

CD 4

From the liner notes - "CD 4 contains the works described by Satie himself as fantaisistes (fanciful, playful.)"

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Always a pleasure George :wave:

14. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Prompted by the favourable comments for Thibaudet with this repertoire I picked this up from the bins a few days ago. It's quite lovely:

[​IMG]

I imagine this is a distillation of the "complete works" set.

I also listened to one of the Gorisek discs from the "complete works" set on Audiophile Classics, but was far less impressed. The sound quality was astonishing though, I'll give it that.

15. George P

16. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

WHOA She looks like She could kick some A$$! :yikes:

17. George P

Yeah, I wouldn't want to arm wrestle her.

18. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Does She play Piano or carry it from concert to concert? :D

19. George P

Apparently both. :winkgrin:

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yeah, sometimes these things happen. Last night I placed my own indiscreet order: the Beethoven pno. cti., triple cto., and last 3 stas. with Friedrich Wuhrer on Tahra. I only just discovered that it had been released a few months back in Europe and is not quite to these shores yet, at least on Amazon, except as (YECH!) .mp3 downloads, but I found a source in Paris that was a bit cheaper than anywhere else for the CDs, even with the ghastly European shipping cost. Given that it's the sort of thing that will probably go out of print in about 25 minutes and that I've been trying to locate a mono copy of the 1st cto. for YEARS....

Besides, if I support this project, maybe the nice Tahra folks will bring out what I really want: Wuhrer's Schubert sonata cycle.:love:

When the Beethoven set gets here, I'll report back on the quality of the transfers; from what I'm recalling, Tahra is a reputable label, so I'm expecting they'll be at least decent.

Attached Files:

22. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Just ordered, new from various Amazon sellers (the cheapest new option for me in every case, and I wouldn't have saved much going used):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Just thought I'd drop by to say that I attended my first ever Prom at the Royal Albert Hall last week. For those interested, it was Prom 16, featuring Wagner, Beethoven's 2nd Piano Concerto, and Dvorak's 9th Symphony.

Didn't enjoy the Wagner overly, found parts of the Beethoven to be a bit, well, self-indulgent *ducks* but very much enjoyed Dvorak. So much so that I fancy I may go hunting a good quality recorded performance of same. Any recommendations?

(Oh, yeah, and the ettiquette was as entertaining as the show :) )

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

You can't go wrong with Reiner and the CSO. It's available as a Living Stereo SACD hybrid. I also like Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra which I have on an early single layer, two-channel SACD.

25. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Kertész/LSO/1966

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.