Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The other set is by Haitink. The Sinopoli set is just like some mystery Christmas gift since I have never had a single recording by him until this set ...

2. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I have only one CD by Sinopoli (Klagende Lied), but I think it's enough to say that he was one of the Great: particularly, he knew like few others what the atmosphere is.

3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Just ordered:

C.P.E. BACH - 3 Quartets; Fantasy in C
    Christopher Hogwood, Nicholas McGegan, Catherine Mackintosh, Anthony Pleeth

[​IMG]

and

J.S. BACH - Harpsichord Works
    Robert Woollsey, harpsichord

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

I consider Gunter Wand to be another excellent conductor. I am thankful to George for pointing him out since I knew nothing about Wand.

5. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

That sounds like something I'd say...

Oh wait, I did say it, because I agree with it :D

ART = Abbey Road Fannying About

6. coopmv

As for this EMI set, I did not quite have a choice. Quite a few people thought highly of Barbirolli for these Sibelius works ...

Attached Files:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I plan to get that set at some point myself. Barbirolli is one of my very favorite conductors. :agree:

8. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

If anybody has heard Symphony 2 from the Halle cycle plus the below one, would you be so kind as to compare and contrast.

[​IMG]

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Russ, do you have Earl Wild's Rachmaninov Piano Concertos on Chesky? I bet you'd love them.

10. coopmv

Russ,

Chesky is a great label and I bought a number of its jazz CD's back in the 90's and was quite happy with the SQ. This Chesky CD is on my shopping list.

11. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

No, but the sound quality of the analog recordings on the few Chesky discs I do own is quite stunning, so I'm interested :) That's not the canoe cover is it...

I'm also planning to pick up the Jansons Rach box set, which includes the PC's.

12. coopmv

IMO, this EMI set is not bad. I think it sounds quite good considering the recordings were made in the late 50's. I did send CD2 back to MDT for an exchange as a few tracks were not playable even on my audio CDP's.

13. coopmv

No, the canoe cover is Earl Wild's Chopin Nocturnes released on his own Ivory Classics label. BTW, the Nocturnes are quite good ...

14. George P

George P Notable Member

No. The performances (always my first concern with classical music) are top shelf. The CDs are on three separate Chesky disks. Also in inferior sound on Chandos as a set.

I didn't much like those Symphony recordings, but the concertos (available separately) are wonderful.

15. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Interesting, Chandos CDs usually sound pretty good. Are they analog or digital recordings?

I have the single disc of S3 and like it a lot. I have nothing else to compare it to though.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Analog.

I have a soft spot for Ormandy's SONY set, now OOP sadly. He knew the composer.

17. coopmv

George, Sony could have easily released a 20-CD set instead of this 10-CD box ...

[​IMG]

18. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Now listening to this one, which arrived yesterday, for the second time. I'll play it a few times then go back to my other version, which is Slatkin/Philharmonia/RCA. Initial impressions are very good.

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

I have this set by Andre Previn ...

[​IMG]

20. coopmv

George, Do you see Classical Music Corner catching up with Listening to on vinyl NOW! , which is on thread #38? I think we move a bit faster ... :evil:

21. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Here is the copy I own and like a lot!

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

This should be a good one. I also have this work on an SACD from Naxos

[​IMG]

23. George P

George P Notable Member

It's not a race. :laugh:

Now playing:

[​IMG]

24. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Pulled the trigger on this one. Don't know much anout that composer, though. 2010 release.

Anyone familiar with it ?

Attached Files:

25. coopmv

Enjoy! IIRC, Zelenka was some central European baroque composer. I have a few recordings of works by him but really have not listened to them in ages. It is probably a nice change of pace - away from Bach, Handel and Vivaldi ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.