Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Close enough, though I'm partial to Martinon's EMI Ravel/Debussy box.

Munch's Boston recordings of Debussy are spectacular. Pity that Sony/BMG did not see fit to reissue Reiner/Chicago's Images as a SACD, possibly the most beautiful of all of Reiner's recordings.

2. Is the above from 1974? And is the definitive version? How does it compare to von Karajan's 1959 DG recording which might be mono? Or say the mid 1950s Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra version on RCA Living Stereo?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Think I might consider getting the Reiner as it's SACD. Amazon.ca still has copies.

http://www.amazon.ca/Strauss-Also-Sprach-Zarathustra-Heldenleben/dp/B0002TKFQI

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Wir genießen die himmlischen Freuden

Not so crazy for his recording of the Sixth. I find the sound a bit thin compared to the Chailly/Concertgebouw recordings. Like his Seventh more. Wish his SACD of the Resurrection was as good as the 1998 performance I witnessed at Davies Hall.

This is worth grabbing before it becomes a collectible, my favorite Mahler 4:

[​IMG]

4. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yes, it was originally on EMI. :wave: This Royal Classics licensed cheapie was issued in 1994 by Disky Communications Europe, although it's pressed by EMI in Netherlands.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Mach Schnell!

I was pointing to Karajan's EMI recording of Ein Heldenleben for its notorious cover, never auditioned any of his performances of the piece. It was one of my earliest introductions to Richard Strauss. My Imprint version is Beecham's final recording. I can't vouch for this transfer, I listened to Beecham's Ein Heldenleben off of a Seraphim LP about forty years ago. I've bought and sold that LP many times.

[​IMG]

The Reiner recording is predictably excellent, the Zarathrustra on that SACD is close to definitive—don't wait, get this SACD now.

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I haven't heard this one yet. Maybe I'll pick it up. I agree with you on MTT's M7.

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Oddly enough, I didn't care so much for the sound quality on the Munch La Mer, although the Saint-Saens is truly spectacular. At least for sound, I prefer the Reiner.

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

For me, when it comes to classical music, performance comes first. Many of my favorite performances are not in excellent sound. Now, in cases where there are multiple masterings of that performance, I am always interested in the best possible sound for that performance.

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

The Sym. in C was a work from Bizet's student days and thereafter lay undiscovered until the 1930s, if memory serves. The first recording, released around that time, was by Walter Goehr leading the London Symphony Or., released in the US as Victor set M-721; it's actually quite a nice account. A fair number of composers remembered primarily for their operas also tried their hands at symphonies--Wagner wrote one, also in C; Weber wrote two, both again in C; Gounod wrote at least two (not counting the "Petite Symphonie for Winds"), of which I have the impression the second (in E-Flat) is least obscure; and even Beethoven, when he wasn't busy with his masterpiece Fidelio, tossed off a few that have clung to the fringes of the repertoire. ;) Anyhow, the Bizet is easily the most appealing of the opera-composer-derived lot, a light, sunny work that never fails to please. I'd say the Weber works aren't too far behind, but they definitely do take second place, both in my estimation and in that of the public at large.

You'll probably hear 100 Carmen Suites and 50 L'Arliesiennes for every performance of the Symphony in C.

10. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Just for the Nocturnes?

11. George P

Yes, I think there's 65 pianists represented overall in the new Marston 4CD set. There's a photo and a short bio of each in the liner notes.

12. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing another favorite R. Strauss CD in a row: Alpensinfonie under Haitink on Philips.

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A great 4th but for the soloists. My fave is Gielen. Near perfect performance of this visionary work. :cheers:

14. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

You might say french orchestral music is Munch's forté (sorry 'bout that) and a big part of the BSO's tradition. I should have mentioned in my original post that the Debussy's La mer on this BSO/Munch CD is fantastic.

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Schubert by Schnabel, courtesy of Robin.

Attached Files:

16. john greenwood

17. john greenwood

Actually, I prefer Reiner's perfomance too. :)

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

So, what do you think of
    [​IMG]

?​

Don't have any version right now, will track down Perahia's or Lupu's soon.

Love the Steven Bishop/Kovacevich Diabellis, BTW.

19. George P

I have many sets of those works, as I enjoy them very much. My favorite is Maria Joao Pires on DG. She dedicated the set to Richter.

20. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I bought this excellent twofer a while back.

21. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I've only listened to it once so far. I'm not in love with the Impromptus, in general, so it's hard for me to tell how much I like any single version.

I really liked Schnabel's Mozart Sonatas on the oldest, crappiest records I think I have ever owned, though. So I remain hopeful.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Diabelli Variations? I've owned Richter—liked the architecture, kinda iffy on the interpretive details. I recall Arrau's late version on Philips better than I expected, never did warm to Papa Serkin's blunt version. But I always though Bishop/Kovacevich's version ideal. Also love the Vox recording of Mieczyslaw Horszowski's:

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - B7 & B8 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

25. George P

No, I thought we were talking about the Impromptus? :confused:

EDIT - I see, no I meant Pires for the Impromptus. Serkin or maybe Kovacevich for the Diabellis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.