Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

What record label is that?

2. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Decca, but it comprises, among other recordings, 3 or 4 separate box sets issued previously by Philips. Most orchestral works are performed by I Musici, while the choral works are conducted by Vittorio Negri.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Vivaldi's Concerto for kazoo and orchestra, Boyd Beaver soloist.

The Amazon listing says this is Decca, but the performers look like they're from the Phillips stable. There's a lot of pre-HIPP performers here, leaning heavily on I Musici and Salvadore Accardo. So it's mostly pre-original instruments Vivaldi.

If you like this sort of thing, you'll like this sort of thing.

4. coopmv

Vittorio Negri is pretty good, though these are not HIP performances. The CD set probably includes some of these Philips LP sets I have ...

Attached Files:

5. coopmv

The orchestral works by I Musici were probably remastered from the recordings that made up this original 18-LP set ...

Attached Files:

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

2 Bennos and three other units. Together, they hold a lot.

7. coopmv

Now playing CD4 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

Unfortunately, those Bennos do not work for me. I cannot find a 6' straight wall in my music room ... :sigh:

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing SACD 2 (Symphonies Nos. 2 & 5) from this set for a first listen...

[​IMG]

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Actually, I'm still not sure if I really dig the HIP thing that much, despite some recordings I've heard are excellent. Probably a lack of experience, although there's always more to music than strings made of guts... Aren't many vintage records more soulful, after all? So it's probably a case-by-case thing for me even in baroque music.

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

They are only good for small spaces IMO. Too much space wasted by all those separators. That's why I went with the 9' shelves, to maximize the use of the space.

12. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Cool looking sets! :righton: Do you particularly like I Musici and, if so, how well does it withstand today's competition?

13. coopmv

Being an Italian ensemble, I Musici had a special knack for Italian baroque works. When I first got into classical music over 30 years ago, HIP had not quite arrived yet in a big way, though Harnoncourt and Leonhardt started the movement in the late 50's and early 60's. When I first started collecting classical music, I Musici was big. That is why I ended up with a good number of LP's by the group on Italian baroque works.

14. coopmv

Just realized I have not quite answered your question.

IMO, The Venice Baroque Orchestra conducted by Andrea Marcon and featuring Giuliano Carmignola, performing on period instruments, is a much better ensemble. For modern instrument performance, I have found Claudio Scimone and the I Solisti Veneti superior to the old I Musici as well ...

I have this Complete Vivaldi Works by I Solisti Veneti ...

[​IMG]

15. coopmv

I have this SACD version ...

[​IMG]

16. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Me too....one of my fav SACD's I own! :righton:

17. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

+1

18. coopmv

It is too bad RCA has stopped releasing new SACD titles ... :sigh:

19. Graphyfotoz

Who was it that has like 30 Versions of the Brandenburg Concertos?
    You have these? Your thoughts of em?

[​IMG]--[​IMG]

I've played the Pinnock version a few times and thought it was VERY well done!
    I do have my reservations on the Italian one but I haven't heard it just yet.

20. Graphyfotoz

Yeah WTF!! :realmad:
    They had a good start on em then NADA.
    I'm just wondering if the SACD format is gonna survive this economy?

21. coopmv

I have 30 versions of the Brandenburg Concertos but do not have the version by Concerto Italiano. I do have the version by the English Concert/Trevor Pinnock and it is excellent.

22. coopmv

Many smaller European classical record labels have continued to release new SACD titles.

23. Graphyfotoz

The only problem is they are releases of Conductors and Performers that are virtually unknown in most cases.
    Not much of more popular people on SACD anymore from anyone.
    It's really a shame!!

24. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Thanks, Stuart, your input is highly appreciated. :cheers: Currently I'm trying to choose the most inexpensive but nonetheless quality way of expanding my rather random Vivaldi collection. The I Solisti Veneti set is just a tad bit out of my current price range (although the price isn't bad), but I'll definitely check the samples and if they are my cup of tea I may save some money and buy it later.

As for other options, if not for quantity (in that regard the Decca box seems unbeatable, if scored at a right price) but for notability and variance, I'm also considering these CDs/SACDs. Are you familiar with any of them? Some of these are HIP. I may also add a couple of aforementioned I Musici recordings reissued by PentaTone on quadro SACDs. This way, I'll cover some ground and won't get any repertoir redundancy since all these pieces are new to me.

Attached Files:

25. coopmv

Check out labels like BIS and Linn Record. Linn recently released a bunch of SACD's by the late Sir Charles Mackerras. BIS has a good number of SACD titles by Neemi Jarvi, who is not exactly an unknown conductor either. To be sure, you will not find any new SACD titles by Karajan since DG is out of the SACD business ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.