Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. I just can't keep up with you guys, but got so much info out of it over the last 14 threads. :righton:

2. villicodelirante

villicodelirante Forum Resident

What, thread 15 already? :D

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow, that's one that I haven't heard. Let me know how he stacks up against the stiff competition?

4. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Another well recommended 2 CD set came in the mail for me yesterday.
    Penguin Guide Rosette Top Award Winner as well as BBC First Choice Award. :righton:
    Can't remember who posted it now? :shrug:

[​IMG]

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

While these Dutoit Planets aged very well, some of his other former blockbusters didn't, for example, I found his Pictures from an Exhibition from the same era rather dated. Just IMO, of course.

6. Graphyfotoz

Agreed as His wasn't a favorite of mine really.
    IMHO this one aged well and is my favorite rendition of that work I have found thus far.

[​IMG]

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

It hasn't been formally released in the United States yet, although Amazon has it as .mp3 download only. US release is scheduled for sometime in the next month or so, I think. Figuring that it's the sort of thing with a catalogue life expectancy of maybe 23 minutes, with some trepidation I went ahead and ordered it from a dealer in Paris dba Clic Musique!, and I must say that the outfit was fully satisfactory: the price was a bit lower than I could find anywhere else; shipping wasn't as quick as with some that I've patronized, but it was within reason; I received update notices about the status of my order (albeit in French); and once the discs shipped they were here in a matter of five days.

The set includes most of Wuhrer's Beethoven that appeared on Vox: the five canonical piano concerti, the Triple Concerto (with Bronislaw Gimpel and Joseph Schuster), and the last three sonatas. It omits the complete cello/piano set that Wuhrer did with Schuster and the Chora Fantasy under Clemens Kraus. I had time to play only one mvt. last night. My impression was that the transfer was good but possibly a bit lacking in air on top; I'll need to check it against my LPs.

To be honest, while I think they are often very good, I've felt that Wuhrer's performances of Beethoven were not always his best recordings; he shines more brightly and more consistently in the Schubert sonatas and the Brahms 1st cto. For example, his Emperor is 2/3 of my favorite version on records: the first two mvts. are pretty close to my Platonic ideal of how the music should sound, but the last is just a little bit too slow. Hence, when I was doing a marathon comparative listening session, Cor de Groot ended up taking the palm. On the other hand, Wuhrer's account of no. 1, as I recall, is very fine all the way through, and he even adds his own extra flourish to the cadenza--nothing elaborate, but pretty exciting when he springs it on you. I'm especially glad to get what should be a good copy of that one, as it has proven impossible to find except in a ghastly fake stereo edition on LP. (I know that a mono release exists--a collector friend, who eventually donated all his LPs, had a copy--but in probably 20 years of looking for it one has never come my way.)

The greatest excitement, though, is that Wuhrer is finally getting some serious attention from the reissue mill. His records, nearly all mono, have been out of print ever since the early stereo era, and he was responsible for some really distinguished recordings that should be common currency.

Incidentally, the notes to Tahra's set indicate that a box with his Brahms concerti will be forthcoming later in the series of which this is the inaugural issue. That, in my estimation, is one of his finest achievements on record, the rather ratty orchestral accompaniment notwithstanding, and is a worthy candidate for any collection of "historically inclined" recordings.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks very much for the detailed info.

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I should add this recording to my shopping list ...

10. coopmv

Unlike the other classical music only forum where there are a few pompous as****** who always think they are the authorities and have the last words on any works, we freely share our insights with a dose of humility here.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, that's been the best part of these 14,000+ posts. Knowledgable and friendly discussion. :righton:

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

On the day I got my first decent stereo system (at the age of 15), I also got this LP:

[​IMG]

(Sorry, couldn't find a bigger pic)

One side is Lazar Berman on piano and the other side is the Chicago Symphony Orchestra directed by Carlo Maria Giulini. I always loved this record (and the cover as well) and if I remember correctly, it's the first classical record I ever owned. Fond memories.

13. I would second that. :thumbsup:

14. Yes, it makes this a fun thread to follow. :cheers:

15. Graphyfotoz

It doesn't seem to take long to cruise threw 1000 posts that's for sure!! :laugh:

16. Graphyfotoz

This one on it's way thanx to George's advice!! :righton:
    My 1st Moravec!!

[​IMG]

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Nice!

I've been enjoying various versions of Beethoven's Archduke lately.

18. coopmv

And many more to come for me. I bought this twofer last year ... :righton:

19. coopmv

Is there an Adrian Boult EMI box set?

20. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Another :thumbsup:!

21. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

You are in for a real treat.

22. Thank you George! :righton:

23. George P

George P Notable Member

You're very welcome! :wave:

24. Re: Robin L's response to my question about von Karajan and Strauss

These threads move so fast, it's hard for those of us who peruse many others to keep up. :laugh:

Robin, in post #955 of the previous thread responded to my question about the various von Karajan and the Fritz Reiner recordings of Richard Staruss' - "Ein Heldenleben".
    [​IMG]

Thanks Robin. I shall put the Reiner SACD on my ever growing "to buy" list. Also, if the Beecham vinyl is good, I might look for that on eBay.

25. coopmv

Lucky you. I was hoping to catch the tail end of the Tanglewood Festival but it is not meant to be since I have to deal with some serious family illnesses. :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.