Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

EMI = Breath of Death

2. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I'm a bit more conservative (or liberal?).

ART = Another Routine Tinkering :D

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

That bad?

4. coopmv

So any EMI recordings that say ART on the CD cover should be avoided. No?

5. coopmv

Don't have a single recording by O'Conor. IIRC, he was a student of Wilhelm Kempff ...

6. George P

George P Notable Member

For older recordings, I have yet to find an EMI ART mastered release that sounds better that an alternative transfer. This includes earlier EMI transfers. In cases where no other transfer exists, they are good to have, though.

7. coopmv

I only EMI box set remastered by ART I own is the Sibelius set by Barbirolli ...

Attached Files:

8. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Definitely - no. In many cases there's simply no alternative available in the CD domain (although sometimes there's an older mastering, and some may prefer it), and an average CD in the series is by no means unbearable. Not to mention, that many are essential for anyone's collection, esp. re-issued as a part of these bargain Icon sets.

But, adding a grain of salt to that full spoon by George, some of the older EMI repertoir in these (and other EMI) series is obviously sourced from 78's, not master tapes. So, there's a chance that Obert-Thorn or Marston on Naxos or somebody else did more satisfying transfers. Pesonally, I've found such cases.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree: :agree: :agree:

:biglaugh:

:agree: :agree: :agree:

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing:

J.S. Bach: Harpsichord Concertos. Christine Schornsheim/Neues Bachisches Collegium Musicum/Burkhard Glaetzner (Brilliant Classics Bach Edition box set, CD I-6)

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Here's one of the aforementioned cases. Based on the available samples, I chose the Naxos CD. Of course, both use some no-noising, and Diva's voice was a bit more to my liking on EMI, but the main difference was in the sound of the orchestra. On EMI it sounded like a cartoonish parody, even for mono. On Naxos - there is a nice bass punch at last and the instrument separation and naturalness are from a different league. I really hear woodwinds, while on EMI there were some screechy parts that resembled woodwinds only after severe abuse of one's fantasy.

Also, the Naxos version has the complete LP track listing for Arabella Highlights, while EMI replaced some tracks with an excerpt from Capriccio.

Attached Files:

12. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

It is by far his best record. Hypnotic.

13. coopmv

Are there 6 CD's in this BC set?

14. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

I always found that the OSM/Dutoit recordings were some of the best sounding CDs out there, especially when they were recorded at the St-Eustache church.

15. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Nope, it's the big 155CD BC set, CD I-6 stands for "CD No. 6 from the Volume No. I". I assume, you also have this? I'm still digging it, and there's a lot of music left for a first listen...

BTW, BC re-issued this super popular brick this year for the third (?) time, I'm not sure if there're any changes to the main contents, but they added a couple of DVDs and re-worked the box appearance.

17. coopmv

Oh, I already have that set. But mine only has 155 CD's and I bought it at least 3 years ago ...

18. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

How good is this? I'm thinking about acquiring some Handel in the not-so-distant future...

19. coopmv

Pretty good. Works were performed by L'Ecole d'Orphee and licensed from the CRD label.

20. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yes, mine also does have 155 CDs, they seem to add a couple, I might investigate what they actually added if there's some info on the internet... A remix collection? :D

21. coopmv

The performance quality of this mega set is somewhat uneven. It is a good anthology but is no substitute for better individual recordings, which I already have many ...

22. coopmv

Now playing CD6 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Agreed, although I still think that this box is unbelievably fantastic (sonatas and partitas for solo violin aside - although even these aren't complete duds, rather it's an alternative listen) - considered, I bought it almost new for $75 shipped. :goodie: :edthumbs:

BTW, my first true Bach experience was in the late 80's through East-German Eterna cassettes of Neues Bachisches Collegium Musicum under Max Pommer. I still have them and there's a special place in my heart for them, thus this BC box has some nostalgic aspect to it, since the same ensemble plays here too, albeit under a different conductor. :wave:

Also, I'm more of a Beethoven/Mahler man, at least in my current incarnation. But I promise you that I'll devote one of my next lives to Brandenburg Concertos exclusively - there will be 2 special rooms in my house, for a start... :winkgrin:

24. coopmv

It seems like Mahler is popular with many people these days. Even George, the ultimate piano lover, has at least one set. I myself never liked Mahler all these years until I gave him another try last year. I now have the equivalent of 5 Mahler cycles and two of them have not even been opened yet ...

25. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

:laugh: One of these unopened is probably by Sinopoli?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.