Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

No real surprise in the electronic age to see woodwind and stringed instruments all go hi tech.
    It'd ruin the real "feel" of the Music I'd think?
    No doubt the sound would be spectacular cuz they'd be perfectly electronically tuned via computer or the like.

2. electric man

electric man Member

On the back of the album it says they used two Neumann M 49 value microphones developed in 1949 and two Neumann U 47. It is a transistor free recording and they say they followed the process through the mixing and cutting of the vinyl.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at the Tacet recordings as well. One of my CD players is tube-based and it indeed sounds different compared with those 100% SS-based CDP's.

4. electric man

electric man Member

Before a few days ago I knew nothing about Tacet records until I read a post my a fellow forum member and now I have this wonderful music --not a bad way to enjoy my weekend.

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Welcome to the world of classical music. Nice start.

:wave:

7. Easing into an early Sunday morning...

Neville Marriner/Academy Of St. Martin-In-The-Fields - Haydn Symphonies NO.43 "Mercury" / NO.59 "Fire"
    Phillips - Holland - 1976

[​IMG]

Deadwax - (P) 1976 - 670

For the un-initiated, 670 is the country code for the Netherlands. 320 is for W Germany, 420 for the U.K., and 230 for Canada. Not sure of any others.

This LP found yesterday, was $2. at round two of the classical LP "table scraps" from the same local thrift store as last Saturday's fiasco. This time we showed up around 3pm. Same guy was there, ahead of me, with another stack of classical LPs in his hands. What were the odds of that? :mad: :laugh:

LP is stone mint. :righton: Still in the original shrink wrap, with an $8.95 price ticket on it. Might have been played only once or twice.

8. Next item is very interesting. Found it at a thrift store for $2., sealed! Just cracked it open.

Walter Susskind / CBC Symphony Orchestra - Contemporary Canadian Music: Harry Summers - Suite For Harp and Chamber Orchestra (1949),
    Murray Adaskin - Seranade Concertante (1954), Jean Papineau-Couture - Piece Concertante No.1: Replliement (1956)

Columbia Masterworks Canada - 1961 - MONO

[​IMG]

Performances recorded at Massey Hall, Toronto, 1961.

Sounds very nice. Well balanced mono mix.

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

:laugh:

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing CD 14 of organ works performed by Hans Fagius from the Bach Edition 155CD set.

11. This question is for anybody. It was asked over in the vinyl thread.

Would this LP be uinque to Columbia Masterworks Canada, or would it have possibly had U.S. release? The matrices appear to be U.S. machine stamped ending in -1B and -1D.

The label number is ML 5685.

12. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition & Other Russian Showpieces
    Fritz Reiner, Chicago Symphony Orchestra

CD (RCA Living Stereo 09026-61958-2)

13. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing CD 15 of organ works from the Bach Edition set for a first listen...

14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

OK, think I've got the final setup for my shelves. Here's how i have organized it:

Top Shelf - Soul/Hip Hop/Jazz/Comedy
    Shelves 2 through 5 - Rock/Pop in relative chronological order.
    Shelf 6 - Historical Piano
    Shelf 7 - Sviatoslav Richter, Gilels, Sofronitsky, Berman, Horowitz, Fiorentino, Moravec, Gekic and a few other random modern pianists.
    Shelf 8 - Female pianists on the left, non piano historical in the middle and orchestral recitals (mixed composers) on the right.
    Bottom Shelf - Box sets in chronological order of composer

All my non box set classical are in chronological order, by composer, in IKEA storage units on the wall facing this one. Vocal and Opera have their own section.

Every shelf now has plenty of room for expansion, on both sides of the room. I am very happy with this setup.

[​IMG]

15. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

16. Graphyfotoz

I JUST scored a used copy off ebay for $13.95 shipped. :righton:
    I've had my eye on a copy of it for some time....but even a used copy wasn't all that cheap.
    This was by far the cheapest I have ever found it used....didn't think I'd win it!!
    I'll let ya know how it is compared to my Pinnok Brandenburgs once I get it.
    It has won numerous awards as you can see below...

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/80460

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Na%C3%AFve/OP30412

17. Graphyfotoz

This is a awesome music....one of the first I got of the LS SACD's. :righton:

18. coopmv

Not that I have anything against any Italian ensemble, but my last experience of Brandenburg Concertos performed by I Musici (on LP) was not the greatest. As such, this recording gave me pause ...

19. Graphyfotoz

Understood. :agree:
    I had reservations also but this has won a buncha awards.
    Usually in that case it turns out to be a great CD...based on past experience.
    Not just that but the DVD it comes with is probably kinda kewl to check out! <<Shrug>>

20. coopmv

George, How many CD's are required to fill up every shelf? :evil:

21. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

2,430 on that wall.

I haven't figured how much to fill the IKEA units that I have on the opposite wall.

To be honest, I only really care about having room for expansion.

22. coopmv

The IKEA Benno?

23. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

Just placed the first of the last 2 BIS orders for this month with the following sets ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Guys, can anybody comment on the overall quality/value of this Vivaldi set? Thanks in advance. :wave:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.